That's what you get from sticking out in the neighborhood

• From a Facebook thread regarding a burglary not far from where I live (I swear I didn't have anything to do with it :laughing:)

0_1457556999989_image.jpeg

• @madsb That's hilarious! I've often wondered how people who see me riding my Onewheel are effected by the sighting. Is it one of those experiences they feel compelled to mention in conversation? I wonder if it feels on par with a sasquatch encounter when a hiker or mountain biker glimpses me gliding where people aren't supposed to glide out in the wilderness. The rare and elusive Onewheeler. Is it one of those "You're never going to believe what I saw in the woods" stories for friends and family? Do they immediately Google "One wheeled skateboard" (as I know I would) in an attempt to make sense of the world again? I'd like to think so.

• @madsb That guy only had one wheel! He must be a thief!

• @madsb And they HAD to throw in that tired "home made" comment, too, didn't they?

• @Code-ster A co-worker told me this story. He was on the phone with his wife in the morning. They were talking, and suddenly she says something like "There is this guy here riding a skateboard with lights on" or something". Not sure if she mentioned the fact that there was only one wheel. His reply, knowing where I live was just "oh, you're at the police station now?" Which she was, since I was leaving for work and live across the street from it :)
    Not a super exciting story, but it was pretty fun for me to hear. And I've heard other people talk about that they've seen me riding around as well.
    But yeah, I like to think as you do. I don't really think most are that impressed, but I sure hope so :D

• @germx Yeah, I have yet to figure out how to ride my Onewheel discreetly. I would think that if one were seen committing a crime and then riding away on a Onewheel it would be almost as condemning as DNA in some places. Like, "Well, Your Honor, if the witness alleges the suspect rode away from the scene of the crime on a Onewheel, we can deductively and reasonably conclude that it must've been the only Onewheel owner residing within a 50 mile radius."

• I have been riding at night to try to fly under the radar. But I think it has had the opposite effect. People see my flying down the street with the lights on and the just come to a stop to see what I am doing. Cars, bikes, people walking dogs...everyone stops and stares. I was just out (in Cleveland...where I might be the ONLY onewheeler) and I had cars slow down and match my speed just so they could try to make sense of what they were seeing. I haven't had anyone yell anything at me yet which is good...but I am sure it's coming soon.

• This is so funny. I don't Understand how people come to some of their crazy conclusions. Entertaining at least.... ha ha

• It's currently spring break in Miami. I spend the day weaving in and out of onlookers who all wonder the hell i'm riding.

• Last night was the first time I got attention from law enforcement and was somewhat pursued (no lights or sirens)...As I cruised around the nearby state beach parking lot I realized there was one of their officers trying to catch up to me as I went up and down the parking aisles...Unfortunate for him he was in a big f350 pickup, the aisles are narrow and there were a bunch of people in the area so he couldn't move too quick. We had a good cat and mouse game going for 5-10 mins as he tried to either swing around and cut me off or get behind me and catch up but I just kept switching up directions on him until he just gave up, stopped and watched. Then I cruised over and just stood around near the pedestrian entrance/exit which is just a 3 foot gap in a fence. As I stood there picking out the next most appropriate song for the situation he accelerated over towards me and I took off out the pedestrian gate laughing all the way home.

• @thegreck said:

@madsb And they HAD to throw in that tired "home made" comment, too, didn't they?

That's it! I'm painting the light brown. Lol

• I was carving through downtown LA and passing 2 cops arresting someone. The guy being arrested goes, "whoa!" And the cop not holding him stood in front of my path with his hand up to stop me. I was thinking I broke some kind of law. I came to a stop. And he looked down and said, "That thing is awesome!! Now I've seen it all! You can go." He waved me on. Then all three people watched me float away. Lol! from the distance I could hear him say, "did you see that thing, they should give us those for downtown patrolling!"

• @thegreck If anything he's the victim. His other wheel had to have been stolen by the neighborhood thief!

• @TonyGDTLA Love those stories, man! I was riding past an ambulance in my neighborhood, and they were loading someone into it on a gurney, and when the driver saw me, he stepped away from what they were doing and into the street. I thought he was going to tell me to go another way, but he just watched me go by, staring at the OW with a dumbfounded look on his face!

• @hekkubus Haha! I totally almost made that joke too! I was going to say, "Why didn't they think he had the other 3 wheels from his skateboard stolen?"

• I had a similar experience heading home from work. I was taking the neighborhood streets home and was carving up a storm (no cars around) when I felt a car following me. I turn around and it was the sheriff's vehicle. I thought for sure I'm getting busted... no helmet, I'm all over the street, and I ran through a stop sign. As he pulls up to me, I'm ready to hand over my ID and get what's coming to me but he just stops and asks what I'm riding. I tell him its a onewheel and then he just parks in the street starts asking the usual questions. Of course, question number one was if I built it... So I obliged and answered all his questions while he took notes on his pad. Once he was done, he finished by saying, "man, that's a cool board" and watched as I rode away.

• @knight32 said:

I had a similar experience heading home from work. I was taking the neighborhood streets home and was carving up a storm (no cars around) when I felt a car following me. I turn around and it was the sheriff's vehicle. I thought for sure I'm getting busted... no helmet, I'm all over the street, and I ran through a stop sign. As he pulls up to me, I'm ready to hand over my ID and get what's coming to me but he just stops and asks what I'm riding. I tell him its a onewheel and then he just parks in the street starts asking the usual questions. Of course, question number one was if I built it... So I obliged and answered all his questions while he took notes on his pad. Once he was done, he finished by saying, "man, that's a cool board" and watched as I rode away.

Yeah, hands down the question I get asked the most is, "Did you make that?" I always respond that I'd be much wealthier if I did.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.