I live atop a hill - how to prevent regen overcharging cutout at start of run?

• As everyone knows, if you head off down a hill with a fully charged onewheel it will cut out half way down and send your sprawling if you're not lucky. Anyone have any ideas on how to address this for those of us who's runs always start out down hill? Obviously if you catch it just right you can unplug it before full charge but of course in real life that's hard to pull of consistently...

• Do you have room ride in a circle for a few minutes before heading down?

• Yea, I guess that's all you can really do, but it seems like an eternity when you're in a hurry to get somewhere, was hoping maybe someone had stumbled across some kind of hack to get it to stop before fully charged...

• @SeaP90d It's a really good question. I was trying to think of something to help you out, but the riding around before heading down is the best I came up with, too. Kinda sucks!

• I've been wondering if you get more charge the slower you decend and if bombing the hill full speed would not result in an overcharge. Not that you should try that, obviously...

Conversely, would creeping down a hill help you out if you're running low on battery?

• @SeaP90d Actually @bmtka gave me an idea. I had heard that the regenerative braking doesn't actually kick in when you're going downhill until you reach a certain speed, and you'll know when you do because you'll feel pushback. So maybe if you just be sure not to go very fast, you'll actually be using battery power rather than overloading it.

If that doesn't work and you go sprawling, I take it back.

• @thegreck Really? Do you have more info? I too live at the top of a small hill.

• @bmtka Maybe @future-motion can jump in here, because the only info I have is from the person at our LA meetup who told me this once when we were riding down a hill, so I'm taking him at his word. I've never had a full battery and attempted to test it by going down a hill.

• I also live on top of a hill and at the beginning I had the sensation of going down full speed while the board has allready switched off because of overcharge. since I was keeping my center of balance over the wheel, this did not result in a nosedive, but in scary full speed;-)

however, I found out that for me it is not a big deal. all that i do is riding for about 40 meters up hill, just immediadely after I went down the first few meters. riding up the hill really consumes a lot of power, so after burning the first 5-10% I can go down a very steep hill and find my self on the bottom with a fully charged onewheel which isn´t that bad;-)

• @cr4p That sounds positively terrifying. How long did you ride it freewheeling? Did you coast to a stop quickly, dragging the back end or did the motor reengage without you stopping and rebooting?

• I had this happen to me a couple of times but not knowing what it was, I figured that going down hill with my sensor foot front, as I slowed down to control the descent my front foot lifted weight off of the sensor to the point that it shut down causing an uncontrolled roll down the hill. I now always make sure not to let too much weight come off of my front foot when I go down hill and I have never had the problem again? Am I right? Or just Lucky? Don't know but it hasn't hurt to keep that in mind.

• Ruggerschr, I think you're definitely being lucky, they cut out and free wheel when reaching overcharge (at least mine does). You'll know because after you collect yourself and praise the lord that you lived to tell the tale and promise to sin no more, you'll have the 3 blink overcharge error code going on with the blue light. Thegreck I think is correct though, that it doesn't charge if you go slow enough, but its a pretty slow slow.

• Yeah, starting at the top of a hill is probably the worst place to start onewheeling for this reason and you need to make sure you leave enough juice in the battery to get back up. Probably takes some trial and error to figure out when to turn back.

I've heard the same thing that @cr4p is doing works well. Don't ride in circles at the top of the hill. Start down and then ride up which will drain the battery the quickest. Then head back down and you will be able to go a lot farther because regeneration is not as efficient as battery usage especially up hill.

Here is a video of Tavares riding down and he has a comment regarding dealing with regenerative breaking. This experience looks like a dream experience on ow....Long ride with the speed of going down having unlimited battery. Sweet! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgzahcNJ6fM

• @bmtka : both times i went for something like 10 meters or so free wheeling, before i realized what happend. beeing to scared about the speed which increased really fast, i dragged down the tail. i needed to push it down hard to slow down, which i was afraid would harm the board too much, so i jumped down and ran it out as soon as the speed was somehow manageable...

so no, it would not re-engage, because at that time it aleady is in overcharging error state which requires a shut of and on again.

• @cr4p Hey, thanks. Reminds me of my first ever skateboard. A NASH from the JC Penny's Crimbus catalogue. That fucker was designed to be stopped by a prolonged tail drag, like some early Bart Simpson shit, backed up with a solid front bumper to take the hit from whatever poor immovable object happened to take up the energy once you're 10 year old ass had to bail. That wasn't even a term then, 'to bail.'

Oh I feel old. Glad you didn't bust your ass when that happened and I'll be sure to be aware of the possibility in the future. Cheers!

• @Franky : yes, good explanation, thats how it is.
    you are also right that the range in both directions differs extremly. while i can easily commute to work downhill with 30% of battery left when i arrive at work to fully recharge it, i need another charge at a restaurant before going back up the hill on my way home

that's another reason why i have asked a friend of mine to develope a small and lightweight "mobile supercharger" to extend my range;-)

• @cr4p It's not any smaller, but it appears to be the exact specs if not exact model as the OEM charger: http://fuyuang.m.sell.everychina.com/p-103424115-14-cell-58-8v-li-ion-battery-charger-58-8v3-5a-fy5803500-for-electric-vihicle.html

How far is your commute and what is the approximate elevation difference if you know?

• @bmtka : thanks for the link, but i am not talking about the charger itself, i am talking about a "battery booster pack" wich exactly devlivers the stabilized 58V 3,5A without the need of the origin supercharger, so i can charge it anywhere "in the wild", beeing independent of a power outlet.

about the elevation difference i have done some statistics for myself, to get a better understanding of my personal range:

• the complete distance is something like 7,6km.
    • when using the downhill way, i arrive with still 37% left (therefore i consumed 63% of a full charge on the way to work downhill).
    • at work I am fully charging it to 100%.
    • when going back, i arive at the bottom of the hill with 33% left (consumed 67% so far)
    • from there it takes me another 54% to get back home (which is why I need to do some charging again before going uphill)
    • so all in all the way back requires 121% of charge on the way back home uphill
    • this means i need approximately twice the power to go back...

these are just aproximatley values, but it shows what a big difference going up a steep hill makes, because it consumes way more power (which is the same with my fully-ebike btw).

• @cr4p Oh, so you just want like a miniature version of those $350 portable UPS batteries. That would be handy. I'd eventually like to get one of the big ones so I could take some extended excursions into the woods, but I need to probably stop spending money for a little while.

• @bmtka : exactly, but without the need of carrying the original super charger as a second device.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.