Newbie (Real World!) Beginners Manual.

• @MichaelW glad you revived this. Good stuff in here.

• Sometimes old posts need to see the light of day again.

• @Buckaroo-Banzai Have you seen this?

• As a total n00b I am grateful for this post. I've been lurking these forums for months and didn't know it existed; so thanks for the bump @MichaelW ! If this post could be pinned I would support that.

• So many people are getting hurt. Read this people!!

• @MichaelW No matter how long or loud we've been trying to preach and teach this stuff, people see one, they buy it, they ride it, and they crash. Why doesn't anyone do any research first??

There's especially no excuse for all these guys who had to wait 2+ months for their OW+ to arrive and immediately wreck, THEN get on the forums to ask questions. I had read every entry in this entire forum and watched every Onewheel video available by the time I got mine and attempted to ride it.

Knowledge is power, folks! This thread and others like it can be the difference between having fun and wearing a cast for a month!

• @thegreck You read my mind... It's crazy how everyone just pushes through the limitations of the OW and nosedives within the first couple of rides.

I think WE were so amazed by this new and mythical floating device, we took babysteps to learn and practice.
    But the newer riders already saw a ton of videos or real life flybys, and think they can do the same thing...

• TIme for a bump perhaps!

• @polle said in Newbie (Real World!) Beginners Manual.:

@thegreck You read my mind... It's crazy how everyone just pushes through the limitations of the OW and nosedives within the first couple of rides.
    I think WE were so amazed by this new and mythical floating device, we took babysteps to learn and practice.
    But the newer riders already saw a ton of videos or real life flybys, and think they can do the same thing...

That's it ! All that crazy noobs riding the Andromeda firmware have to read those words!!!!

• Why all the bagging on new users :-)
    Im 200% Noob, never had the slightest expectation this would be easy-breezy day one. it was wobble-fest. reminded me of the first tries on skateboard decades ago.. no blood so far..

Maybe the beginners manual need to be updated by some of the original OW pilots, and become a PDF on the WiKi ?

Maybe include a in-depth discussion of current ride modes. I find the mellow Sequoia quite nice for my noobness.. little less jittery than Mission. but most people tell me mission is the best for beginners.. sooo?

• @dansker no bagging here...
    Just think it's stupid people are complaining and blaming FM when they are pushing until max speed in the first 100 km's they ride...

• @dansker Like @Polle said, it's not all new users across the board, it's the ones who find that they aren't able to instantly master the Onewheel within 5 minutes of riding, so they jump on the forums and write a 100-page novel screaming that there's something wrong with the product and refusing to place any of the blame on simple inexperience.

It's annoying to the riders who took their time to learn how the board works before tying to push its limits. Plus it's just weird, because you never see it in any other board sport. Like, you won't see someone buy their first skateboard and immediately drop into a 15-foot half pipe, then blame the maker of the board when they rupture their spleen.

• Just a thought but someone might want to compare the age/demographics of the complainers. I am a "mature" rider at 55+ and I can tell you, I am very careful because broken bones take longer to heal than a 20 something that loves to take risks.

That being said, I do like to go fast as well and sometimes push it a bit. Between age and number of miles ridden, you may be able to separate the risk takers from the rest.

Finally, as a new company, it is conceivable that production issues (like bad sensor pads and connections, bad firmware, etc) could also be a source of some of the nose diving reports but I would have to guess product misuse is the majority (just my humble opinion).

• I spent my first several rides in an abandoned church parking lot. I used the painted parking lines like training paths or cones to go around. I would ride all the way down one of the parking rows practicing my turning around the lines. When I got to the end of the row I would dismount. Climb back on the board riding switch with the other foot forward and ride back down the row practicing switch riding and dismounting again at the other end

Basically I recommend becoming comfortable with riding and turning and dismounting in both directions. The board is symmetrical and one should be able to ride it as such. It'll make the board more fun and more safe.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.