Safety equipment? Body Armor?

• Do any of you guys have any recommendations. Im 35 overweight and run my own one man company. I can't afford to get hurt. Right now Im pretty cautious as i train on the board, but falling is inevetible. I have no previous skateboard experience. Just seeing if you guys wear any tailbone/spinal protection.
    thanks everyone

• Most use helmet and wrist guards.
    Some use knee pads as well.
    Body armor is an overkill in my opinion.

Practice slowly is key.
    Slow speed and carving, mounting/dismounting and standing still.
    It will come.

• thanks for the input

• I would have liked wearing elbow pads during my last crash...i think that elbows are the first body part touching the ground....15 days after my crash, I'm not doing a radiography because my elbow still moves but I think I must have a little microfracture....it still hurt me strong :(

• In the beginning, besides helmet and wrist guards, I wore G-form elbow and knee protectors and impact shorts - all invisible under clothing. Helped me get comfortable on the Onewheel without worrying if I'd hurt myself too much if crashing. Now I seldomly wear the impact shorts. Knee and elbow protection only in skate parks and if I'm gunning it on trails. ALWAYS helmet and usually also wrist guards.

• @madsb how were the gform? they look so thin.... Do they give enough protection? elbow pads?

• @fabuz ouch I hope it heals fast man.

• I wear jeans, helmet, wristguards, elbow and knee pads. Used to only wear a helmet and paid for it dearly after some wipeouts- huge open wound on lower leg, gash on right inner arm and elbow and sore palms. Always the same injuries in the same spots. Although I don't go down much any more, I don't take any chances and the pads are key during a wipe. I see some OWs riding really mellow- not pushing the board, not gunning for top speed, just a mellow cruise. For that type of riding you may be fine with just helmet and maybe wristguards. But if you're pushing hard, and you have a family and you run a business, you gotta protect yourself. Plus my family is not a fan of OW. They think the board itself is cool, but they hate the fact that I'm always taking off to do a ride (without them). At least wearing pads spares me an earache about how reckless I am.

• I always wear helmet and wirst guards, when I'm off road I wear knee pads and butt protection.

I use this all the time for snowboarding and onewheeling and has saved my ass numerous times. Better to be safe, then bruised and scratched up or broken.

[Impact Shorts](Hillbilly Impact Shorts, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CSYNZW/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_7hoMxbY45VV0H)

• Wear what you feel you need to wear to be safe. And then wear something extra for good measure.

Personally, I don't use any protective gear. That's what I feel safe and comfortable with....so by my own argument above I should at least wear a helmet....Have I fallen? Of course. But I also know how to control my fall and usually I'm 100% expecting/prepared for the fall.

• @Tylermon said in Safety equipment? Body Armor?:

Wear what you feel you need to wear to be safe. And then wear something extra for good measure.

Personally, I don't use any protective gear. That's what I feel safe and comfortable with....so by my own argument above I should at least wear a helmet....Have I fallen? Of course. But I also know how to control my fall and usually I'm 100% expecting/prepared for the fall.

Until you fall unexpectedly and break something..lol.. The problem with wearing protection is you'll actually push yourself more, not less. Not wearing protection is well.. dumb..

• @parrothd agree with your comment that you push harder when wearing pads- I know I do because I'm not worried about falling.

• So, at the beginning. I wore helmet wrist guards, knee pads.
    I have also had a back fusion so I have a cool hard plastic back brace which really took all the impact out of my back when I wiped... Which really weren't bad wipes, small ones, and controlled falls, but, almost no real impact cause of the back thing... Handy. Also, my ankles were weak as shit, so I wore ankle supports.

Now I ride barefoot and no helmet :) but, not crazy....
    If I am going to ride off road, I or near moving cars or near new terrain I'd probably grab a helmet and wrist guards and shoes for sure. It's all about balance. You have to develop the muscles that allow you to control the board. I am 42, fat 220 and never skated or snowboarded, and basically disabled. With major back issues. Everyone goes through developing the muscles on the bottom of their feet... This will burn... But that controls heal toe. Develop your balance... Learn where the pushback is and don't push past it or you will cause the board to fail and wipe... I recommend getting dr. Shoels gel inserts for your shoes it helps with the foot burning. Muscles, also eat a banana, for the muscle spams in your feet and legs... And if you have extra cash... And this is the subject of controversy in the better board shoes thread, my personal recommendation for the most comfortable and most controlled ride is addidas Springblades. :) welcome aboard, enjoy the ride... You will be flying around like its nothing in no time

• @Aaron-Broward-FL
    great info man. one thing that i think has he;per me is a couple months before i got my one wheel i had purchased a revolution swell balance board. So i was able to go through all the ankle stuff and foot burning with that in a controlled environment. Im in the same boat i never did any board sports until this. Im just trying to be as safe as possible. thanks for all your input.

• @itwire said in Safety equipment? Body Armor?:

@madsb how were the gform? they look so thin.... Do they give enough protection? elbow pads?

The Gform harden at impact. They're super comfortable but a bit pricy. Also you look less dorky than you do with standard knee and elbow pads, if you care about that stuff.

• @madsb nice thanks, i may give them a shot

• @itwire nope, this is different, I used thOse balance boards when I was a kid juggling. The board does that work for you, that board will help you from over accelerating....

The burn comes from controlling heal toe steering it's literally the sole of your foot, unless your doing ankle raises no one exercises that muscle... :)

• I'm pretty much just like you. 35, overweight, etc. I went down hard this weekend. I had a bicycle helmet and wrist guards on. My left elbow and left knee are all road rashed!! It doesn't feel good. Make sure you take it out of Classic mode. I put my OW into extreme after all the recommendations from this forum. On my way home tonight I stopped by McGills skate shop. I purchased knee pads elbow pads and a full skate helmet (goes all the way around the ears). I feel safe now.

• I use impact shorts when going off road. Hit a dip once goin full speed which immediately stopped my board and I got tossed onto my side and hip. It should have hurt pretty bad but didnt really feel much and wasnt injured.

• @SC720 that happened to me last month. I was playing around jumping off curbs, decided I should stop since I didn't have my full gear on.

Headed down the street I've gone many times, looked back for a second at a car then was flying in the air. I hit a small depression in the road and it launched my ass into the air and I landed on my hip. Thought I'd broken my hip as I rolled in pain for 5 minutes..

• Im stupid.. I havent taken a fall for 6 month.. So I keep "forgetting" the helmet, and all the rest of the protection I had never gets used.

Yes. Im stupid.
    Wear a helmet. :) but mostly, learn how the sensor works, make sure you have a good sole on your shoe that makes good contact with the board.. that will save you ALOT of falls. After I realised, and got my new shoes I never fall, and Ive ridden 250 km the last 3 weeks.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.