Android App

• I know that I and quite a few others are awaiting the Android version of the app. Figured I'd just start a thread so any updates on timing, functionality or other comments could be heard.

• I'm also very excited for an android version of the app. As it is I use my wife's iPad to talk to the board, which means I can't do it on the go.

• Same here, add me to the list of OneWheel Android users that are anxiously waiting for the app.
    Wish list:
    Would be great if the app logged total miles, whether or not I opened it before a ride.
    A large font Speedometer digit display would be nice, perhaps superimposed over the battery meter.

• I send a mail to future motion about the android app and here is the answer

Future Motion (Future Motion)
    May 20, 10:58
    Hi Fab,

Thanks for the note. We've had to push back the Android app for more pressing engineering development. We are pushing hard to get the android app out by the end of the year.

All the Best,
    Jack

:(

• Also waiting. It would be nice to get the new firmware.

@fabuz said:

I send a mail to future motion about the android app and here is the answer
    ...by the end of the year.
    :(

That does sound rather unfortunate. I was hoping that we could get it this summer at least. I expect quite a few of us will be able to get some more time to ride in the summer.

About wishes, I feel there's a problem with leaving the board anywhere. Riding isn't always a possibility, and sometimes you might have to leave it for a little while, or not bring it at all.
    Locking it down with a chain is one possibility, I'm considering to get something that fits.
    But I was thinking, would a "lock-down" function be any good?
    It's still pretty easy to just pick up and take, but if you are just leaving it for a minute, at least they can't start it and ride away. I don't think it's going to be stolen, but with the price being what it is I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• I bought several of these, and they work very well. They fit easily between the rail and the tire.

• Also waiting, impatiently for the Android app.
    Porting an app isn't that hard. Especially this app, since it's not like it's a first person shooter on the iOS, which needs to run close to the silicon, or take advantage of Apple-only APIs. It's just a control UI with a bluetooth link. I mean the iOS app has, what, three functions?

1 battery level
    2 choose the ride shape

Well, make that two main functions. If you don't have resources, outsource. It doesn't need to be pretty.

• @lynnpreston I would not trust my $1,500 on that lock, out of my sight.

I'm using the Master Lock Street Cuff. Much harder to pick, cut, or break. But heavy.

• They can't even get the boards out let alone a simple app.. They claim they are waiting for the market to approve it.. Why wouldn't they just have a version to download from their site? Maybe because its not even in the works yet? That's my guess

• If they're saying it's being approved means they're not even working on it. There's no approvals for Google play, you can download the apk/app from anywhere...

• I'm waiting for the android app anxiously as well. I need to change ride mode. I learned to ride in extreme mode on a friend's board ... and having to start in classic when mine arrived felt crazy. My confusion let to my first amazing spill on my commute to work today. I'm glad these things are built tough, lol.

• Android is a nightmare to develop for. It's not as simple as you think.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/university-of-cambridge-study-finds-87-of-android-devices-are-insecure/

• @lardnicus why are their 50 million android apps then?

• You can changed the mode setting manually..

• It's gotta be very hard, with all those fancy graphics and features... lol

1. Setup bluetooth connection
    2. Pull config
    3. Display config
    4. Change mode...

This isn't rocket science it's just laziness...and really, at this point if they'd just release an API or some docs someone we write a basic no frills app..

• @Kerton - it all depends on where you live. Sure, anything can happen anywhere. For me, the risk/convenience calculation works out with that lock.

If I lived in a more populated area, I would definitely use a heftier chain.

• If there's a published API I'll write a basic app!

• @lardnicus, you keep posting how hard it is to develop for Android. And I say I don't understand why a basic demo of application to do the basic functions couldn't be done in a weekend.

It doesn't support 100% of devices? Fine, release it with support to the 40 top devices, that should cover over 80% or so, and update for next devices in the future.

My bet is that they are trying to replace the protocol so people can't tinker with it. In apple the application puts the PIN for you, so you can't access the BT connection.

• My bet is they haven't started making one..

• @matanm I'm only guessing based on my own development experience with that platform, and all I'm really saying (if I'm saying anything at all) is that; "it's not as simple as your think".

Further to that, it's not as simple as... "[releasing] it with support to the 40 top devices..."

What about the people who don't have a supported device? What are the risks involved if the application doesn't function as expected? What about the tidal wave of support emails and calls from Android users who think that their device should be in that top 40 because it's so wonderful and they paid a lot of money for it. What about if they do have a supported device but not a supported version of Android? On and on...

That aside, we are also talking about bluetooth... Something Android phones have massive, well known issues with. You can't tell every second Android user to download the Android bluetooth connection removal tool when they inevitably get in to trouble.

So the short answer would be yes, sure, they could release a half working version, things not working right is an accepted part of the Android experience, but a slightly longer answer is that it's going to be more frustrating for everyone that way.

It might have been one stuff up with a test version that has opened up a huge can of worms for them with one of the umpteen versions of Android out there in the wild. Judging by how long it's taking, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those very small, nuanced quirks in the system that causes the biggest of headaches. It could be as simple as pairing or it could be as serious as a safety issue. Point is, we don't know, but from my experience developing any kind of app that does more than make fart sounds, this is completely reasonable when it comes to such a fragmented and poorly supported platform.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.