Newbie (Real World!) Beginners Manual.

• My beginners guide! Members please add anything I may have forgotten. Please forgive typos. Hope this helps!!

@veryous @J-Glide @Wayne @sidebox @DocBlock @Franky @818 @forzabucks @Carlo @fabuz @Wayne @Willy

1. Cracks or Large flaws in the pavement must me taken with caution! Slow grade raise are mostly ok once you get the hang of them. I even go over large speed bumps now... Below is an example of something to be cautious about... My thought usually is "I can probably make that"... followed by "nope!" as my ass is trying to run that shit out!

love2.jpg

This next pic (a slow little hill) is something that is usually no big deal after a few weeks of riding... 5 miles per hour on this would not be an issue. Over 10 miles per hour could be a problem.

love4.jpg

1. Don't lift or adjust your foot off the blue sensor while riding. Once you get better at it you can slide it carefully and slightly but you never want to lift your foot off while riding. The board will stop and you will do a flying face plant...

2. Always put the same foot on the blue sensor. Left foot if your regular and right if your goofy foot. This protects against the board flying when you dismount.

3. Experement with tire pressure. My neighborhood has lots of flaws in the pavement. For that reason I like to run my pressure really low. Around 14 pounds. I suggest on the low side for beginners as it is easier. Normal is typically about 15-17 pounds and people that love speed and have places go quickly, seem to go up to 22 pounds. Again firm for long distance and speed. Soft for off road and bumpy conditions.

4. Careful when you are going uphill or leaning/execrating too fast!

5. Baby steps are best when dealing with turning, braking, acceleration and tricks of any sort. Beginners will often get too cocky too fast and that often leads to your ass on the pavement.

6. Dismounts are done best by simply jumping off with both feet or my personal favorite, raising my sensor foot to the side slightly when at a balanced stop... Once foot is off sensor board will turn off and drop down with ease.
      Pic below-

FullSizeRender.jpg

When jumping or dismounting don't leave your sensor foot on the board longer than your back foot unless you want to do the splits and pull a groin.

1. Lateral stability is more you than the board.

2. Speed makes balancing easier.

3. When letting someone try out your board give them your helmet and remind them that you are not responsible of they fall off for any reason. I would suggest holding people with your arm out for a bit while they get used to it.

4. If you run the board completely out of power it will start to give you heavy pushback. Which means the breaks will slowly being to start to fail on you. This is scary and I do what I can to avoid it. Keep a watchful eye on your app for battery power.

5. Driving through grass and dirt is awesome but is more fun for a beginner when it is somewhat smooth terrain. The bumpier it gets the slower you must go.

6. Eliminate Ego when riding a OneWheel. Cocky will get you an almost certain intimate meeting with the pavement ;)

7. Last but not least, wear a helmet, wrist, knee guards and elbow guards. Most important are helmet and wrist guards. This will save your ass in the first month of riding especially...

Hope that helps! Members: Please feel free to add in case I missed anything.

PS: These guidelines are by no means for everyone. To each his own... Only my opinion based on the riding (and research) I've done up till this point.

• I'll keep adding in time, but a piece of advice I give to anyone trying my board is:

1. Look at where you want to go. Your body will naturally shift to get to that place. The second you think you are smooth sailing and start to check out whoever may be checking you out, bad things like loss of balance or unexpected obstacles tend to pop up. Don't ride cocky.

• Dude, well done. Newbies pay attention

• Seems pretty comprehensive. I agree! Great little beginners guide! @MichaelW . I would only add that I follow this dismount method, which looks badass when you pull up to a light, and is comfortable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSRbAf7obNQ

I will just add that if you don't come to slow and complete stop, the bird will buck you with this method, and you'll end up on your ass. Come to a complete stop and then pivot.

• *very important for me: the knees are the shock absorber...a good flex and relaxed posture will avoid you a lots of surprise...
    @MichaelW maybe you already talk about it(i don't understand everything,my english speaking and comprehension is too crappy,do not hesitate to correct me)...in this case tell me and i delete this post...

• I agree with @fabuz don't lock your knees as this will make it harder to absorb bumps and keep your balance. Don't squat, but keep them bent and fluid. If you've ever ridden any other kind of board, you will soon adapt that style to the Onewheel.

Yes, don't ride cocky or emotional. I did that the other day and have a sore and sprained knee after learning my lesson the hard way.

@michaelw Great post!

• Another one:

Practice riding switch as much as possible in the beginning. You don't want to be 100% reliant on the comfortable way to ride, especially around pedestrians and intersections. Know how to quickly reverse out of any situation.

• Wet grass is about the only surface I seem to lose traction on

• @forzabucks YES! Good one bro!! I spent the first week going back and forward, back and forward, down my block... Super fun and necessary for riding in airports and any other crowded area you ride in before you get kicked out by sucurity ;)

• oh, I would also add: Don't test the battery reading. I saw that I was down in the red at 20%, but I pushed on a few more blocks before heading home. The battery died 10 blocks from home. Not a fun walk with a 25lb anchor. I got tired of walking so I tried to turn on the OW and get through the last few blocks. It died and threw me after about 20 feet. I was able to run it out, but I won't be trying that again.

• Early on I powered on twice after it pushed back to shutdown for battery. Both times I got 50-100 yards before pushback to shutdown. Never had it shut off while riding because of low battery. Now I don't push it just because I don't want to hurt the batteries.

• @MichaelW great post.

One thing I tell people when they try my board is "trust the board, as long as your feet are good the board wont let you fall"

• There is a crosswalk near my house with really, really thick paint spelling "STOP" on the road. If I hit that at speed when it's damp out, I will fall. There is something about the dynamic of those rapid, slick bumps that cause the OW firmware and me to completely lose it. Just a word of caution to watch out for road paint, particularly on inclines when it's wet out.

• Rule 100) Avoid potholes as big as your board unlike me tonight. I pass this every night but I must have been dreaming tonight. At least I got a couple steps off to slow the landing. image.jpg

• image.jpg

• @Franky ouuuuuuuuuuuuuch:ambulance:
    I have chills :fearful:

• Everyone should expect to fall at some point in time.
    Plenty of distractions will aid in an imbalance and wobble ...

Lots of Practice will make you that much more competent though

• @DocBlock said:

Wet grass is about the only surface I seem to lose traction on

Try wet polished concrete or mud, should be super fine sand, like river silt.

You can lose traction on both of those I've discovered.

• Tips for your first time:

1. Make sure you have a couple of meters of space in every direction when you first step on the board. Don't be an idiot (like me) and try it in a crowded parking lot, nearly hit a parked car, panic and get hurt from a bad dismount.

2. Do not try to make a U turn on your first couple of tries (especially not near parked cars, see point 1). It isn't that easy. Riding a two meter wide straight path and want to go back? Stop, get off the board, spin it around while dismounted, get back on and ride back.

3. Consider taking making your first attempt on grass, something nicely groomed like a lawn.

Basically parked cars are bad to be near when learning the basics. They hurt if you hit them and if you manage to damage one then there will be expensive repairs. Presumably goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) moving cars are far worse than their parked cousins. Stay away from them, wobbling along struggling for control of your new toy on a narrow footpath where there's cars whizzing by at 60kmh within a meter or two of you is not pleasant.

• @DocBlock said:

Wet grass is about the only surface I seem to lose traction on

Got some wheelspin on wet grass tonight but momentum carried me onto the dry part, wheel hooked up, kept going!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.