First big wipe out

•  So I've wiped a few times but not at full speed until today. Got going too fast and got a death wobble. Tried to run it out but wasn't gonna happen at 50 years old. Landed on my side rolling which was good, but this is the important part. The back of my head slapped the pavement pretty hard, thankfully I had a helmet on. If I hadn't had it I'm thinking it could've been ugly. 
     Moral of the story, please wear your helmet you just never know, especially you young guys who think you're still invincible.  As someone who works in an ER I can tell you it can and it does. That's it for the dad speech today.

• @BrianInMN said:

So I've wiped a few times but not at full speed until today. Got going too fast and got a death wobble. Tried to run it out but wasn't gonna happen at 50 years old. Landed on my side rolling which was good, but this is the important part. The back of my head slapped the pavement pretty hard, thankfully I had a helmet on. If I hadn't had it I'm thinking it could've been ugly. 
     Moral of the story, please wear your helmet you just never know, especially you young guys who think you're still invincible.  As someone who works in an ER I can tell you it can and it does. That's it for the dad speech today.

I had to quote this post just so I could read it. Not sure why it was displaying so weird, but all I could see was a small black box and a few words.

Glad to hear you're okay, and I agree! Always wear a helmet! It only takes a second to put on, which is as long as it takes to make one wrong move on a OneWheel and find yourself on the ground.

• Not sure why in black either, strange.

• I agree a Helmet is a must, and when I first started I wore knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards. Now I wear just a Helmet, well 90% of the time off road. 100% of the time if I am on Cement.

• Banned

I'm interested in getting one but I'm confused, if it has gyro technology why doesn't it balance front to back? I have an electric unicycle and it's impossible to come off balance in the forward and backward direction unless there is a malfunction. The way this onewheel is described it seems like people have to balance themselves with motion or risk wiping out. What am I missing here?

• @poopmonkey Firstly, the gyros aren't balancing the board, they're just telling the electronics when the board isn't level. When it's not level, the wheel spins in that direction, causing your body weight to level the board.

This is a lot easier for an electric unicycle, because your body weight is always directly connected to the fulcrum (pivot point) of this lever, where as on a OneWheel, each of your feet is a foot to each side of the folcrum, so you have to keep your center of gravity over the wheel on your own, and be careful not to over stress the motor by putting too much weight on one side of the board (which is like being on a see-saw with someone who suddenly jumps off).

• Banned

@thegreck I see. It sounds like the onewheel might benefit by using the same super high strength neodymium magnets that the unicycles use to keep them in the 'upright' balanced position.

• @poopmonkey As far as I can tell, all of the commercially available unicycles use the same exact method of balancing that the OneWheel does, which takes advantage of gyros and accelerometers to figure out when the weight is in front of or behind the wheel, and to spin in that direction to keep it balanced (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-balancing_unicycle). But like I said, since your weight is directly attached to the pivot point of the unicycle, it's much easier for the motor to keep the wheel under you than with the OW.

But like most things that have the biggest payoff, they're usually the most difficult to learn.

• @poopmonkey it's super intuitive and feels amazing. I wouldnt change anything except more range and speed. Maybe more customization of different riding preferences with the app but overall it's the best thing out there right now. Not comparable to any other boards or electric vehicles on the market.

• Banned

I thought the ninebot one was gyro tech (and it may be) but I also learned that the actual stationary 'balance' function of the unicycle (aside from the wheel spinning to compensate) is actually neodymium magnets that engage when its turned. I'm not an engineer just throwing it out there as a topic of discussion.

• @poopmonkey My Wikipedia link is fairly comprehensive in explaining that all self-balancing unicycles use inverse-pendulum theory to accomplish what they do, and I don't really see how magnets would have any effect on keeping a 200-lb person upright on a single-wheel device, so I'm not sure how to have a discussion about it, but if you have any links explaining it I'd like to read what they have to say.

• Banned

Ill have to find where I read that

• Banned

@thegreck when you ride it what causes the front or back to scrape, just balance? Also as I understand the braking occurs when you move your foot off the sensor. Is the braking smooth like a unicycle and do the electronics help prevent you from tilting or is it totally balance and physics?

• Breaking is achieved by applying more pressure with your foot to the back footpad. Applying more weight to the front pad will make you go faster. You should generally try to keep your foot on the sensor

• Banned

@poopmonkey I understand your explanation of the onewheel having the feet placed a foot or so on either side of the pivot point but (not sure if you've ridden a unicycle) there's something in the unicycle that makes it physically impossible to tilt it forward or backwards. Being familiar with its strength I cant imagine it would be much different if the feet were placed like the onewheel. I've never ridden the onewheel so I'm just trying to understand if it employs that same functionality.

• @poopmonkey Sorry, it's just difficult to explain the physics and mechanics behind inverse pendulum theory, but when your feet are at the pivot point (like on the unicycles) it's just much easier for the wheel to stay under you because you physically are the pendulum. But on a OneWheel, since there's actually a lever involved (the board), then if you're not careful, you very easily get all your weight too far ahead of the wheel if you lean directly onto one footpad or the other, in which case there's just no possible way for the wheel to get under your weight, and what happens is you speed out of control because the wheel ends up PUSHING you forward, rather than getting under you as it's attempting to do. Then the nose of the board hits the ground, and catapults you, and then the nose on your face hits the ground.

• Banned

I understand. The onewheel uses the same tech as the unicycle it just has a limit of how much it can balance due to the weight being distributed differently that the unicycle.

• @poopmonkey Exactly.

• Banned

Can you brake quickly and smoothly like a unicycle without scraping?

• @poopmonkey watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plnt3Lw7Grc at about 1:14 or so you can see how fast you can brake

• @poopmonkey Yeah, like @chabis's video link demonstrates (among various other great examples of what the OW can do), the regenerative braking lets you pretty much stop on a dime, even at top speed. And it's really smooth, because since you're already leaning opposite of your momentum to make the braking work, you don't have to worry about flying off the front of the board, as you might when you brake on other electric skateboards.

It's actually one of my favorite things to do, to go full speed towards an immovable object, then start braking just a few feet before hitting it. Kinda freaks people out, because they're expecting me to wreck.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.