Looking for good off road videos, (uphill / dirt)

• Hey guys,

I really want <need> to see some good off road / dirt / trail videos / uphill.

A good example would be the "World is your playground" video.... from the 0:48 second 1:10... but trying to go up those hills instead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNqOU4jx62I

I'm interested in real videos, something showing limitations in dirt, how it behaves when you try to go up dirt hills that are too steep. Something that shows real expectations of what it can do going uphill off road.

I want to see people trying to go up dirt hills / difficult uphill terrain, seeing them spin out? stall? simply not be able to stay on the board going up a dirt hill, etc.

In short, I want to see people pushing the limits of what it can do off road, hill climbing, crossing small logs, etc. I'm not looking for high quality, just real people trying this stuff.

I've got a real good feel for how it can handle just about everything else... really want to order, but I would like to see more footage demonstrating off road limitations.

Thanks!

J.R.

• @AshWilliams I've seen videos posted on here of people going up hills, you just have to search them out. But really, the only limitations are your own. You just have to learn how to ride it in different terrain, but the board itself can handle just about anything. It handles hills fine, even uphill. If you're riding hills that are so steep that you risk hitting the nose of the board on the ground (remember, the deck is trying to stay level) then you can switch it to Elevated mode, which raises the nose a bit.

Don't think about it anymore, just buy it. Your only regret will be the time you wasted thinking about it.

• This post is deleted!

• @AshWilliams Here's some good examples of @RiverShred and his buds (some of the best Onewheelers out there) proving there really aren't any limitations to what it can do off-road. All you need is practice:
    https://youtu.be/hrWe-_SAHw4
    https://youtu.be/QUtMkdbJmI4
    https://youtu.be/_s1HeteFYYs
    https://youtu.be/5OHcRtDghXI
    https://youtu.be/k3ChFBHFcJ8

• I don't have a video, but I went on a fairly crazy dirt/Forrest trail yesterday. Tree roots, hills, wooden bridges, rocks loose mulch/dirt cliffs waterfalls streams/creek/river wet and dry surfaces.

Handled just fine.

Of course, understand the limitations, I was carving and making some incredibly sharp turns to avoid roots and things I was uncertain about. And riding with extreme caution.

I also didn't care to try going over the 1-2 inch rise of one of the wooden bridges on a loose mulch to wood transition on a cliff....so hopped off for a second and got back on.

Be smart about how you ride.

Knowing your own limitations and riding safe is obviously dependent on the rider.
    The board self balances, but in extreme circumstances you need to also have good balance and control to help the board do its thing.

General riding in open flat terrains of all types takes minimal skill, but to ride through crowds of people or rough terrain the skill cap is very high I think. Very possible, but know your own limitations as well as the board.

I would not suggest buying a onewheel purely for trail or off-road type of riding....

• @thegreck Yeah, Michael Tavares's videos represent the kind of riding / environments I'm most interested in. I live in WV on 50 acres... we have some nice paved roads too, I just prefer technical stuff. I could spend all day trying to navigate one interesting feature.

These guys made a nice video, I wish they had spent more time on the RC track (1:38 mark). On a side note, I think the camera came with the 5.0 Mustang... :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiBvMnneWFU

I've just about made up my mind, I've been wanting a good electric (or gas) board for YEARS. This is the most elegant / refined design I've seen.

Thanks guys, if you come across anything else let me know. I'll probably pull the trigger on it tonight or tomorrow.

J.R.

• @AshWilliams I think you definitely made the right choice :-)

I threw up a (much too long) video of one of my trail rides a couple of months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZuIxUaM2g

Could need an edit with some garden shears, but I trust you to skip the boring parts.

One of my favorite trails… Onewheel handles it very well.

• @madsb Thanks, that was a good <unedited> video, I wouldn't change it :-) The terrain (first half or so) was remarkably similar to our property here in WV.

• I placed the order earlier this evening. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help / feedback!

• @AshWilliams we can't wait to hear how it goes, but we also already know...Best decision you've made all year! Congrats! If you've got property out there, probably won't be long til you buy #2. Start slow, keep combing through the forum for valuable tips, and have a blast man! It's a great time to be alive!!!

Ps...do us all a favor and switch it to extreme mode before you even step a foot on it. You'll thank us later.

Jordo

• You are seriously gonna love it. Enjoy!!

• I've skated (mostly ramp), snowboarded, surfed (1 week a year), etc... all my life, this is just another way to keep myself on a board :-)

I only discovered the OneWheel Sunday night (Adam Savage had one on MythBusters). If I do nothing else with it other than cruise around the "compound" here it'll be well worth it. Right now I run around on a side by side or a CR250... at a minimum it'll become my new default mode of transportation :-)

@jordo Got the note on extreme mode!

• I got my OneWheel about 2 weeks ago. I had about 2 days to ride it before vacation, rode it <some> while at the beach, and have been riding it non-stop since we got back this weekend.

I'm very happy with it, haven't had it off road much (nothing but rain since I got it).... so most of my riding has been gravel roads with nice hills. Per recommendations here I started off with it in extreme mode, somewhat surprisingly I got on it the first time, road around the yard, turned, went over some nice humps, never fell off or lost balance. It feels really natural coming from a skating (ramp) background. That said, later in the day I was carving off a dirt hump / lip and went down hard into gravel.

I've already found some interesting tricks... probably already known, but I wanted something between extreme and elevated mode. So when I turn it on, I put it on level ground with a 3/4" block under the wheel. With it in extreme mode this puts the ride position somewhere between extreme and elevated. I'm not sure what logic they use, if it re-calibrates occasionally, etc... but this seems to work well.

I'll post more later, but wanted to share a little and thank you guys again for the tips. People who skate / surf / snowboard really should try one of these. Hopefully the prices will come down and give more people an opportunity to get one.

0_1471481374216_IMG_2584.jpg
    0_1471481393441_IMG_2585.jpg

• @AshWilliams Interesting! I've not heard of anyone doing that trick before. I know that if you try to turn it on when it's not on the ground, you'll get an error... but that's usually when people are holding it vertically, not when it's just at a slightly different angle.

• @thegreck

It occurred to me to try it a few hours after I got it. I was sitting in my workshop taking a break looking at how it rested on the tail. I thought.. OK, they are calibrating their (throttle profile/ shaping) based on that angle and assuming it's on level ground when powered on. I grabbed a scrap board, put it under the wheel, and turned it on. It was in extreme mode and gave me a ride closer to elevated. I got a thinner board, tried it, and it was just right.

** I have not thoroughly tested the concept yet **... I guess it's possible they occasionally re-calibrate when it's in a resting position with the switch on... but my gut feel is it would be unsafe for them to do this. Re calibrating if it came to rest on a steep incline could result in an extremely strange throttle profile.

So far though I haven't noticed it re-calibrate, it seems to hold the calibration / throttle profile until I power it down.

If it's not something that is known I'll try to do a thread on it tonight to share my results. For those "wishing" for a broader choice of shapes, it seems to provide whatever you want. That said, it should be done with caution. It's possible you could create a throttle profile that gives you little to no brake.

• @AshWilliams Brilliant, dude!

• @AshWilliams Now I'm thinking I might try the reverse, and lift the back a few inches. I tend to ride right on the cusp of pushback, so I'm always fighting to keep the board level. This might do it.

Or it'll make me nosedive, one or the other.

• @thegreck Proceed with caution on a comfortable flat area before you go all out. I'll try to do the write-up tonight, but it's worth noting that <I think> you may have to step onto the board and take off from the calibration position. In other words, if you turn it on with it raised up on something, then move it over to flat ground before taking off... you'll see no difference. It seems like it doesn't necessarily define level when you turn the switch on, but when you first step on and pivot up to take off. A bit confusing to explain, but I'll try to do something detailed this evening. Again, early results / experiences... so ymmv. One of their developers could tell us right away, but probably not in their interest to give details for this particular use.

• @AshWilliams Got it, thanks.

• @AshWilliams I am going to give this a try. Very interesting concept of leveling the OW from a lower grade than expected.

• OK, so when I got home this evening I setup a camera and was going to do a short overview with some photos. I setup in my shop on level floor with the camera running and did several different calibrations (all in Extreme Mode). It's difficult to measure, but watching the video I could not see a convincing difference in ride profiles. I was setting up fairly exaggerated scenarios in hopes of clearly illustrating how it works... but in doing so I'm no longer convinced it works, or if it does work is as easy to duplicate as I thought.

Let me know what you guys see when you try it.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.