Side to side play. How to fix?

• May board now has a side to side noise, It's like a clunk noise. Does anyone knows how to fix that? Thanks

• @ricoburgos that's normal on early serial number boards. My board in the 200's makes that noise, my other boards with serial numbers in the 1800, and 2100 range do not make that sound.

• I have the same noise, and I think a lot of other people have it too. I just learned to live with it, haha

• It's bad. does on on both sides. even if you are not moving and you do reals and toes it clunks.. this got to have a fix. A shim or something.

• has anyone fixed this so far?

i also have a board with an old serial number who also has a slight play. alltough it does not affect the riding, I would like to know if there would be a way to fix that myself?

• Nope @cr4p . I sent one of mine to OW for a tune up (mentioned the issue) and they sent it back and said it was normal for early boards. Did not fix it.

• @MichaelW said in Side to side play. How to fix?:

Nope @cr4p . I sent one of mine to OW for a tune up (mentioned the issue) and they sent it back and said it was normal for early boards. Did not fix it.

mhm, ok- so i will have to live with it. it is not too bad, would I would have been happy to fix it.
    thanks for the answer

• @ricoburgos I am with Texas Onewheel and I'm on to my fourth board, my first board did the same thing and it actually still is and runs just fine. It is a little over a year old now and has been clanking and clunking on the reg. They do offer tune ups, may think about sending it in.

• @cr4p @Texas-Onewheel - I just picked up an older board,serial in the 300's and only 9 miles, but it has the side to side play issue.
    Has anyone had this fixed? or do we just live with it?

wr420

• @wr420 : Currently I live with it. Since nobody has posted a solution so far and I haven't been in the mood to try to fix that myself, it still has the side to side play.

altough I also reported this issue to FM when I had to send the board in for a repair of the lights, they didn't fix it.

• Early boards do that. I've only known one person to fix it. Future Motion won't as many have asked including me. My friend who fixed it took the whole thing apart and made a washer to fit. It was a ton of work but it solved the issue. The positive is its not really an issue of safety just a bit annoying.

• @MichaelW is this issue limited to OWs within a certain serial # range?

• @groovyruvy Yes. Serial numbers that started right around kickstarter. From serial numbers ending in 52 to about 1000. Not all of them but many of them.

• Thanks!
    I think I am going to try to fix it. It also has the older firmware so looking forward to comparing speeds between the older and newer firmware.
    wr420

• I have had many early boards and newer boards and I've never noticed any macanical difference at all. Except for the clunking sounds that some of the early ones had.

On second thought they have improved the grip tape. It used to slide and move and you would have to put tiny screws in to stop that. You no longer need the screws.

• @MichaelW said in Side to side play. How to fix?:

On second thought they have improved the grip tape. It used to slide and move and you would have to put tiny screws in to stop that. You no longer need the screws.

I had wondered about that! While I was waiting for my board to arrive, I read a lot of posts about people having to screw the grip tape down to keep it in place, especially in hotter weather, but I've been riding in some pretty hot heat this summer and haven't noticed it slipping at all.

• @thegreck I can see the grip tape on the front pad of my older OW has shifted a bit. I thought it was just not installed straight because it seems like it's holding well but now I wonder...

• Fixed it.

I used one TWO of these. Got it from ORILEYS Auto.
    0_1472615005939_1472614971663391176778.jpg

Here is what I bought.

0_1472615088898_1472615079897355871687.jpg

I used a dremel to enlarge the hole so it would fit on the axle.
    No more knock noise shifting from heel to toe.

Wr420

• @wr420 : thanks for sharing! how quick can this be done? is it easy to do?

• @cr4p - NOTE - After riding it for 8 miles last night I started to hear the noise again. Very slight but noticeable so I will try to find another washer slightly thicker or try to fit a second washer in there to take up the play. i'll let you know how it goes.

instructions-
    It's pretty quick and easy. About an hour at the most. Just follow the tire change tutorial to get the wheel/tire assy out. Once it's out remove the axle block from the side WITHOUT the sensor using a large allen wrench. Next remove the c-clip from the axle. Once off slide the washer on, then put the c-clip back on. May need to use a flathead screwdriver to push the c-clip on hard enough to get the c-clip back into its grove. Something else I did was clean up all the inner and outer edges of the washers with a dremel to smooth out the edges. I also used the dremel on the the faces of the washers.

wr420

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.