Interesting Facts

• I found an article online about Future Motion's recent closing of $3.2 million in funding, and it had a few things in it that I hadn't heard about:

1. Future Motion is opening a European distribution and service center to accelerate growth in Europe while providing fast shipping to customers and after-sales support.

2. It lists several retailers in the US that carry OW (I've never come across a list like this anywhere on the site): Urban Surf (Seattle, WA), Next Adventure (Portland, OR), Strongwater Mountain Surf Co (Missoula, MT), and Tula Adventure Sports (Virginia Beach, VA).

Here's the article:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/future-motion-the-company-that-invented-onewheel-raises-32m-in-series-a-funding-round-300214085.html

• But still no android app :/

• Would be great if the European d&s center would be in Belgium :thumbsup:

• @Polle I know this is an old post but I just learned that the European repair center will be located in the Netherlands. I guess that the second best option for Belgians. Supposedly opens "around the end of year"..

• They REALLY need to capitalize on offering boards for rent there as well. Even with a large deposit, it would be soooo nice to be able to ride once in Europe. Or they need to start lobbying hard for traveling with them.

• i think beach rentals would be huge! maybe in florida or cali. would be fun and could grow awareness to OneWheel as well.

In fact, SINCE it would grow so much awareness to OneWheel as a brand, it would be beneficial of FutureMotion to allow a vendor to acquire a few "at cost" . This would help them get started and would make it easier to rent them out at a reasonable $$ rate.

• I think OneWheels are too dangerous for a rental. Too much liability! I would even say its almost irresponsible as a rental. Many people would have no board experience at all.

• @MichaelW you've got a point,

• There's that and the fact that they are so expensive. The rental companies would have to invest is GSM GPS devices so they could track them. It'd be nice though if they could at least rent to people that have them already as like a connected network of trust. Lol. I know I am dreaming here, but let me dream in peace please.

• @hustle Naw, they'd just do the same as any other rental place (cars cost more than Onewheels, and you can rent those). They'd get your credit card number first, and if you steal it, you buy it.

• Segway tour companies don't allow you to just go out on your own, but they give a little crash course with some practice, and then take people out in a group. Rideonexperience.com in France does something similar, but it looks like they also rent out OneWheels; they probably require some kind of skill test so they're not just sending noobs out to their doom. One think that I really like is that they'll bring OWs to your home or to a trail of your choosing to have a group ride with friends... Just imagine having ten OWs show up for a group ride!

• @westcoastr Could be an investment opportunity for a business. Buy 10, start a company, do that yourself.

• @hustle It's such a niche market; I wonder how it would fare...

• @westcoastr Well, here in Iowa, awful. I just want to get the hype up so I have people to ride with.

• @hustle I know! It's getting a little lonely in Vancouver... I'm just about to meet up with a OW friend in Banff and am so excited to ride with somebody! I'm kind of envious of all those riding tribes in S Cali and Utah.

• Yeah I thought about the rental thing, but reality is you need a good hour or 2 unless you have really well developed ankles and calves. And your feet will burn after riding. And it will need a charge pretty soon so it can't rent for multiple hours.... I mean yes and no...

• @westcoastr same im in Seattle and i keep hoping to find people that ride!

• @westcoastr Interesting. Interesting this entire discussion. I agree about the liability as well as about the price. But I also strongly believe that this OW thing has strong potential beyond "board-" lovers/experts. There's reason to argue that it's a low threshold device to get people to learn balancing--easier than a regular balance board, and fun from the get go. Assuming some guidance in the beginning and that you don't throw yourself outdoor as a kamikaze.. And working on our balance skill has benefits way beyond just being crazy fun...

• If someone had the land and money to do it you could set up almost like a dirt bike/go kart track and could have dirt or pavement tracks or both. You could have like 20-30 OW's on hand to rent out and you could charge people an entry fee that already have their own OW to come and ride on the track. I think that would be the only way it could work. Sending people out into the public on a board with no experience could get you into trouble. at least if you had a private facility everything could be controlled.

• I think a beach would be the best and safest option. People rent Jetski's and all sorts of vehicles that are much more dangerous than the onewheel, and what's the worst that could happen to you on a beach , you fall off and land on the sand, big deal. you could make it a minimum hour rental , with a 10 minutes training session (for newbies )

I would say you would need to keep the cost down to really get enough interest...maybe like $40/hr , $60 for 2hr max

so let's do some math:

let's say you rent out a single OW for $40/hr , and figuring in for turn in and next rental times , let's say you average 5 rentals per day @ $40/hr (figuring on the low end just for arguements sake)

• so $40/hr x 5 = $200 / day / OW

now lets assume you have just 6 OW's and each rents out at that rate (5 rentals per day @ $40/hr avg) - now you're making $1200/day

you pay two people to work the stand all day @ $100/day = $200 and maybe a rental fee to the beach? let's say $200/day for stand or beach rental fee . with that you're at a daily cost of $400 and $800 profit

if you're in a vacation area lets say you can make this rate a good 4 days per week and then maybe 1/2 this the other 3 days ...so that's $800 x 4 = $3200 + 3x400 = $1200 . $3200 + $1200 = $4400

$4400 profit per week x 4 = 12000 profit per month , not bad!

of course my assumptions could be way off :)

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.