Can OW be insured against theft or damage through home or renters insurance?

• Like the title says just curious about this because these things are not cheap and just curious if there was way to insure against major damage or theft (investing in a heavy duty U lock for places where I can't bring it in or check it at the door-check)

• Call your insurance agent. It may be considered a motor vehicle which requires it to be under your auto policy.

• My credit card doubles warranties and insures against theft for the first 6 months. So at least warranty should be extended to 24 months if you have this type of credit card.

• @tony420121 I think it would be covered , my inspire one was after it actually sunk into the ocean , got another one completely covered but thats a whole other story !!!

• As an insurance agent. With a renters or homeowners insurance policy your personal property is covered anywhere in the world. So if you have a home insurance or renters insurance policy and you also have a storage unit. And some items get stolen out of the storage unit. They would be covered under the renters or homeowners policy. The onewheel since we all have proof of this large purchase, would be covered as well. It is our personal property and it was stolen.

• @mdwatson1957 said in Can OW be insured against theft or damage through home or renters insurance?:

Call your insurance agent. It may be considered a motor vehicle which requires it to be under your auto policy.

I have State Farm, and they said it could be covered under regular renters or home insurance because if it doesn't require a license to operate, then it's just considered a toy. I said FUCK YOU!!! Just kidding.

• Just to add my two cents. Think of it like an expensive mountain/road bike, if you have a homeowners/renters policy then it would be covered if damaged as a result of an insured peril or if it was stolen. Keep in mind however that any loss or damage would be subject to a deductible (unless you specifically schedule it). By specifically scheduling your onewheel on your policy with a declared value you will pay a few extra dollars in premium per year but you will avoid a deductible, and in the event of a total loss you will always collect enough for a brand new one (no depreciation). A typical deductible will be in the $500 range. Also, most policies will contain sub limits (maximum recoverable amounts) for specific types of property.

• @TDJ Just checked with my Insurance company Nationwide Insurance, also am an Agent myself. After speaking with them, they are unable to schedule the item, because it is not an item that they can schedule. Has to be jewlery or guns, that type of thing. But it can be covered under the normal policy and your deductible would apply on it.

• @Wakeboarder54 Ah so that could be a difference between the US and Canada then (or between different insurers) as in Canada you can pretty much schedule anything you like (subject to the agreement of your insurer) as long as it has an agreed value. I have scheduled bikes and other sports equipment and all I had to do was provide a copy of my original receipt which serves as the agreed value in the event of a loss. Either way as you say it would be covered.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.