Tire Worn Down and Leaking Some Fluid...Huh?

• I've had this glorious machine for about 3 months and ride the thing every single day it's not raining, which has been a lot lately.
    As you can see the tread has worn down significantly and whenever it has time to sit for an hour after riding, tends to start leaking this slightly oily fluid.
    Is it water getting sucked into the tire and then leaking out with with a mixture of rubber in it? I can't tell what this is. Thoughts?
    Any feedback on whether or not I should send it back and if something like this is covered under the warranty?
    Thanks all!

0_1463114395062_IMG_1542.jpg

• You have word down to the inner belt of the tire. I think it is the sealant inside the tire leaking out? What PSI have you been riding at?

• I honestly have not taken any air out, or put any in since I got it, and I don't have a pressure gauge. It's not rock solid. There's a little squish to it.

• Wow... You must be riding a ton! My guess is the tire pressure is too low. Maybe you have a slow leak and you are wearing the tire on the side more than the tread area (If the OneWheel had tread). Also, the leak is the sealant that OneWheel puts into the tire. I have never seen this... The OneWheel tire should last at least a thousand miles. @BallewBoard

• @BallewBoard Do you have a Android phone? it the app pOWheel from @kwatts you can check the total distance you rode.
    very interested!

• @BallewBoard this has got to be a tire pressure issue because the wear indicators still look plenty deep. I'm surprised this happened. FM has warned that really cold Temps can make the tire prematurely dry rot. My tire is getting these little micro fissures perpendicular to the tread at the edge of the tire exactly where your excessive wear is but the tire seems like it could go another 6 months before replacement. I would check tire pressure and send a picture to FM. It may be that the tire was defective.

• Had the exact same thing happened.
    Tire Slime might buy you couple more weeks or else you'll have to carry bicycle hand pump with you and get funny looks from passers by..
    Going 3 weeks without my OW would give me withdrawal symptoms, so I changed it myself.
    Easy process.

• @sonny123 tell us about the tire change! You are probably the first one who has executed. Did you have to recalibrate if so how? Tell us your secrets.

• I ride trails at least half the time I'm thinking pavement wears tire more quickly.

• Rider weight has got to be a variable as well I'm like 145 lbs.

• @sonny123 So you just ordered a new tire and replaced it yourself? This would be fantastic because I certainly don't want to send it away for 3 weeks! I too would go through withdrawals.... Please share how you did this. Thank you!

• @sonny123 we are all waiting about your tutorial because FM claims that we must not do it, need to recalibrate stuff and blablabla...

• I concur with the withdrawal statements. I can't ride enough and going 3 weeks would hardly be an option. Please give more info!

• Is the tire like that on both sides?
    Do you do ALOT of hard carving in pavement?
    Matt

• I ordered this and got it in few days.

http://www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=5926&CATID=3

Removing the wheel is a 10 minutes process.

Remove the cover from main board and gently unplug 2 wires coming from motor.

Remove plate covering big wire from underneath black block on the right side.

Loosen the 2 center wheel screws couple turns to be removed later.

Remove the 4 outer screws.
    Remove the small plate that give support to big wire.

Pull the right block up and remove the center screw.
    Then pull out the block.

Wiggle the other side free and remove the center screw as well.

Might wanna take couple pre-op pics for reference later.

That'll free up the wheel.

Head to a tire shop.
    The first one passed but the second was a young guy who looked at it and said 10 bucks. I said, deal.

Placed it on machine and snapped it loose.
    Placed the new tire and bingo. 10 minutes job.

Insert the left block first and make sure main wheel wire is aligned the same way it was and place center screw half way to be tightened later.

Do the same on right side.

Place it in place and put back all screws. I used some locktight on them.

Always be careful with wires and plug them back in place and close safety latches.

Tighten the center screws.

Try it in hands first.

Make sure everything is the way it was and test ride it carefully.

Go ride.

• @wr420 I do A LOT of hard carving on the pavement. It's the only way to ride!

• @sonny123 agreed, so much easier on the legs! The other day I was thinking about how people refer to the back tires on motorcycles as having a "chicken strip" when its going bald down the center, but perfect tread around the sides indicating that they don't lean the bike very far in turns. You have achieved the anti-chicken strip.
    Nice work
    Matt

• thanks @sonny123 !!

• Same thing happened to one of my tires on only one of my 2 Onewheels. My pressure was below 10psi. I used some tire slime to get some more days riding. I sent it to Onewheel last week for new tire that costs 99$ but no shipping. Make sure pressure is near 20

• @CarvingUphillAVL I think you're right that low tire pressure is probably why @BallewBoard's tire got torn up, but 20psi is a bit high and makes for a pretty stiff riding experience. Below 10psi was definitely too low, but somewhere in between those is good.

For a rider of average weight (150-180lbs), around 15psi is generally agreed to be the best pressure for a smooth ride without sacrificing the tire or battery life.

• @sonny123 What exactly did the you ask the tire shop to do? Do they have a machine that pries the tire off the center bearing?

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.