Tips on riding switch?

• Whenever I ride switch on any platform of board I feel like a baby trying to take their first steps. Anyone have any tips on helping? Or is it just a time commitment thing.

• @OneWheelNoob I know exactly what you mean, and sorry to say it's just a time commitment thing. But you'll be surprised how quickly you'll learn if you just practice it every time you ride.

When I started just over 2 months ago, I couldn't ride switch at all, now I'm pretty comfortable riding either way. Obviously more comfortable one way than the other, but still comfortable.

• @OneWheelNoob training !!!

• I also noticed that if your riding regular then simply change directions, it's a little more difficult to ride than if you initially start off switch. I don't feel like the OW isn't completely symmetrical.

• @jeffmccosker You don't feel like the OneWheel isn't completely symmetrical? Sorry... you kind of lost me in the double-negatives. Does that mean you DO think it's symetrical? Because it seems to me like it's completely symetrical.

But I think practicing changing directions is actually the best way to learn, because switching your focus from one stance to the opposite stance is the most difficult part, but once you get over that, the whole process becomes a lot easier.

• @thegreck Yeah, the hardest part for me is the switch, once moving I'm fine, but the 1st sec after the switch is pretty sketchy... lol...

• @thegreck yeah, re-reading that original comment of mine just gave me a headache. I do not believe the OW is completely symmetrical. If it was, it wouldn't default to having the same end in the air in the resting position.

• @jeffmccosker lol.. Think you've managed to confuse even me more.. Lol.. It's symmetrical, there's no difference for me..

• @jeffmccosker you are right. It is weighted different. If you put the sensors on the back foot seems to go forward easier. Which is due to the non sensor side being heavier. (which is why even when the board is turned off drops to non sensor side, sensor side always up). This also add to the weirdness of riding switch. Switch is always a little more difficult anyways. Even in skateboarding. It's like throwing or writing with non dominant hand.

• @TonyGDTLA said:

@jeffmccosker you are right. It is weighted different.

Ahh... interesting. I didn't think about that, as I was thinking visual symmetry and not weight, but it makes sense. I imagine the battery weighs quite a bit more than the electronics.

• @thegreck said:

I imagine the battery weighs quite a bit more than the electronics.

I would think the battery is heavy, but it is in front. But the tail (non sensor side) is still heavier.

• @TonyGDTLA That's two strikes for me on the symmetry issue!

• @TonyGDTLA said:

@thegreck said:

I imagine the battery weighs quite a bit more than the electronics.
    I would think the battery is heavy, but it is in front. But the tail (non sensor side) is still heavier.

The one wheel motor is taking care of the balancing the different weights, it doesn't matter which is heavier..... :)

• @parrothd So does that mean I get a point back?

• @parrothd very true. But the motor speed up and slows down based on our center of gravity. it always trying to keep balanced. But as we all, that can fail us if we push too fast, that's were weight comes in. A 230 lbs person going on steep uphill may touch nose before a 175 person. Good way to test is going fast then hard break to tail slides on ground and see how long it takes to re balance itself. For me. Non sensor side on back always takes a couple more seconds than sensor side on back.

But that's just from my experience. Lol

• I'll take your word on front vs back sensor position, I don't change my stance riding switch or regular. I know I should switch to running sensor back, I have a bad habit of using my front foot to try and stop/control the board after a fall. You can see where that is bad.. Lol..

• @parrothd yup. Could be a hurtful experience. Splits!!! Ha ha

• @TonyGDTLA that and looking like and idiot spinning around in a circle on one leg..lol

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.