Front foot riding up when I accelerate on straightaways

• Hey guys, stoked to be part of the Onewheel community as of yesterday. I've been having some issues getting centered while riding straighaways. At slow speeds, I'm able to stay centered on the board but when I start to accelerate on straighaways I start leaning back and the front the board starts tipping up as I ride. Any tips to prevent that from happening? Thanks!

• @skynine Switch to Extreme Shaping and never use Classic again.

That nose-up thing is called "pushback," and it's the Onewheel's way of telling you to slow down. In Classic (beginner's mode) it happens at around 5mph, and people have had accidents when they're not expecting it. In Extreme, it happens at 15mph, which is nearing top speed, but you shouldn't go that fast until you've been riding a while.

• Download and install the app, connect it to the board and switch to Extreme mode as soon as possible. Get a feel for riding at 10mph or less and slowly work your way up to higher speeds.

• @Zero

Yep, or turn it on the side with the turn on button up.
    Turn it on. Light will flash, I think 2 for classic.
    Press the sensor, and it'll move to extreme which is 3 lights.
    Elevated is 4.
    Turn off OW.
    And you're on extreme.

• and if you keep your pressure on the front foot during push back you will bypass "max speed" and continue gaining speed up 22mph according to some users. I have neared that speed myself.

Be super careful when bypassing push back as the nose will dip immediately during that phase and can cause a nose dive.

• Oh wow I didn't realize how early the pushback kicked in when you're in classic mode. No wonder I ate pavement. Back to extreme mode.... ironically, easier and safer to ride in!

• Extremely easier to ride in extreme mode for sure! Just keep aware for pushback at the top speed. I have not felt it yet but keep pushing a bit faster each ride.

• @1woman1wheel

You ate it once already? Glad you're okay.
    Welcome to the OW family. ;)

• @sonny123 Haha thanks. I know, it didn't take me long. Did I mention I'm so uncoordinated that people think I'm drunk when I'm sober? It took me most of a season on a snowboard to graduate from the bunny trail...

All I want now is to get back on the horse, but I've got some pretty serious road rash and bruising that's making it hard to walk, let alone ride. Hopefully tomorrow...

• @1woman1wheel

Yesterday, a guy told me I'm doing much better than the day before and I've been riding for 2 months.
    I was like, wow that's encouraging...

The best part about OW is that it can be tremendously enjoyed even at low speed and cruising around. And by doing just that, you get more and more familiar with it.

• @sonny123 Seriously, that's the best way to learn. Being able to control the Onewheel at really low speeds is key.

• @1woman1wheel said in Front foot riding up when I accelerate on straightaways:

Oh wow I didn't realize how early the pushback kicked in when you're in classic mode. No wonder I ate pavement. Back to extreme mode.... ironically, easier and safer to ride in!

My husband switched to classic without me knowing, and I couldn't believe how much pushback I was getting! It made sense once I found out what he'd done... no more classic allowed!! I hope you heal quickly; I've got all kinds of bumps and bruises on my shins, but so far my only "flying" experience was on the grass.

• Thanks @westcoastr! Trying. Work is keeping me too busy for optimal healing, but I'll be off deadline tomorrow... maybe even try a little ride on the grass

• @westcoastr said in Front foot riding up when I accelerate on straightaways:

My husband switched to classic without me knowing

That's like cutting the brake line! Watch out for that guy! (Just kidding!)

• @thegreck He had a big wipeout after that. Bwahaha!

• The first week I really concentrated on controlling the ow at slow speeds just learning to control the board. Really it's all about balance, better you get at balance better you are at the board... I didn't wipe until I was pushing through the pushback on purpose trying to push the top speed like an idiot. :)

• Fortunately, I got to discover what pushback feels like while going up a grassy hill at a pretty low speed because my battery was about to run out. So now I know what it feels like!

I also know what it feels like to have to carry upwards of 25 pounds back from the far end of an orchard ;-_-

• honestly the way ive gotten used to mines (Well i'm still in training) is by riding in between parked cars. i started riding in the parking lot since i didnt want to potentially fall in front of my bldg i went to full lot and rode around between them doing my best to not hit one. worked for me now i'm rocking extreme in between the cars and slowly getting better with extreme on the roads at higher speeds

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.