How do the sensor pads work in high speed?

• I got my first nosedive and it is quite possible that I just stepped through the max speed and caused it foolishly myself. But what if it was due to sensor pad programming?

The manual says that the board shuts down if the pressure ceases on either pad. Now when I do higher G turns, I notice that the pressure on the inner pad is far lower than when going straight. So how does it work?

1. Does the board shut off always when the other sensor pad is de-pressed?

2. Or does the board remain activated in higher speed when only one sensor pad is pressed?

My vote would definitely be for option 2) , but I don't know. Does some of you readers know?

Cheers, and keep that nose up. @44yo a nosedive on tarmac already hurts a bit :-/

• Under .5 mph you have to be on both sensors or the board will stop balancing.. Over .5mph you only have to be on one.. This is so the board will stay active if you turn hard and your toes or heel come off

• What @njcustom says, but also important: If you push to hard (put too much weight) on the front side of the OW, the engine can't handle it and will throw you off also...

• Yes, what @Polle said. Most nosedives are caused by putting too much weight on the nose. Remember to keep your weight equally distributed on both sides of the board at all time and just tilt the deck with your legs, not by leaning forward.

• What Everyone said here ^^^ is Right on Point.

• Thanks guys!
    As I suspected, I stepped through max speed while showing off :-b

• It seems that the board does shut off once you've passed the point of push back, and I'm not sure why it does that. My brother had a really hard time learning this, but was always been able to recover before eating sh@#. I've also noticed it does exactly the same thing on "classic" mode which doesn't make any sense to me at all since it's governed at around 8 mph and has a lot more to give. Why cant it just push back more at least on "classic" mode rather than shut down? There must be a reason, but I have no idea what it would be. I've just decided to not push it too close to it's limits. I find it a lot more fun to ride when I'm not worried about it shutting off.

• @J-Glide said:

It seems that the board does shut off once you've passed the point of push back, and I'm not sure why it does that.

I'm not sure this is true, unless it's just a glitch in some boards. A lot of people (like @TonyGDTLA and @njcustom) have fought the pushback, which is around 15mph, and gotten up to 20+mph.

• @thegreck I can't speak for their boards, but I know all 5 boards that are in my family shut down if you try it.

• @J-Glide I can see that. Maybe at 15mph, the board speeds up to 20 in an attempt to shift your weight back (pushback), so if you try to push past that, it cuts out because you've bypassed max speed. Just a guess.

• @thegreck that's not the feeling I've felt when it does it. The motor gets jittery and feels like it just gives up, and dumps the front end down.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.