Starting in 2nd

• i am one who could use a selectable reworked throttle input graph for getting moving from 0 with less grip or on a slight incline--maybe limited speed until a moving speed is achieved--or a higher input resolution below a certain speed to allow for a bit of feathering the gas, with a pushback to reset the user for the adjusted graph.

it would be nice to toggle this low traction mode on to prevent false starts, and off when you wanna book it on blacktop.

has anybody else had some false starts in low traction environment?

• keep ridin it @mrb , you'll get the hang of it

• jordo: thanks for the encouraging words. it barely took me a moment to get the hang of it.

if i remember correctly, i was born with the board at my feet. it has taken me to infiniti and back. it is the alpha and omega.

• sometimes in a low grip condition the initial speed of the wheel, even with minimum throttle, is too much for the available drag at the contact patch making for a false start. the wheel will spin in place and the nose will bottom out. i'm talking about moving from stationary on saturated silt, wet leaves, glay, and the like. starting on an incline compounds the weight over grip.

this is a rare condition and usually a quick kick or hop to reposition the tire finds me the grip i need. if you can't get going uphill, go a different direction until you get moving and then float on to Valhalla. i shouldn't expect to be able to start riding up the side of a building from the second floor, but i bet i could make it to the roof if i built some momentum zooming around the block.

the wheel has to spin to balance the rider, and then again to get moving. on a nice grippy surface, it is good that this happens as fast as it does. on a low grip surface, i would appreciate limited initial wheel speed at the cost of initial acceleration. more input resolution from zero could also work at the risk of spoiling the simplicity of driving only one throttle graph. the working torque has to be considered, as too low an initial speed would bog down the motor. a faster polling interval on the balancing is nice but requires quicker corrections by the motor. these microsteps are absorbed by the rider but could break tension on a slippery surface just enough to make it impossible to get moving.

my board handles everything i throw at it. the tire is wide enough to haul ass uphill on grass, yet will slip when i need it to. when i am in a lateral skid, there is still enough tooth to maintain enough headspeed to pull out predictably.

each rider weighs differently and each riding surface has its own dynamics. i am curious if anybody else has ever had a false start because of low traction. i'm looking at you beach guy--don't leave me hanging trail rider.

• @mrb you should definitely take this up with the company that makes the board

• @mrb Yeah, maybe in the future they'll build in geo-tracking capabilities, so the board can tell if you're actually moving forward, not just spinning the wheel. As it is now, it's simply rotating the wheel faster based on how much the board is tilted. But when you're trying to get up a slick hill, sometimes the wheel spins out of control when you lose traction, which just causes you to fall off the front.

But if it could tell you weren't moving, it could keep the tire rotating, but at a lower speed to allow for better traction. Maybe even jitter the speed a bit for increased traction, like anti-lock brakes in reverse (not sure if any of this would work, but it's a thought).

• @mrb & @thegreck I like the concept of a dual mode drive (almost like a transmission). It would allow for a lower torque start then it could switch after a few seconds to the normal drive mode. The up hill on grass has been my main challenge if not going fast enough down hill for the approach. Maybe call it rough terrain mode?

• @thegreck and @LidPhones:

thanks for the good ideas. i think that modern on-chip accelerometers or gyroscopic sensors, like those i guess are in the Onewheel, can provide better information than a geolocator--like one of the motion control games for the Nintendo and Ios.

Onewheel shows different behaviour on its side--the pedal mode change. surely a modern gyro the size of a pin's head is more likely than a gravity switch. i know it doesn't give a rat's ass if it's upsidedown tho.

proximity sensors could help reconcile some other information that would allow for finer handling, pre-emptive braking, increased ground clearance. the issue is the time it takes to develop an algorithm with new inputs.

i guess there is still room for breakthroughs with this current hardware, but the Onewheel is rad just the way it is. i don't want to see it turn into a traction control turd like a modern Porsche or whatever.

the rub here is that in the Onewheel, the locomotive itself is a one-wheel traction control. some more control over this is all i'm asking--a few sliders with clear values--maybe the ability to save profiles-- a skimboard profile--a dry clay profile--tractor mode for pushing a cart--elevated? --always.

• hoo-aah! Al Pacino from Scent of a Woman wants some sliders--hooahhh

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.