Day 2: I thought there would be a learning mode that limited the top speed.

• Day 2: Isn't there a learner mode that limits the top speed ? Shoulder bailed yesterday trying to carve fast. Any skateboarders out here that find the high-speed pushback unnerving and counterintuitive? I like to ride at top speed but once the front of the board goes up I compensate and in some cases it feels like I accelerate and then I just lose my shiP.

• You have classic mode and extreme mode, classic mode is sort of the "learner mode",
    in that mode you can't go full speed or you will get a pushback.

• @dcosmos are you familiar with other board sports? if so, if you check via app and see that you're on "classic mode" but like to ride on top speed i suggest you change it to "extreme mode". afaik there's no pushback in "extreme mode" so you won't need to compensate. when first starting out i had the same "problem", cause being familiar with several different board sports i was used to much higher speeds and the pushback in classic mode mostly caught me off-guard and lead to an unanticipated instability. now that i'm used to the onewheel and its speed limits i can switch between modes without even thinking about it. "classic" feels more natural than it did in the beginning. however, i prefer the "extreme mode" for obvious reasons :D

PS: no offense, but there's no need to make such a long title :joy: whenever i read things in capital letters i get the feeling the author's shouting them haha

• @chabis @dcosmos Just to clear some confusion.

@dcosmos said:

Isn't there a learner mode that limits the top speed ?

That would be the classic mode people are mentioning. It's the default setting of the OneWheel.

@dcosmos said:

Any skateboarders out here that find the high-speed pushback unnerving and counterintuitive? I like to ride at top speed but once the front of the board goes up I compensate and in some cases it feels like I accelerate and then I just lose my shiP.

That would be the way that the board limits the top speed. The way a one wheeled self balancing vehicle work, this is one of few ways to tell you to slow down.

@chabis said:

afaik there's no pushback in "extreme mode"

There is pushback in extreme mode also. Unless you are riding the first version of the firmware.
    It's however much later (higher speed), and a LOT more subtle. It does not push you back much at all, just enough so that you can keep it a the limit without even thinking about it. While the classic mode almost feels like an emergency brakes at times, which can make you lose balance.

I guess they technically could make a mode with as low speed as classic, but with the soft pushback of extreme. And I would love different shapings like this in the future.

But if you don't like the pushback, then switch to extreme, it's a lot better.
    Just be careful with the increased top speed.

• Thanks everyone for the valuable insight. I didn't use the modes other than Classic much yet. I'm glad to hear I can ride with a pushback that's not so intrusive. What about Elevated? Also, how many firmware upgrades have there been? I'm on 3056.

• @dcosmos Elevated is not something you should care about unless you drive offroad on a track or in the forest. It only elevates the tip of the board higher up so its harder to nose dive with it. Use it only when driving in skateparks, forest rides, offroad etc.

• I've found that elevated isn't so great for off-road up hills. There seems to be more torque or something so when a rock is encountered the OW shoots forward with a whole lot more vigor than in extreme mode. I mostly ride jeep roads with water runnels and tons of loose rocks up to softball sized with lots of uphill. I don't use elevated off road anymore. I find I can creep my way more successfully uphill off-road in extreme. Regularly throw 10 to 20 mile rides. Man these things are fun

• @bobobito I've been curious about elevated. Seems weird, like it would just make the tail drag on the way back downhill.

• @thegreck no, I'd always switch back to extreme before heading downhill. I ride a lot of cross country and it becomes a complete pain in the ass to switch from one to the other. Extreme is the way as for now. For me at least. Elevated is a great idea and has a ton of room for improvement, I think. Super steep pavement and it shines. And I mean steep, like really fucking steep. Otherwise it's at a "why bother" sort of phase for me because any bump makes it lurch hard and switching over while riding sucks. One has to slow down a ton or simply stop and switch. Buzzkill. This OW still gets me way buzzed though... No confusion there. It's rad.

• @bobobito I see. I was picturing hills as the ones you go up and down, like on a hiking trail, not one solid uphill ride.

• I ride off road regular, up and down hills, and I haven't once switched over to Elevated mode. I don't even know what Elevated feels like. Extreme has sufficed for even the steeper hills I've ridden.

• @dcosmos said:

Also, how many firmware upgrades have there been? I'm on 3056.

I think it was 1000, 2000, 3000, and the a few smaller ones that passed by pretty unnoticed. so 5-8 maybe?
    Not 100% sure that 3000 was ever a thing, or if it went to something like 3024 or whatever first. I'm still riding 2000 :D

• @thegreck rolling terrain is what I ride mostly. Undulating, cross country jeep trail with lots of ups and downs. Tons of rocks etc. this is where the elevated mode just doesn't pull through for me: 1. Because it lurches forward too much going uphill over rocks, etc. 2. It's a pain to keep my flow on the ups and downs while switching from one mode to the other via iPhone while riding. Buzzkill. I did ride it in Colorado up steeeeeeeeeep pavement and gravel until it juiced itself and I was in elevated the whole way. I carved my way up hill!! It was fun and that is where elevated mode shines in my book. Smooth terrain, not bumpy off road. Sorry for the lengthy verbal spewing on my part, but I want to make sure you get what I'm saying. I have a feeling I may have made things more confusing. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ. I'm not good at this

• @bobobito Haha, not at all! That's good info.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.