Protective Gear Recommendation

• What's up boys and girls? I'm about 1-2 weeks away from joining the club. I thought I'd see if anyone has recommendations on helmets and wrist protectors that offer the type of protection and comfort needed for long rides and practice sessions, and the inevitable wipeouts that will occur.

Thanks in advance... this seems like a terrific community and I'm looking forward to becomming a part of it.

• hi there ! welcome to the world of onewheel ;-) well, if you're aiming for some solid skate gear i'd go with triple eight: http://triple8.com/product-category/skate/ they're well known and good as far as i know.

• I also have a Triple8 helmet and love it (and I advise ALWAYS wearing a helmet.. I've been out riding and ran over a branch and ended up on my back before I could even react -- the helmet definitely saved me).

My wrist guards are by Killer 187 Pads and I really like them. They seemed to be one of the less bulky but more durable brands for those: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VT43Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_bhj3wb31EXNA2

• Thanks so much for he recommendations fellas, I'll look into them.

• I'd also recommend G-form protective gear:
    http://g-form.com/en/shop-product/unisex/

It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's comfortable and you can wear it under clothing.

• @madsb Thanks for the recommendation. I may pick up some of the protective shorts if I find I'm eating it a lot... which is probably inevitable. Are the triple8 helmets pretty much the standard amongst OW riders? MY biggest concerns are protecting my wrists and my dome if I have a full speed wipe out like some of the videos I've seen.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply fellas, super stoked to be joining this community. Everyone seems awesome!

• @OriginalEric i don't know if triple8 is the standard amongst OW riders but i can assure you it is a renowned skate brand. also popular amongst longboarders and freeborders.
    as for the wrist guards i can't give you much advice. reason being: they're a rather controversial form of protection. their use is a quite frequently discussed topic. i'm riding without but wearing longboard gloves when truly pushing limits.

• I always wear wristguards. Always.

• Thanks again for the input guys... counting down the days until I receive my work bonus and get to purchase my OW. Not sure about you guys (pre-purchase) but I've spent an inordinate amount of time watching OW videos and the anticipation just continues to build.

• @OriginalEric I used my OW for the first time today.. Went shopping first and bought a helmet.. wrist guards and knee and elbow pads.. I chose a nice smooth and flat grassy location at my local sports ground.. All went great the first time I went around the ground.. Legs were feeling it.. I went a second time around and then a third before resting.. Just before leaving I did one more lap of the ground.. Got some speed up.. Got the wobbles and bailed onto the grass and even though I rolled I felt like I hit the ground like a sack of potato's.. No harm done.. But now thinking about it I'm glad I was on the grass.. A fall like that on cement or dirt would have been nasty.. Can't wait to go again tomorrow.. :-)

• @DavidJohn, where is the time we were 16 and falling constantly while practicing skateboardtricks... :-D

• @DavidJohn If the ease in which I hurt myself at the gym is any indication, I'm sure I will find a way to bang myself on the OW, and I'll probably be smiling the entire time. I'll make sure to wear a helmet and I'm leaning towards some sort of wrist protection as well. I may opt out of the knee and elbow pads but we will see.

I imagine I'll find a park or somewhere with grass to learn on... there are plenty near by. I am planning on checking out the beach as well although I need to read a little more about how to protect/clean the beast after those types of adventures. There seems to be a few people here who meet in the LA area so I hope to join that group once I've graduated in skill past the point where I'll be an embarrassment to them. =)

• @OriginalEric said:

@DavidJohn I'll make sure to wear a helmet and I'm leaning towards some sort of wrist protection as well.

To be clear, the main reason to wear wrist guards isn't to protect your wrists (although it helps with that too), but to save you from taking all the skin off the palms of your hands when you try to break your fall on the asphalt.

• @chabis Wrist guards are controversial because they can transfer the energy of a fall proximally up the arm and may, MAY cause a trade-off injury. I would much rather have a mid-shaft long bone fracture than to break anything near a joint, though, so I wear them.

• Gotcha... sounds like I may just have to get real good at the old tuck and roll.

• @OriginalEric I'm with @thegreck on saving the palms of my hands - I find wrist guards uncomfortable and as a snowboarder, I've learned to fall on more on my forearms and with a tuck. While I've been learning I've just been wearing bike gloves and making sure I've had long sleeves. I'm considering impact shorts etc. for when I start trail riding but until then... I'll just take my falls. The couple of wipeouts I had were pretty well distributed force on my sides, hips, shoulders so I figure elbow and knee pads probably wouldn't have helped much anyways.

• My wife used to play roller derby and insisted I spend the money on good elbow and knee pads rather than wrist guards. She pointed out that with good pads and a helmet, it's much safer to just ball up when you fall rather than try to catch yourself.

I bought the G-Form pads that were linked above and they're pretty damn nice. I've landed directly on the end of my elbow with them on, and it was no worse than landing on the couch. :)

• @akraut Yeah, I think learning to properly fall is a great idea. I should probably practice that more. On grass, that is.

• @thegreck Have a couple beers and do it in the grass with full pads while the ground is soft. It's actually really fun to push the board past its limit and let it chuck you into a tuck and roll as long as you're prepared for it... like amusement park can't stop giggling fun. You will condition yourself to do it automatically when you endo. Its also good for learning how the board behaves when you push it too far. Probably every new rider should do it once they get comfortable with the basics.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.