Few suggestions to make this better

• Just saw this on the web, and I can see a few ways to improve the rideablity of it. I don't know if any of this has already been mentioned, but I will post it here just in case .

1. Use concave deck where feet are placed... similar to a skateboard, but exactly the same on both sides. This will help a lot foot grip and turning.

2. The axle that goes through the wheel should ride through a bushing similar to a skateboard truck bushing but larger. I guess the best way would be to have a bushing on either side where the axle meats the frame. This will also help majorly with turning, and with stability and comfort as well. If there was some play in the axle other than wheel slop it would maneuver better.

3. I Think if you did those things you could possibly use a slightly skinnier wheel and that would also be better.

4. Also, The design can be improved greatly IMO. Its too square.

That being said this is an awesome idea/product, and I will probably get one after they have been out for a bit longer.

• @bryphi77 interesting ideas. but i have to ask: by concave you mean with a slight upward bending on either side?
    talking about design: i thought the same until i had it in my hands. get one and you'll revise your thoughts :D

• I am not talking about the kick tail or nose... Thats not needed for this. The concave that goes in the other direction (heel to toe)... That is for grip, stability, turning. It does make a huge difference. I am really surprised that it is a flat design because its already been proven to be worse.

The design is not horrible, but I would have put at least a small 45 degree bevel on the corners. Its better for crash reasons, its more streamlined, and it would make it smaller, lighter, more maneuverable... Less likely to catch the ground or other obstacles.

• @bryphi77, no offense but I think your ideas would be better founded after riding one for a while...or at all.
    I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but there are clearly some dynamics in play that you don't understand having not ridden one.

1. Concave deck sounds interesting and comfortable but the benefits wouldn't be nearly as much as you get on a skateboard and there is the dynamics of the pressure pads which need to sense pressure properly across the board at lower speeds.

2. The wheel is one massive bushing with adjustable stiffness (PSI), so I'm not sure how adding extra bushings would help.
      As far as maneuvering, the wheel shape allows precise carving much better that you get on any skateboard with loose trucks.

3. I'm all for a smaller lighter board, but the tire width makes it easy to ride and brings stability at low speeds or while stopped. The extreme opposite is the product out there with a very thin tire in the middle of the board that is very hard to ride for anyone. The stability of onewheel is super important not just to make riding accessible to more people but it also makes it safe to ride around people. Also the wheel width is great for riding off road and especially on sand.

4. Yeah all of us could get out a sketch pad and design something, but then it has to house all of the batteries and electronics and work.
      Since this was version 1 I'm sure they mostly were sourcing components already available or similar to what was already being made. Fitting those square parts into a round design was probably the main reason for how square the board is.
      Maybe on V2 they will have more resources to make components built for a specific design rather than the other way around.

• Well, Like I said, wheel slop is not the same as having an axle that can move slightly independent of the frame.

I didnt know it had feet pads for control, but even still, it would be worth them making it work with a concave deck. That is really the easiest way to make this ride better.

I am not saying that the wheel needs to be much skinnier. What I am saying is the gained stability you would get out of having a concave deck and better steering would allow them to make the wheel slightly smaller... and still have same stability. This is not a must, but the smaller they can make that wheel the better. I Think once people get better at riding these they will want a skinnier wheel with less slop, but I have never ridden one so I dont know.

I have done a 3d mock up of a design. I will post it in a few hours. Concave deck and independent axle would really make this thing ride better.

• I really want an adjustable/angled sensor..

• @bryphi77 Honestly haven ridden the one wheel , I don't think it needs any more turning action, the two tire edges do a great job of holding the edge, with practice you can practically turn U almost in place on a decent size sidewalk, you wouldn't think it is capable of doing that by looking at it , but it can.:) Truly Amazing .

• @Franky

LOL, I remember laughing my ass off when OneWheel posted that response to that company. Shut down big time....

• Here is a design mod I did. I would like to test this version... I wish I had a machine shop.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpN73td07q8

• @bryphi77 Not bad at all.
    I guess more complex design equals higher production cost. But in this case, that's not the expensive part.
    I'd buy that design.

• @bryphi77 I had downvoted your original post because I hate when people who have never even stepped on a Onewheel join the forums just so they can tell all of the hardcore OW owners that they could've done a better job with the design.

But I upvoted it after seeing that mod. Nice work. Maybe Future Motion will hire you.

• Your design looks nice but it seems like the sleeker design comes at the expense of less space for components and batteries. Range is already the most requested area of improvement which means they need to increase the amount of space for batteries, not decrease. Im wondering if they could design a hub that has batteries around the inside leaving less space within the tire which may not all be needed.

Another consideration that is way different than a skateboard is that you don't/can't move your feet around to avoid coming off the pressure sensor. For new riders or sometimes just in general this leads to foot fatigue on longer rides. I'm not sure if the concave deck would help or or make this worse. Snowboarding your feet are strapped in and are flat. I'd think if concave would be more comfortable, they would be designing boots with built in concave.

The only other concern is toughness and water resistance. The current board is built like a tank which is good because it stands up to tons of abuse without bending or breaking. And new design needs to be just as tough and water resistant.

• Would be cool if Kyle jumped in and gave his 2 cents.

• @Franky If I owned one of these I could have done a much more thorough design. I dont know any of the current specs so its hard to make a truly compatible design. This is really nice product as it is. I am definitely going to get one once its been in production a bit longer.

• @bryphi77 said:

@Franky If I owned one of these I could have done a much more thorough design. I dont know any of the current specs so its hard to make a truly compatible design. This is really nice product as it is. I am definitely going to get one once its been in production a bit longer.

If you owned one of these you'd be too busy out riding to spend time coming up with a new design. I could care less if this thing looked like a stack of bricks... the feel while riding this thing is incredible.

• I ride my pedal bike everyday now... and still managed to come up with this design ;)
    The only reason I even bothered is because IMO this type of vehicle is the most natural way for a human to get around on a wheel. It is the best design I have seen so far. There is always room for improvements though.

I do agree that the feel of the ride is the most important, thats why I made the suggestions I did. I dont really care what it looks like as long as it is tailored to give the most fluid and natural ride possible. That should be the most important thing IMO. Also, durability and longevity of components.

I would get one now, but I notice with kickstarter type products its better to wait for 2nd or 3rd version of the product.

• @rainynite funny you say that because after waiting so long to get my board, I looked at it for 10 seconds before riding and after that I was hooked on the ride and barely ever examined the board itself to the point of neglect. I think this is because when you are riding without pushing the limits, the board just disappears and you are just floating by leaning in the direction you want to go. While this concept has been floating around the recesses of YouTube for a while, Kyle and the fm team innovated greatly on both the hardware and software but most importantly NAILED the ride down in the most intuitive way possible while factoring in safety measures and torque limitations via pushback. I have my own wish list for v2, but design would come last after range, speed, and weight.....however a sleeker design might stop the constant questioners asking if we invented and made our boards.

• @bryphi77 yeah you can wait but you are missing out on what is a good product and an experience that will not be the same with v2/3.

Imagine driving an early gas powered car when the rest of the world is still using horses and buggies. That's what riding onewheel is right now....for those who are comfortable riding such a device.

• Oh, I get it, believe me! IMO this is how humans will traveling in the future. Personally, I dont care so much about the safety aspect of it. If I was to build one for personal use it would probably have some kind of foot straps because it would deal well with getting up curbs. With that big tire and foot straps you could use it like a pogo stick... Could easily get up a curb/obstacle at least.

I am tempted to get one, but its not cheap. If I am going to spend that much I would rather wait for more refined product. Not that there is anything wrong with this one, but just the fact that so many people are using it and giving feed back will cause future versions to be better. This is the first version that is for sale now, right?

This my final list of things that IMO could help rideablity.

1. Concave deck (foot grip, cornering)
    2. Deck that is almost as wide as a big foot (foot grip, cornering, Its not needed on skateboard, but more important here because you have the ability to tip all the way over, wider deck will give more leverage)
    3. Bushings at axle/frame ( cornering, stability, and component life. As it is now the rider is cushioned by the tire, but the frame and the axle do not have any cushion from each other. If you do things with bushings the failure point is no longer the axle or the frame, but is now a $2 bushing. It will take a lot of stress off of all the metal to metal components to have that little bit of give in the system)
    4. Feet straps (if you want to get extreme with it.)
    5. Have 2 versions (There is definitely the ability to make something here that is more than most people would be willing to risk riding, have one version for normal people who only want to get from point a to point b, and another version for people like me who want it to be the wheeled equivalent of going snowboarding down a triple diamond mountain.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.