Flying To The UK With OW

• I'm having my OW delivered to Florida, in time for my vacation. I will then be returning Home to the UK on British Airways. Will I be able to bring it back with me on the plane?

Not sure what the airline's policy is with batteries.....

• @NikJL I was told by US airport authorities, that if you were to check the board and it got through security somehow that they don't insure anything more than $300 for items checked. I don't know about the UK, but I'm sure most airlines are the same.

Also, I tried taking one as a carry on last month and it was a no go. Before the damn Chinese exploding piles of crap, I was able to just carry it on any plane.

• I was in China last year.. When coming back to my country, the airport security didn't let me take my Airwheel with me, so I had to take off the battery and leave it there.. When back in Brazil I got new batteries. Problem solved.
    You can take your Onewheel with you in plane, but without the bateries.. Problem is this batteries are Li-phospate, I think are more difficult to find in UK. I recommend you post your onewheel by mail to yourself in UK.. Your gonna get it a feel days later

• I tried checking it through British Airways as a skateboard, no go. So then I tried checking it through Lufthansa as film equipment, no go. In both cases they knew exactly what it was. What makes it worse is now I can't find anyone that will ship it air freight to Europe. USPS and DHL said no go. So my brother is having fun holding onto my board until I can find a way to get it to Europe.

• @tmock12
    Holy crap that sucks for you! Great for your brother though. Hahaha.....

@marcelo
    I'm not positive, but I think if you unplug the OneWheel battery it has to be re-calibrated.

• Thanks everyone - I'm not sure what the best option is. If I ordered the OW from Future Motion straight to the UK, it would travel by plane and there wouldn't be any issues....so some couriers / airlines must be ok with it.

The batteries can't be taken out can they?

• @NikJL Not easily, and I think it might void the warranty. It's in a watertight case.

• @thegreck thanks, I thought that might be the case.

• @NikJL any luck?

• @NikJL how did you go?

• @foregetyourfeet I have left it in the USA, a family member said they will try taking it back for me when they return. Will let you know if they succeed. Missing it a lot!

• I'm interested to hear how you get on with this.
    I've been contemplating buying a OW for the last few months, but the shipping charge / import tax for the UK is just too much.

I'm heading to Orlando in September, and I see Ron Jon Surf Shops sell OW over the counter. I'd love to pick one up there and put it in a suitcase for travelling home.
    There are also 10% off vouchers for Ron Jon online, so it'd be cheaper still.

I saw a thread about removing the wheel. This would make it much easier to pack - as it could even be split across 2 cases. We're flying Virgin Premium, so get extra baggage allowance. I'd need to check the dimensions of the OW versus the dimensions of my cases to make sure it'd fit!

• @p3eps
    Future Motion Always stated that when the Wheel is taken off, the OW needs calibration, so I think this will not be possible...

• @Polle

The thread where the guy took the wheel of and changed the tire has no mention of recalibration.
    He said it just worked fine.

I just wish there was a UK or European distributed that I could purchase from so that I don't have to pay $300 shipping and around £300 import tax!

• @p3eps There are dealers in Europe. On the website if you click on dealers / distributors then type in UK, there are shops listed in the Netherlands, France and I think Germany. Once you have the name of the dealer google them, they have their own websites. I found a few would ship to the UK. Although I'm still hoping mine will come back from Florida next month !

• @NikJL
    I have found a shop in Amsterdam and one in Austria that sell online and ship to the UK for free.
    It's €1699, which works out to be about £1340.
    With the price of the dollar at the moment, this is pretty much the same price as it would cost from the US including shipping. That's before I have any import charges... so I'd probably end up about £300 better off ordering from Europe.

Now, the real question is - should I spend £1340 on a Onewheel without having ever stepped on one?! £1340 is a LOT of money!

• @p3eps Can u tell what shop sells it online. Would like to get one from europe because of the fees and shipping. I'm from finland.

• @p3eps The answer to your 'real question' is YES. I ordered mine a month ago after a ton of research (over a year) but no test drives. WORTH EVERY PENNY!! Once you get on it you'll kick yourself for waiting...

• @p3eps yep, I saw it also, good to know! And indeed it's a lot of extra money...

I also doubted over a year before buying and i'm soooo glad I did it!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.