Preventive maintenance/ protecting your Onewheel

• I know some of us have experimented with plasti dip paint/ wraps and duct tape on the frame rails for protection, but has anyone done this right out of the box? I've been considering dipping my new one when it comes but I'm not sure if the paint will really keep it looking new by preventing scratches. Would I be wasting my time trying to stop the inevitable? Or will a strip of duct tape on the frame rail or a few coats of paint keep it looking fresh underneath?
    Edit: I only want to keep my board in good shape so it holds its value best as possible, I don't mind the scratches myself but if it is easy enough to lessen them and possibly save a few bucks, why not, right?

• @mikeyjihad Dude! Both of my OneWheels look near new using doubled up Gorilla tape

http://www.dickblick.com/products/gorilla-tape/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=24137-2502&gclid=CjwKEAjwxruuBRC9lLGslqjs-HISJAAkq21sP7ncHQtcUWgqkm3o9x4ZQr9hQzSQQbMOdaMZMd--3RoC4unw_wcB

(Its extra thick already) on the frame rails. I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, they sometimes still get nicked here and there but its about 5% of what you would get otherwise. Dipping is awesome too. If I knew it could be done perfectly (some of the people that have done it on here have done an amazing job) I would do that but I don't really trust myself to make it look amazing so I'll wait on that for now. Again, YOU WILL scratch it, its just all about reducing the amount of scratches. Its not worth it to be anal about it as it will just defeat the purpose of why you bought the OneWheel in the first place. Enjoy!

• At the risk of getting flamed here, I don't really understand the purpose of all this, other than maybe improving resale value. It reminds me of my grandma's house in Brooklyn that had plastic coverings over all the couches and chairs to "keep them looking nice". Huh?
    I don't understand how duct tape would look better than the way it comes, plus wouldn't the duct tape get dinged too?
    Plasti-dip might look better, based on your preferences, but that's just personal preference and it will get dinged too (though might be more resilient.
    I am going to be trying @megabuen0's carbon fiber "cf wrap", but that's only because I prefer the look over the default blue, but I perfectly expect it to get dinged.
    Finally, I agree with what @MichaelW says about " it will just defeat the purpose of why you bought the OneWheel in the first place."

• Thanks so much for the input guys! I should have made it clear that the only significant reason for my preventive maintenance would be to keep resale value up for when the Onewheel 2 rolls out, beyond that I'm not a big fan of blue myself and dipping the rails a new color every couple weeks would be pretty cool if it holds up well!

• @kbern said:

here, I don't really understand the purpose of all this, other than maybe improving resale value. It reminds me of my grandma's house in Brooklyn that had plastic coverings over all the couches and chairs to "keep them looking nice". Huh?
    I don't understand how duct tape would look better than the way it comes, plus wouldn't the duct tape get dinged too?
    Plasti-dip might look better, based o

How easy can the blue rails come off to dip them? or would you cover it up up and spray it?

• I have always been a fan of Plasti -
    I have done my POV full dip -
    I don't doubt the product use on a lot of applications. I probably won't use it on my OW - because I do expect it to get road rash every now and again. I rather wipe it down and move on versus repairing a Plasti dip job , peeling a coat to redo the whole thing etc...

• @eish I would spray them and tape off the rest, I wouldn't trust myself to disassemble it

• Spray them with dip, haha

• @eish it's been easy for me to peal it off and redo it. It has also stood up against scratching really well!

• The blue color looks nicer in person than it does in pictures and video. A coating might help slightly if you are really concerned about resale value but most scrapes will probably go right through.

It's really the footpads and grip that really age the board more than anything. I'd say only add protection if it adds the look you are going for v

• Kind of funny to see how careful people are being with their boards when I look at mine. I've had it for two weeks and my footpads are both chipped up and the back one is cracked. My rail edges are nicked and scratched wherever possible. The perils of riding every day for 3 hours while hitting just about every pothole in Brooklyn. I guess I'll probably sand it and re-spray at some point and replace my footpads. I'm definitely going to screw down my griptape, that's the only thing that bothers me.

• It's very personnal but I love my OW like she is :smile:
    20150813_184633-1024x576.jpg
    I'll take more care of my next boards :)
    :metal: :metal: :metal:

• @sidebox to respray would you disassemble?

• @eish I would take off my endcaps and my foot pads, but I don't see a need to do anything else. I would just be careful and use an edged piece of paper around the button and charging port. I'm going to do it when I replace my footpads at some point. Probably not for a few more months.

• @fabuz , I don't know how you did it but you got me beat. I'm with you that the wear and tear doesn't bother me at all. Not sure I'd have much fun if I was always worried about scratching it. Replace the footpads down the road and yours will look mostly as good as new.

• How about one of those 3M clear films for cars? E.g.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VFYCZE#Ask

If it works for cars then it shouldn't impact the color of the OW

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.