U.S. government declares hoverboards unsafe

• http://mashable.com/2016/02/19/hoverboards-unsafe/#CLIuTaHIcaqQ

"While the CPSC's action doesn't constitute a recall by itself, it will almost certainly prompt recalls from major retailers and manufacturers. The notice applies to all self-balancing scooters, including single-wheel devices."

Curious as to how FM will respond to this.

• F*******************CK. I hope @Future-Motion fights this with everything they have! These guys are trying to get rid of the best, the most fun, and the most environmentally friendly means of commuting out there!

• Hmmm... watching that video and reading through the article, even though they do say "including single-wheel devices" once... it seems like the study was exclusively done with those stupid hoverboard things, because they are mostly talking about overheating and melting issues, which are not issues with the OW.

I hate that they're always so all-inclusive with these types of articles that are clearly talking specifically about hoverboards. They're forcing an association in the public's mind that shouldn't be there.

• I agree Completely.

@thegreck said:

Hmmm... watching that video and reading through the article, even though they do say "including single-wheel devices" once... it seems like the study was exclusively done with those stupid hoverboard things, because they are mostly talking about overheating and melting issues, which are not issues with the OW.

I hate that they're always so all-inclusive with these types of articles that are clearly talking specifically about hoverboards. They're forcing an association in the public's mind that shouldn't be there.

• More importantly I think the debate is about the Lithium Ion battery...which the OW does not use. Here is a great article debating the merits of Lithium Ion vs. Lithium Iron Phosphate.

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/power-generation-distribution/123906-comparison-of-lithium-ion-to-lithium-iron-battery/

• @Aswellie Ahh... excellent point. I had thought the batteries were the same type, and the cheaper version was exploding. Good to know.

• @Aswellie Yeah this is actually REALLY info! It's exactly the thing Future Motion needs to make clear to airlines, and should have a sticker saying what kind of battery the OW uses. Or even etch it into the board.

Here's what I pulled from the article that we as the OneWheel community can start telling people who try to say the battery in the OW is hazardous:

Battery Types:
    -- Hoverboards use a Lithium Ion (Li-ion) battery
    -- OneWheel uses a Lithium Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery

OneWheel Battery:
    GOOD: The LiFePO4 battery has superior chemical and thermal stability, and it remains cool at room temperature.
    GOOD: LiFePO4 is a nontoxic material.
    BAD: ???

Hoverboard Battery:
    GOOD: Sometimes it doesn't explode.
    BAD: The Li-ion can suffer thermal runaway and heats up faster under similar charging conditions.
    BAD: LiCoO2 is hazardous in nature, so is not considered a safe material.
    BAD: Disposal of Li-ion battery is a big concern for the manufacturer and user.
    BAD: Lithium cobalt dioxide is an allergen to eyes and skin and can cause a major harm if swallowed.
    BAD: Li-Ion battery packs are considered a high risk material for airplanes, and in a number of incidents this battery was found the common reason for some plane crashes.

• @thegreck said:

@Aswellie Yeah this is actually REALLY info! It's exactly the thing Future Motion needs to make clear to airlines, and should have a sticker saying what kind of battery the OW uses. Or even etch it into the board.

Here's what I pulled from the article that we as the OneWheel community can start telling people who try to say the battery in the OW is hazardous:

Battery Types:
    -- Hoverboards use a Lithium Ion (Li-ion) battery
    -- OneWheel uses a Lithium Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery

OneWheel Battery:
    GOOD: The LiFePO4 battery has superior chemical and thermal stability, and it remains cool at room temperature.
    GOOD: LiFePO4 is a nontoxic material.
    BAD: ???

Hoverboard Battery:
    GOOD: Sometimes it doesn't explode.
    BAD: The Li-ion can suffer thermal runaway and heats up faster under similar charging conditions.
    BAD: LiCoO2 is hazardous in nature, so is not considered a safe material.
    BAD: Disposal of Li-ion battery is a big concern for the manufacturer and user.
    BAD: Lithium cobalt dioxide is an allergen to eyes and skin and can cause a major harm if swallowed.
    BAD: Li-Ion battery packs are considered a high risk material for airplanes, and in a number of incidents this battery was found the common reason for some plane crashes.

Nicely Done

• @thegreck
    "Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)

Phosphate based technology possesses superior thermal and chemical stability which provides better safety characteristics than those of Lithium-ion technology made with other cathode materials. Lithium phosphate cells are incombustible in the event of mishandling during charge or discharge, they are more stable under overcharge or short circuit conditions and they can withstand high temperatures without decomposing. When abuse does occur, the phosphate based cathode material will not burn and is not prone to thermal runaway. Phosphate chemistry also offers a longer cycle life."

From another article:
    "The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years."

Lithium-Ion batteries and Lithium Polymer batteries are the most energy dense of the Lithium batteries, but they are lacking in safety. The most common type of Lithium-Ion is LiCoO2, or Lithium Cobalt Oxide. In this chemistry, the oxygen is not strongly bonded to the cobalt, so when the battery heats up, such as in rapid charging or discharging, or just heavy use, the battery can catch fire. This could be especially disastrous in high pressure environments such as airplanes, or in large applications such as electric vehicles. To help counteract this problem, devices that use Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries are required to have extremely sensitive and often expensive electronics to monitor them. While Lithium Ion batteries have an intrinsically high energy density, after one year of use the capacity of the Lithium Ion will have fallen so much that the LiFePO4 will have the same energy density, and after two years LiFePO4 will have significantly greater energy density. Another disadvantage of these types is that Cobalt can be hazardous, raising both health concerns and environmental disposal costs. The projected life of a Lithium-Ion battery is approximately 3 years from production."

And yeah, any and all safety issues with the "hoverboards" are directly linked to the fact that they are not using LiFePO4 batteries.

edit TL:DR: LiFePO4 Cannot explode or catch on fire.

• Why doesn't future motion simply submit the one wheel to the CPSC or UL for testing?

• In my view FutureMotion should get Underwriters Laboratory testing and certification immediately. This would put them in the forefront for purposes of obtaining legitimacy and marketshare. Also it might alleviate the concerns airlines have .

• @mdwatson1957 I literally just got one in the mail a few days ago, and I'm out of the country so I haven't been following this stuff too closely. Are OneWheels currently not allowed on airplanes? How are they even successfully shipped at this point? Ground shipping?

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @boomtho Yes - ground shipping. The Onewheel battery is of a different type than the flamers you see on the news but the airlines are being very cautious until the testing and certification process alleviates the concerns. Perhaps a UL certification labeled "Airline Approved" would work - but the airlines industry would need to be on board first.

• Well guys we know why we buy quality here @future-motion , we burn the asphalt riding the OW but your feet will never get burn ;).
    Hey cheap hoverboard builders, thank you for your shitty wheels, now everybody thinks that all these toys including the OW is dangerous even when not riding it. You can burn in hell with your fake batteries muhhaa ha ha ha!

God bless the OW and their riders!

mAz out.

• I am int he merchant services industry (read credit card processing). I just got this notification from one of our providers:
    "Dear Valued Client,

With the recent announcement from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) on new standards for Self-Balancing Scooters (aka: hoverboards) we have made a decision to move this product to our prohibited list.

It is also important to note that the CPSC has stated this product must comply with all standards set forth by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL). Currently no Self-Balancing Scooter has received UL certification and they have only now begun to accept product submittals.

Priority's Risk Department will be contacting our sales offices that currently have merchants selling this product and will be closing the merchant account down. We also ask that our sales offices proactively search their own merchant base and close any of these merchants down immediately as they are now considered prohibited. "

This is just one provider but hopefully Visa/MC wont put it on the prohibited list.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.