Trotter (OW knockoff) Video

• Trotter OW Knockoff Promo Video

Stumbled upon this video while watching some of the vidoes from some of you guys on here. In the end, I have to say that the Trotters can only help OW and FM. They look more unstable for some reason. They also look very cheaply made, which, while it will make the Trotters more affordable, might account for unsteadiness. The video in question has people who don't look like they're very skilled at riding the boards, but it could again be because the Trotter looks to ahve some stability issues. I also don't like the plastic look of the deck, and if the rails are made of thin-looking aluminum, that's got to be a bad thing for people who push their boards to the limit and could bend them. Interested to see what you guys think. This video is the first one I've seen of the Trotter being ridden, and obviously, I was not impressed.

• The last few seconds of the video have a guy jumping down 3 stairs.
    I'd be curious to see what happens after they cut it. Did he fall off, or did the board cave in?!

• It does look like a cheap knock off for sure. The footpads look like they are plastic from the shine. I honestly dont care who made the concept first because right now OW has proven to be very well built. At least with the halo board they added their own spin on it. These guys took a page right from OW.

• Painful to watch! The riders aren't even very skilled, it looks like the camera man just grabbed up whoever was walking by and handed them a Trotter and filmed them riding for the first time. It was embarrassing to watch that guy try to go down the hill, too. It's like they were trying to recreate the original Onewheel Kickstarter video shot for shot using a piece of sh*t that can barely move in grass. Almost satirical.

Also, did you notice every scene is either slowed down or sped up? Clearly there's a speed issue with these things, because even the sped up footage is slow as hell.

And was it necessary to use a song with the n-word ever 10 seconds over the top of a bunch of goofy white people and Asians? Plus, it was copyrighted, so there were popup ads throughout the entire video.

And @p3eps, judging by where their body was in relation to the board when they hit the ground, my guess is they landed on their ass.

• It's make me think of:
    What's the difference between a wild stallion and a circus pony? LOL

• I discovered a friend of mine has a Trotter, and I was able to check it out briefly, but didn't get a chance to ride it yet (next time). I'm not going to replace my OW with it, but initial inspection overall seems positive despite the fact that it clearly is a ripoff of OW (or is it the other way around? ;-). It is only slightly heavier, but still seems solid. Double the range, half the price, but no app and I'm not sure what you do for service or warranty. One distinct difference is that it has a foot switch on both footpads, so starting out, you have to lean more forward upon setting your front foot or you will take off in reverse. I will have to retrain my brain before trying it out. No battery fires so far lol.

• @lieutenantglorp Can you even buy those things legally in the US? I tried googling it, but just got a bunch of links to the article about when their booth got shut down at CES. Wanted to see if your "twice the range" comment had any merit, because from what I've heard, it goes half as fast, which technically would give it twice the range, but in my eyes just makes it pretty lame.

• I thought the music was really Professional lulz

• Yea they chose the worst song on the planet.. hate them already.

• @lieutenantglorp Looks like it goes 12mph vs 15-20mph, and takes 2 hours to charge vs 20 mins.

That last bit is a pretty big deal, because with a 20-min charge time, you can easily ride all day and just charge while you break for a snack. Two hours is long enough to watch a movie while you charge.

• @thegreck

I agree and I don't think anyone having experienced the OW would prefer this unless initial budget was the only factor, or they actually needed double the range (continuous). It is interesting to see and compare though.

• Trotter, meh. Looks like a plastic toy knock-off version of Onewheel, which in my opinion looks amazing and has performance to match. Never tried it and never will, there is no substitute to a real Onewheel.

• @lieutenantglorp said in Trotter (OW knockoff) Video:

... It is only slightly heavier, but still seems solid. Double the range...

When looking at the linked specs, it doesn't really tell how heavy it is, but the package says 18kg. Compared to the OW 11kg that's quite a lot.
    You'd think that the battery would be a lot bigger, but it's only about 211kWh. What was the OW again ~180?
    I probably would trade some weight for range tho, but rather as an external pack.
    Yet to find any really good solutions to that problem that will ship to sweden...

• Alot of people don't know that those Chinese knockoff wheels have used and or recycled batteries.. they last a few months and that's it..

• How did FM not patent this idea!?

• @kelp they did.. Chinese don't respect patent laws

• @lieutenantglorp Hello, did you get a chance to ride the Trotter? I'm curious to hear about direct OW comparisons and real world tests.

Does your friend still use theirs?

• @MrCamel Yes, I did finally get a chance a couple weeks ago. It definitely is more challenging and awkward to get going compared to the OW (SCARY at first!) Since both footpads are switched, the moment you set your front foot you are off and running, instead of balance board until coming to level like the OW. It feels like an extreme version of elevated on the OW when starting out. Once you come to level and start riding along, I guess it's a similar experience except it's very jerky between accelerating/ not accelerating. Not sure if they all ride like this or something was out of adjustment. The wheel diameter seems a little smaller though which helps starting out since the board angle is not as steep. Overall, it gets the job done, but IMO you definitely get what you pay for. The OW is expectedly overpriced since not at mass production level and made in the USA. I can understand the attraction to paying half for a similar experience, but the Trotter as expected, clearly isn't as good. If and when the OW price comes down to the Segway miniPRO price range, it would be a no brainer to choose the OW over anything similar.

• @lieutenantglorp

For couple hundred $ more, you can pick up a slightly used one.

• Looks slow and bulky. And it's gotta be pretty darn bulky to look bigger than the OW... we all love our OW, but let's face it, the thing is not what you'd call "sleek"

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.