Motor stays engaged when jumping off

• So I've had this happen twice to me now. The first time I was riding and had to jump off the OW, but the motor stayed engaged and ghost rided it's self at full speed into a brick wall. The second just happened while going up a hill and jumping off, but this time just ran slow and didn't fly away.
    Wondering if this has happened to anyone? I live in a city with a ton of parked cars and traffic. I'm worried I could cause some damage or at worst have it hit someone.

• @AK1122 This does seem like a bug in the software, or either an issue with the sensors in the footpads. Because I've noticed that sometimes when I jump off the board, instead of deactivating like it should, it'll continue to roll. Luckily the few times it's happened to me, I've been stopped, so it rolls very slowly, but it shouldn't roll at all.

• @thegreck Rolling away slow would be cool, but the first time was down right dangerous. I'll see if anyone else has had the problem and maybe have to email FM to see what they say.

• @AK1122 & @thegreck only happened to me once so far.. didn't hit a vehicle or person but the curb instead. deck's a bit splintered. nothing more though.

• Contact support ASAP and don't ride in a location where your board could hurt somebody or something in the meantime. This should not happen and it needs to get fixed. Hopefully the fix is as simple as replacing the sensor foot pad but they might have you send it back.

• @Franky I was afraid you may say that. I've sent an email to FM and I'll see what they say. Would hate to be without my OW now that's it's starting to get nice out.

• @AK1122 I had this happen to me last summer when my grip tape on the sensor started moving due to the heat. I had to order a new set of foot pads, and secure the new one with small screws to hold it from sliding.
    0_1457912759610_1438371416081-image.jpg

• @J-Glide ok thanks I'll take that into consideration for the future, I don't think that's the case here sense I've only had my OW for about a month and it's only been around 45 degrees when I take it out.

• I've never had the problem personally, but almost everyone I let ride it has had it take off. I do notice when I have to jump off I always tend to push off with my toes tipping the board on its side so it can't take off. Not something I do on purpose but it has kept it from taking off on me.

• @WyvernKing I'll be sure to let you know what FM say in case this is something you would like fixed.

• @WyvernKing, my board has never not disengaged when off the sensor. Are you saying after people you let ride the board fall off, the board keeps going? If so you should also contact support. I can see why it wouldn't happen to you since you ride until it disengages as you dismount. But here or there you are going to fall off and you don't need your board running into traffic or people. Better to be safe than sorry. Yeah, it's getting nice but better now than in the middle of summer.

• @WyvernKing FM has emailed me back in short order to let me know they will be sending me new sensor. Maybe this is all you need to do to, just thought I would let you know.

• had this problem and it was the footpad slipping, had to put in the screws as well, haven't had the problem since

• I had this happen 3 times in a row. After dismount, the board takes off at full throttle until it either hits something or flips on it's side (which finally disengages the motor). I emailed Support and eventually sent it back. They ran it through their "17 point" inspection process and proclaimed it is fine and in good working order. I have been asked to pay $80 in shipping costs as they did not find anything wrong. I will pay to get my board back and will video the dismounts in a safe environment and hope the issue has sorted itself out. If it has not, I will let the company and all of you know.

For those of you who have experienced this situation, I understand how scary it can be. In essence, your board becomes and 15mph land missile and shoots away as you watch helplessly. I believe it poses an extremely dangerous situation and hope that the Company can pinpoint the cause and finds a solution.

• I had the same problem as described since I replaced the footpads and sensor. The original sensor did not seem to have this problem. I suspect the new sensors are using a thicker plastic sheet or different adhesive which is causing the sensor not to disengage as quickly. Only my speculation...

• The same issue has happened to me twice within the last 2 weeks. I call it the runaway board. This past Sunday I was cruising around 7-8 MPH (Extreme mode, batt at 60%) and suddenly the OW accelerated incredibly on it's own which caused me to be forced backwards and off the board. Unbelievably I was able to run it out, although crushed my right heel and seriously bruised now, on that first step off which caught me totally off-guard, but at least I did not hit the pavement. The board sped away from me at crazy speed and slammed into a guardrail, rolled over on it's side and then stopped. Have a small wood section missing now from the deck. Thankfully it did not ride right into the bay I was riding alongside! Emailed Carly and now the support address with no replies as of yet. Extremely unnerving experience and if there were bystanders around, easily would have broken some bones or worse. It has given me a lot to think about in regards to riding anywhere near others.....sort of spooked at this point.

• @spring I would order a new foot sensor before riding anymore.

• @J-Glide Agreed wholeheartedly! Just purchased this a month ago and it has the latest firmware so it is a 'newer' unit, but still suspect in regards to the sensor. I am extremely concerned as to why the board literally doubled in speed while my foot was absolutely and clearly covering both sensors evenly. I have learned my lesson about even the slightest shift or lift on the sensor while riding from prior nosedive with the sidewalk winning that battle! I ride ridiculously aware of my sensor foot staying planted, even though I'm reading you can come off 1 of the 2 sensors and be okay, my brain is trained to leave it flat. The acceleration when this happened was startling to be honest.

• @golfer17 That was strange considering that the board was leaning back all the way, but still went forward. Looked like a glitch for sure!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.