Backup Battery

• I am tired of running out of battery far from home. I now carry a lock with me so when I do, I can lock it up, so I don't have to lug the damn thing, and come back by car to pick up. I am beginning to wonder about using a battery such as the one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-20ah-LiFePO4-Battery-5A-Charger-BMS-Powerful-Rechargeable-E-Bike-USE-1000W-/171767698018?hash=item27fe271262:g:5K4AAOSwNKVXMZPG

and plugging it into the charging jack, in parallel, to provide a backup source of power. I cannot think of any reason it should not work. Any ideas? This battery is HUGE at 1000w, and 500w and 1500w versions are available, and the voltage is correct. They are the same type of LiFePO4 battery. Any ideas from a techie or even better from FM tech folks! Why not offer a plug in battery like this as an option? Am I missing something?

• I wish there was removable batteries so you could always have an extra one. That's what they are doing for the new boosted board which is a pretty smart idea. But I am wondering how much would FM even sell an extra battery for

• @Sailingmuffin Me too. I would keep an extra one in my backpack when I was out riding and have 2 extras in the car.

• @thegreck yeah. I'm guessing they would be sold for like 200 or 400 at most

• What do you mean that the voltage is correct, it says 48v and the onewheel is 56v??

• When Future Motion sent out the email regarding a survey, they had a question regarding what we would like to see improved upon on future versions of the OneWheel. One of those options was a replaceable battery. That is of top priority for me to have in future revisions of the board, and I hope Future Motion thinks so too. Many other companies in the electric board market are moving towards easily removable/swappable batteries, as that's important for a variety of reasons. Second on my list of importance is to lower the overall weight of the board significantly on the next version. With those two aspects, I'd be extra happy with ownership. I love it already, but those changes would take things to a whole new level. I can easily live with the current range as long as the quick charge ability is maintained, and the fact of having a swappable battery.

Further into the future as technology advances, it would incredible to see virtually all aspects improved such as the lower overall weight, increased range from either a larger capacity battery and/or different battery chemistry, maintain quick charge ability, larger pressure sensors, easily removable/swappable batterie(s), etc.

• I have heard the voltage being thrown around as being 56v, but the tech specs are: Onewheel Technical Specification
    Motor: 500W transverse flux hub
    Battery: Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) 48V
    Sensors: Solid State MEMS 6-DOF
    Tire: 11.5×6.5-6 Vega
    Max lean angle: >30 degrees
    Top speed: 15 MPH
    Typical range: 6-7 miles
    Recharge time: 20 mins (ultra charger)
    Dimensions: 9×11.5×30 (in)
    Weight: 25 lb

Perhaps the charger charges at 56v? Not certain, but FW says 48v. I will test it tonight to see what it reads from the charging jack.

• @Count did you ever get a chance to check that?

• I can't pull a voltage from the charging jack. That means there is no possibility of connecting a secondary batter there. I took the bold step of dis-assembling the battery assembly from the onewheel. it is a modular battery encased in plastic and aluminum. it weighs just under 5 pounds for the entire module with cable. I could probably remove and replace the battery pack in under 15 minutes, but not in an "on the road" situation. There is one large connector plug that runs from the battery module. To remove it requires removing a few frame pieces, but nothing tough. There are 13 wires coming from the battery module cable, suggesting there is circuitry in the battery module as well. Frankly, it should not be that hard to re-engineer the system such that an unpluggable-replacable battery module could easily be developed such that new, fresh batteries could be created. I have not decided if I am going to open the battery module. Doing so voids the warrantee. However, logic tells me there should be a simple way to supplement a second battery into the system, by inserting a battery in parallel with the current battery. I have photos, and will upload soon.

• @Count Cool waiting eagerly to see that :D

• @Count Supra excited to see those pics bro!

• If I know Im gonna ride for a long period of time Ill just bring the charger with me and let it charge at the nearest spot to plug

• @juts That plan only works if there IS a spot to plug it in. Having several portable recharges on you when you're camping in the desert or out on a mountain hiking trail would be key.

• I've done it on my E-Go electric skateboard.
    Could've added a second battery in parallel for double range,
    instead I just rewired so I can unplug from main battery and plug into additional pack with higher AH.

There are way to do it on the OW.

• @thegreck thats true. Usually where I ride my OW to does have a plug in so i just use it there.

• I ride almost exclusively on the beach. No random outlets along the way, thus my desire to develop a backup battery system I made good progress last night. I completely extracted the battery. This thing is well built! My original idea of using the charging port definitely will not work as a connection point for a backup battery. The battery reads 54.4v fully charged. This is baffling, as FM does say it is 48v and charger says 58v. The actual battery pack is composed of 4 12.8v battery packs (16 cells total) in serial which are labeled as being Li Ion (not LiFePo4 as they advertise). Perhaps they are the same thing, I'm not certain, and am just reporting what I see from the inside. Battery pack has a 3rd party part #266504S12 which I googled and came up with nothing. Here is a photo of the battery pack and cable: ![0_1464573825841_100_1894.JPG](Uploading 100%)

• apparently I don't know how to post photos. Any suggestions?

• Until I figure out how to post photos, I am going to make a NiCad battery pack to try as a test plug in backup battery pack. It should cost me below $50, as opposed to buying a $400 LiFePo4 pack only to find my idea does not work. I plan to run a pair of battery cables from inside the battery compartment through a cable gland similar to the one used by FM for the other cables which exit the sealed battery compartment. There is a perfect place for it opposite the location where their cable gland is, where the existing cable exits the battery compartment. From there I will be able to disconnect the stock battery, using the same connector types as they use, and connect my battery pack. IF that works, then I will refine it to perhaps an A/B switch which can switch between the battery packs, and/or ultimately contemplate connecting them both in parallel, making no battery switch necessary. Along the way I will be interested in observing how the iphone app reacts with my new battery connected.

• @Count said in Backup Battery:

The actual battery pack is composed of 4 12.8v battery packs ... labeled as being Li Ion (not LiFePo4 as they advertise). Perhaps they are the same thing, I'm not certain

They are absolutely not the same thing! There are a mulititude of reasons that make LiFePo4 batteries far superior to Lithium Ion batteries, and advertising them as such would be pretty bad. So if these are indeed NOT LiFePo4, you've stumbled upon something pretty big. Are you sure that's what it says?

Just the way they behave -- such as quick charging time, long life (in terms of how many times it can be charged before it starts to lose capacity), they stay cool while charging and discharging, they discharge at an equal rate all the way up until the end of each charge, etc -- make it difficult for me to believe that they're not the battery type Future Motion claims they are.

• All I can tell you is what is on the sticker on the battery pack. The pack is 16- 2.5" green cells, shrink wrapped in a blue wrapping. On the pack is a sticker which reads:

Li Ion Battery
    12.8V 6.9Ah 88.32Wh
    Part No. 266504S12
    Made in China

I will try to remove some of the blue shrink wrap to reveal what is actually written on the individual green cells.

• The individual green cells are double wrapped in reinforced strapping tape, and then blue shrink wrap. I am not willing to dissect the pack further to identify the cells at this stage as I am afraid I may damage it. Perhaps FM monitors these posts and will be willing to respond???

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.