Convince me to go Onewheel- and looking to buy if so

• Hi, I'm Rich. I'm a disabled veteran that lives in Pittsburgh. I'm looking to buy a Onewheel for the following reasons:

• It'll get me outside more and help me kick depression

• It'll help me regain balance I lost in an injury

• I live across from where I work and I'm strongly considering selling my vehicle, the range of the Onewheel is roughly all I need most of the time

That all said, $1300 is a huge investment. What makes Onewheel better than the $350-900 Chinese models I am seeing? The lower end of that budget spectrum I can see why- the slope traversing, but some on the higher end of that spectrum have similar slope ability and even better range. What are the perks of Onewheel?

If I'm convinced Onewheeel is 'the one,' I'm interested, but Onewheel doesn't offer a military discount- does anyone have a used (but fully functional) Onewheel they'd be willing to sell? I'd be able to cover shipping costs.

• Onewheel is quality built and it shows.
    Also, it can be serviced if need be.
    I'd go with a used one rather than a knockoff that you can't fix, not to mention the ride quality.

• @th3r21ndr0p I don't want to sound disrespectful, but in my opinion, being in decent physical condition and having good balance is pretty much imperative when riding a Onewheel, otherwise you might seriously hurt yourself. I've seen a few others in similar situations comment in the forum that they either hurt themselves or are selling their Onewheel because they were afraid they might.

You can make your own informed decision (and if you decide to give it a shot, then DEFINITELY I'd go with Onewheel over the Chinese versions, as those are pretty much crap), I just wanted to throw in my opinion as I'd hate to see one of our nation's heroes hurt themselves. Best regards.

• @thegreck

+1 to what thegreck said.

I've messed around with many electric gadgets,
    from e bicycles, e skateboards, e scooters, and now the Onewheel.

If I'm gonna keep one, it would be my E-Twow electric scooter.
    Range is impressive and it's only 23lbs.

This thing can really make a difference in your life, from short errands to just taking a ride to the park or around the neighborhood. I can't live without the damn thing.

I sold my electric bicycle as I found it a hassle.
    Still ride my e skateboard but hasn't gotten much ride time since I got the Onewheel.

At one time, I considered selling my Onewheel for 'fear of nose dive' as I had one. Then decided to keep it after getting the hang of it.

• Hey Rich,
    Let me start with the ride experience, since that might be the largest hurdle. You can read a bit more about how I describe the experience to new folks here: http://community.onewheel.com/topic/2945/accident-log/14 but I should elaborate a bit more if you haven't tried out a Onewheel at all. When you first get on, it is very wobbly. Sometimes front to back (with the wheel), but way more so side to side (across the wheel). To me it felt like I was trying to stand still on top of a jungle gym rail. If you're working with someone to rehab your injury, you will probably want to have a discussion with them about whether it's the right time to give it a shot. If you have someone that's willing to learn with you and help you learn (balancing hand holding at first and all that), you'll have a blast once you start to get the hang of it.

On the price, it is definitely steeper than the knock-offs. However, with that price comes engineering effort that started back in January of 2014. You'll notice there haven't been newer models that have come out over time. FutureMotion appears to be invested in supporting this current hardware for some time to come. You're also getting very high, made in America build quality. Take a look at some of the videos people post around the forums of offroad, stunts, etc and you'll see that this thing can put up with just about anything you can throw at it. I'm convinced I'll break myself before I'll break the board.

If there's anyone in the Pittsburgh area willing to let you check out their OneWheel in person, perhaps they'll chime in. Either way, I hope that info helps. Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about, that I didn't answer.

Lastly, but certainly not least, thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

• I just got mine 3 days ago and each ride gets better. It's built solid, I feel very secure on this thing and I'm 200+ I don't think the clones would feel this secure. I'm amazed at how well this thing handles at slow speed, you can really curve with it once you learn how to lean. I highly recommend this thing!!

• @th3r21ndr0p I can't encourage you enough to take the plunge into onewheeling. From the recent feedback we have been getting from down under about the Chinese trotter it's a no-brainer to pay on the front side for the huge difference in quality you will get with the onewheel. Also on the subject of onewheeling being an entrance point for improving balance and mental health I can personally attest onewheeling dramatically improves both of these areas with slow cautious practice. The slow cautious part is just to avoid injuries that might slow progress in those areas. I struggle with chronic back issues and neuropathy in my leg that has at times caused me both limited mobility and depression. The onewheel has been a god send in terms of giving me back a sense of youth and freedom to adventure that I didn't feel like I would ever experience again. The first time you experience the onewheel joy will wash over your entire body and psyche. I've been riding over 6 months and I still get that feeling everytime I hop on. I had a birthday ride on Sunday and was laughing out loud feeling really close to having a non-sexual full body orgasm as I ripped through the forrest. You will thank yourself over and over for this investment in your future happy self! Don't hesitate find a used onewheel and join the future! If only all the ass holes in Washington were commuting via onewheel they might remember what life is really all about!

• @ashewheeler LOL...

True. I've had nights when I recharged 3-4 times...
    Needless to say, you'll end up with a good night sleep... ;)

• @th3r21ndr0p also just wanted to thank you for your service Rich! We are all deeply indebted to you. Hope everything starts getting better for you man!

• @sonny123 @thegreck @ashewheeler @akraut I agree with these guys 100% They said it all. And yes you will have so much fun you find yourself out late at night after your 4th recharge .....Past midnight riding the streets with a big smile on your face the whole time I do it all the time.

• I suppose the quality and warranty are the sell points. As for safety, I'll just need to feel it out carefully but I'm sure I'll manage :)

Anyone know anyone looking to let go of a used one?

• First off, thank you for your service. Secondly, hopefully I can give you a realistic feel for the pros and cons (While people on this forum undoubtedly have had a great experience on their board, you have to realize you are asking advice from a demographic that loves the product). I personally love my board but want people to have a realistic understanding of what they are buying. (Thinking of doing a full length review in this forum later)

Positives

1. If it is simply considering whether the money difference between the OW and Chinese made board is worth it, it is. There is no doubt about it. The build quality is solid. The most accurate description I have heard is that it "was built like a tank" as it can truly take just about any terrain and abuse you can throw at it (with a warranty should you find a way to break it).

2. It truly is an enjoyable experience as the others have said. It is enjoyable to ride and functions well enough to qualify as both a toy and a tool, taking you where you need to go (within 5-7 mi) in an enjoyable manner.

Negatives

1. As others mentioned previously, you should possibly try one out and speak to a doctor as to whether you would be suited for such activity as it more physically draining than you would expect.

2. I noticed you mentioned depression. While I don't pretend to understand the depth of your circumstances, I do have a fair amount of experience with depression and its tendencies. While the board may provide lots of relief and enjoyment in the open air, please don't put unrealistic expectations on it. While it is quite fun, the way some people explain it, it sounds like it gives them a high. It doesn't and won't magically free you from the worries of the world. What it will do is give you a relaxing, fun period of time.

3. Lastly, the price tag. It is a lot, however, if you were willing to spend around $800 for a Chinese model, I would say go for it and spend the extra bucks to get something quality that both feels and looks like it will provide plenty of fun for years to come

• Onewheelin is a blast. The more you learn how to ride it, the more fun it is. I was skeptical of the price vs value but it's really worth it. As I have heard before...More than I wanted to spend but less than it is worth. I'm also 47 and it has been fun to learn and ride the OW. It's addicting. I think I get more fun from it then I did with my boat. I know I use the OW more than we used the boat...and my boat cost a lot more!
    I'm hoping my son can save enough money to buy one of his own so we can ride together. :) He loves it to!

• The OW it's very addictive. I've only had mine a week and after the initial day or 2 of riding it around by yard, I decided to take it out one night. I never thought it could be so fun just cruising around my neighbor hood in the middle of the night. There are hardly and street lights, the roads could use some work and none of them are straight, so it ends up perfect for the OW! I've gone out every night since. The perfect end to the day.

Matt

• This post is deleted!

• If you watch the videos of people riding and look at the reviews of the different powered boards and "hoverboards" you will probably be convinced. My wife and I have been having so much fun riding that people always ask where to get one. We started giving out future motion cards to those who seem serious about buying. I think that the way we shred and the endless smiling are apparently quite the sales pitch.

• @akraut Hey I have a question for you, when you say "lift" to slow you mean actually to lift the foot from the sensor?
    Thanks

• @roy1977 lift the front of the board by slightly leaning back. Lifting your foot from the sensor will shut down the board and is to be done when you come to a stop and would like to dismount. After you slow to 1/2 of a mile per hour you can lift part of your foot off so that you are not touching both sensors and it will shut off for a graceful dismount

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.