LOCK UP @ HIGH SPEEDS - NOSE DIP

• Sorry to post this but I feel the whole community needs to talk about the Nose dipping phase after the push back phase.

I notice it when I ride past the push back phase, once I cross the threshold and begin to accelerate the nose will begin to dip instead of elevate. This has resulted in crashes and baffled me until I began to master it. Its a hard thing to notice once you hit the ground but I discovered and am hoping I am not the only one.

I need other people to confirm this aspect as many people seem to be confusing it with "lock up / cut out/ ect"

Its not either of those and Ill explain why.

At 12 mph your nose should be elevated right before you cross into the push back phase.

Thus your weight is on the nose.

The nose will instantly dip after the push back phase. If your weight is on the nose, the dip is much more violent and the dip is almost undetectable until its too late. It results in an instant crash with no explanation.

It results in an instant crash.

I can always feel the nose dipping at speeds beyond the push back, just put more weight on the back foot instead, but not all of it - and you can go even faster and not crash.

If you know what I am saying please confirm.

• Yep. I think there are some variances on the exact MPH because of weight, height (i.e. things that define torque required from the motor to keep you balanced). But the order of events is right on.

Main source of fails for me was shifting weight to quickly at the limit. Has been many, many months since a nose down, roll out except on grass or beach where where I'm happy to ride at the limit.

• @Seekwence Yes, I've experienced this a few times and was able to pull out of it after the nose hit the ground.

I guess when I read the previous thread about the motor cutting out after it reaches max speed, I was just taking it at face value because I've never pushed past max speed. But thinking about it, it's possible that if you do, the motor doesn't actually cut out, but is probably just the fact that the nose hits the ground that makes people think the motor comes to a dead stop.

A lot of riders don't realize how much of their "balance" when they're leaning forward is completely dependent on the motor's ability to out run them. Once it can't, their forward momentum turns directly downward into the ground, like being on a see-saw and having your buddy jump off the other end.

• @thegreck Exactly, cause I remember the first thing I thought when I fell during this situation was "Why did it do that to me? Is it broken?" Then one time I caught it, then I caught it again and again and now its second nature.

• Ive had it happen once to me a few days ago. I was curious about what actually happened because I tried leveling out and it keep putting the nose down. Luckily I was able to ride it out without eating it.

• @juts said in LOCK UP @ HIGH SPEEDS - NOSE DIP:

Ive had it happen once to me a few days ago. I was curious about what actually happened because I tried leveling out and it keep putting the nose down. Luckily I was able to ride it out without eating it.

Yeah, when you get pushback (nose goes up), it's trying to tell you to slow down because you're nearing the end of the motor's ability to balance you. So by leveling it, you're actually speeding up instead of slowing down, which can end up in a nosedive if you're not careful. Best thing to do (which isn't really very intuitive) is to just sit tight and allow the nose to slowly level out on it's own as the board slows itself.

• @Seekwence, sounds like you are figuring it out. This topic continues to come up again and again as new riders NOSE DIP and have to figure it out for themselves. Seems like this is something that cannot be taught through instruction but rather experience.

• @Franky definitely, figuring out how to explain it - even to my friends - is nearly impossible

• @thegreck
    I think this is what happened to me. Here I thought it was me leaning forward too much. The problem I have is I either run out of runway or panic and bail because I dont want to get in the path of a car. How do you get it to slow down if you level and it speeds up like you said? How do you stop the rapid acceleration? I would like to have a killswitch or something like a deadmans trigger built into it.

• @wheeler said in LOCK UP @ HIGH SPEEDS - NOSE DIP:

How do you stop the rapid acceleration?

This acceleration occurs after you push past the push back phase and the nose switches from elevated to nose dip. The only way to stop is to aggressively lean on your back foot. Just put a lot of weight on it and the board will bring you to a stop, but the stop is not instant. - it will take a few feet to stop

• @wheeler When the nose goes up, it's letting you know that it's about to start slowing down. The speed you're feeling is how it's able to make the nose go up in the first place (by shifting your body weight back). Just hang tight and let it slow down on its own. It takes a second, because it doesn't want to catch you off guard (if it were to just slow down without the initial nose-up warning, you would instantly fall on your face).

And you shouldn't have to aggressively put the tail down as @Seekwence stated. The slowdown occurs on its own, it just takes a second. First comes the pushback (speed up/nose up) warning, then it'll slow down.

• @wheeler And if all you're feeling is a speed-up -- and not a nose-up -- during pushback, then you ARE leaning forward too much, and the Onewheel isn't able to shift your weight back when it speeds up.

Try to keep your body weight centered over the wheel and tilt the deck with your legs. This makes it much easier for the board to keep you from nosediving or speeding out of control during pushback.

• @thegreck yea thats what I ended up doing. Took like 5 min for it to do and I was coming to shady road so luckily I survived

• There is another thread on this same subject here.

• I've now had 3 times where the board dipped at a decent speed with no warning. I don't think I'm reaching the full speed though? I've been catapulted off the board with my feet left behind me and no choice but to take it right on the hips and shoulder. I ended up getting special GForce pads, but they don't protect from neck whiplash and arm and shoulder scrapping.

Now I'm selling the One Wheel as I am just tired of being hurt all the time and having scrapes. I love it, but in my opinion this just makes it too dangerous for an old guy like me. I do have a suggestion to Onewheel. What if there were two smaller little wheels on the Bumpers, so that in this situation the board wouldn't just stop dead? Then the rider would have the opportunity to try and have a more controlled skid to a stop? Just a suggestion.

• @autobio

What speed are we talking about?

I had the same concern when I got mine.
    But then I decided to keep it and go slow.
    It's been the best thing this Summer..

My top speed is no more than 9mph and I don't care for off road riding.
    Just smooth cruising around does it for me.
    At 50, it's more then I can ask for after a fair amount of injuries over the years.

• @sonny123 I wonder how many of us will take your same tact. I have to do something different after this crash I had three days ago. I've been out of commission since Sunday, but I'm finally starting to resume normal life. I'm definitely not getting rid of my OWs but I think I'll simply go slower. I will suggest this: top speed with a tire at 20 psi on an unfamiliar sidewalk is a recipe for disaster.

• @autobio
    When the motor whines back off. The tail will droop slightly rearwards too. I use these tips in Elevated mode as well as the staying centered tip mentioned above. I finally got tired of the pronounced pushback in Classic at 10 mph. Elevated is a speedier version of Classic. When the back of the board tilts down you just bend your front knee slightly while staying centered so you don't lean forward too much. If you do happen to lose contact with the sensor its better to be leaning back or centered over the board.

• @autobio don't give up! I noticed that you just joined the forum before posting this. There's a lot of good info here to help you learn how to enjoy the OneWheel safely. You have to remember that this toy is not only new to you, it's new to the world. Imagine you were one of the first to ever attempt downhill skiing years ago. Fun fun fun crash. Fun fun fun crash. It took time for people to learn how to master, they didn't just zip down thru the mogals with tight turns and parallel skis. If you're patient enough to get good at low speeds and work your way up, you'll be just fine. While learning and turning at low speeds for several days (or even weeks), concentrate on keeping your weight over the wheel. If your head and shoulders are leaning forward, you're bound to go down. Best way to stay centered is to keep your knees bent. Don't waste your time with classic mode, ride either extreme or elevated. Elevated gives you more clearance upfront and forces knee bend, makes it much harder to nosedive (but not impossible). Riding switch (backwards) can also give you a better sense of how to stay centered. Since it's less comfortable, you're less likely to lean your weight too far forward. DONT GIVE UP!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.