Tips for finding sockets in the wild

• I'd like to hear your tips for finding places to charge your board when riding in unfamiliar places. Here are a few I've used:

Look for outside vending machines,
    Stop at a public library to catch up on some reading,
    Check the dugouts in a baseball field

• @w1ngy Always trying to figure this one out too. I read about a homeless person being either arrested or fined for stealing electricity by charging his phone at a public park, so it seems kinda risky. Seems we're already apparently pushing it just by riding these things around, since no one really knows where we stand, legally.

And I've wondered about public libraries... have you tried it, and do they have any issues with people charging their devices there?

• @w1ngy At our last meet-up, Starbucks was a perfect place for charging up. You can find them all over the place, and they have tons of outlets that they don't mind you using as long as you buy something. Anything. A bottled water. We had 4 people with OneWheels and we were all able to charge them simultaneously while we cooled off and had a drink and some food.

• @w1ngy Another thing I just found online that I'm definitely going to check out... apparently you can find outlets in parking garages. A possibility for this is if you're driving to the place that you will be OneWheeling, find a garage to park in that has an outlet and back up to it. That way you can just run the cord into your trunk and no one will even know. Just sit in your car listening to music while you wait.

• @thegreck Surprisingly I had no issues at all at the library. Other people are already there charging their laptops and other devices. I just sat there and read a book while charging. Was pretty cool

• It would be nice if there were some on the bike trail or similar area, I will look tomorrow when I am out.

• @thegreck You can be cited in most places for stealing electricity but usually only happens if you fail the attitude test when speaking with the cop. It also requires the owner of that outlet to want to press charges for any action to be taken.

• @SC720 Or if you're homeless.

• I've used library, bars, coffee shops, and random outlets at park stages. As long as your friendly and answer everyone's questions most places like to share electricity because they want to see you ride it or they want to ride it. Someone bought me drinks the other night just to stand on board and feel it balance them.

• @thegreck technically as of January 1st, Los Angeles actually made all electrically motorized boards legal for street (w/helmet) or sidewalks or bike lanes (helmet). Previously they were illegal for 40 years.

Quote.
    In October, California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law legislation that reversed a nearly 40-year-old state ban on using electrically motorized boards on the streets. "The new law defines 'electronically motorized board' as a wheeled device designed to be stood on and powered by electronic propulsion, going no more than 15 miles per hour," according to the California Highway Patrol. The law will take effect on Jan. 1, 2016, and will allow riders to use them in bicycle lanes, pathways and roadways. Last week, the California Department of Motor Vehicles released a reminder to Californians of the new 2016 law, and included details about electrically motorized skateboards. Laws on these boards are different from state to state, and in New York, they're apparently illegal to use on the streets.
    As for California state law, these regulations will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2016 concerning electrically motorized boards:

• Riders must be 16 years or older to use the boards.
    • Riders must wear a helmet when riding the boards on highways, bikeways or any other public bicycle paths, sidewalks or trails.
    • Riders can only use the boards on streets where there are speed limits of 35 mph or less, unless they're in a bike lane.
    • Riders can go no faster than 15 mph on highways, bikeways, public paths, sidewalks and trails.
    • The boards must be equipped with safety equipment like reflectors and lights for nighttime operation on roads.
    • Riders are prohibited from operating the board while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage or any drug, or combination of both.

Convictions for violating this law is punishable by a fine of up to $250.

End quote.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.