Problem switching to flat bottom shoes

• I finally got around to getting some Vans Classic slip-ons. I originally was wearing running shoes and had no problems. With the Vans, when I mount the board and press my foot forward like usual, the board often cuts off and I end up on the front bumper as the OW shuts off. This is leading me to believe I am not engaging either sensor sometimes since I have not reached .5 mph. If I can get past .5 mph, everything seems fine but I am concerned these shoes are not engaging the sensors very well. If I switch back to running shoes I have no problems starting out. When I look at the Vans, they are actually slightly concave in the middle. I realize this is opposite of advice given but I can't figure this out..Any ideas on this issue?

• @duc809 could it be you are leaning on your toes and not applying pressure to the heel sensor when you start out? That happens to me sometimes wearing Vans. In general though, I find they are the best overall shoes for riding.

• This happens to me every so often.. I believe it's user error on my part.. I use flat sneakers but it still happens here and there..

• Perso, if I could always ride barefoot I'll willingly do that but it isn't very confortable....so I ride with shoes with the most fine sole possible (found a nice kappa model)... Ireally have to feel the sensor(and entiere footpad) under my feet! And always have a (fast)look on my foot placement.I only use the toe sensor at high speed for hard carve, like the intro of that vid:
    https://youtu.be/wZPO0zXZO4o
    Fortunatly I do not have anymore nosedive issue... (sometimes yes ;)
    Practise a lot at low speed and trust in your board ;)
    Hope it will help you!

• @fabuz Which Kappa model shoe do you wear? When you say "most fine sole possible," do you mean "thinnest" sole possible for more feel? Is the Kappa sole stiff or flexible? I've been using Nike SB shoes and they have been fine. I don't know if I should try a stiffer sole like the old school Vans that have been a popular topic recently. Thank you for all your contributions to the forum!

• @wheelking said:

@fabuz Which Kappa model shoe do you wear?

Kappa "ottawa" 50€.

When you say "most fine sole possible," do you mean "thinnest" sole possible for more feel?

Yes! I thought that the word "thin" was only for people :)

Is the Kappa sole stiff or flexible? .

Yes they are flexible but they are not running shoes!

Thank you for all your contributions to the forum!

Happy to help all ow's brothers ;)
    See ya!

• Wow, thanks for the ideas! I never thought about my error, lol. Makes sense now. Can't wait to test, sigh, traveling. Before your answers, I thought about putting a small circle of gorilla tape over the middle of each sensor for insurance. Would that have been a bad idea?

• @duc809 said in Problem switching to flat bottom shoes:

I finally got around to getting some Vans Classic slip-ons. I originally was wearing running shoes and had no problems. With the Vans, when I mount the board and press my foot forward like usual, the board often cuts off and I end up on the front bumper as the OW shuts off. This is leading me to believe I am not engaging either sensor sometimes since I have not reached .5 mph. If I can get past .5 mph, everything seems fine but I am concerned these shoes are not engaging the sensors very well. If I switch back to running shoes I have no problems starting out. When I look at the Vans, they are actually slightly concave in the middle. I realize this is opposite of advice given but I can't figure this out..Any ideas on this issue?

That's weird because with Vans being so flat, i would think that it would be hard NOT to trigger both sides of the sensor. When I wear my Vans, it feels like the board is glued to my feet, which is not how it feels with my other shoes. Hope you figure it out.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.