Board ran away almost went through my house!

• Got the board yesterday, noticed sometimes when dismounting or just losing balance and falling, the wheel does not disengage and instead just keeps spinning. Sometimes it will stop, especially when falling "correctly" (i.e. letting the board roll onto its side when you roll/jump off), but if you fall off and the board stays anywhere close to an upright position, it does not detect that your foot is off and still keeps going.

Today my girlfriend was practicing in my front yard. She nosedived on a turn and fell off the board. The board chased her down, ripped into her ankle, hopped my small cement wall, and went straight into the side of my house before finally stopping. I was in disbelief. The edge of the wood piece on the top got completely chewed up also in the process =(

This scares the HELL out of me, as I do not have confidence to let anyone try riding it in any location other than an open field. I just imagine using it in a parking lot, falling off, and watching it go full speed into a pedestrian or a random car. Really scary!

If anyone has any advice, I've heard to try getting it on video, and I also read that maybe my footpads aren't properly worn in??

Thanks for the help! I want to love this thing, but it's already hurt my girlfriend and my house!

• Girlfriend for reference 0_1472157963693_image.jpeg

• @ajwhitt44 hope your girlfriend and your house is OK! Don't be scared, seems normal for a lot of us to have issues when we first get a OW. That sounds pretty severe what happened, I've never experienced that. I have experienced thinking I got off the board but wasn't off all the way, and the board was still engaged, so even when I was off but not fully off it 'had a mind of its own'. So maybe, just maybe a foot was still on the sensors even though she dismounted. On the other hand if it's going poltergeist on you and traveling long distances when no one is on it, contact support immediately. If by chance you do ever get video of it, we'd love to see it so we could further evaluate.

• Board for reference. Added Mac and cheese duct tape to sides for protection
    0_1472158193909_image.jpeg

• Check to make sure the footpads are clean. That happened to me once riding on the beach, and it was because the footpad got covered in sand, so that the board thought someone was still riding it after the rider hopped off. I hosed it down, gave it a full re-charge, and it went back to normal. Hope this helps.

• @groovyruvy you got it.

If I can get some daylight after my workout I think I'll try to take it to an open field or turf field, i'm sure I can get it on video as it seems pretty predictable. The only scary part is catching your foot/ankle near the spinning wheel.

Either way I think this thing is badass, and from what I gather mine shouldn't be going rogue, so I'm happy to troubleshoot until the problem corrects itself or if I need new footpads, go that route.

@amyt2205 said in Board ran away almost went through my house!:

Check to make sure the footpads are clean. That happened to me once riding on the beach, and it was because the footpad got covered in sand, so that the board thought someone was still riding it after the rider hopped off. I hosed it down, gave it a full re-charge, and it went back to normal. Hope this helps.

Hmm interesting. I do have some grass and bits stuck to the grip tape, but nothing really covering much of the surface at all. Either way I'll clean it off a bit better.

• Some have said the newer pads/sensors have issues. Not sure how true it is but the board should shut off within a second or 2 from the time you remove pressure from the front sensors. It's definitely possible to dismount/fall off the OW in such a way that it continues moving for a bit but if you fell off/dismounted and it continues to tear across your yard til it comes in contact with something you should contact support.

FYI - under .5 MPH requires pressure on both sensors to keep board on
    over .5 MPH and you only need pressure on one sensor to keep the board on.

• @ajwhitt44 do what @amyt2205 recommended and clean off the sensor pads. I suggest not using water and instead using a soft brush or a cleaner like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H69U7Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=20BUEPJ0IVNUL&coliid=I2UPBEN291IXIP. Also make sure you're in extreme mode, don't ride in classic mode. Trust me (and lots of us on this forum) and avoid classic mode. PS I dig that your gf likes riding the OW- wish my wife did!

• @ajwhitt44 nice reference

• @wr420 said in Board ran away almost went through my house!:

Some have said the newer pads/sensors have issues. Not sure how true it is but the board should shut off within a second or 2 from the time you remove pressure from the front sensors. It's definitely possible to dismount/fall off the OW in such a way that it continues moving for a bit but if you fell off/dismounted and it continues to tear across your yard til it comes in contact with something you should contact support.

FYI - under .5 MPH requires pressure on both sensors to keep board on
    over .5 MPH and you only need pressure on one sensor to keep the board on.

Will do for sure, just want to get some videos of it in action!

@groovyruvy said in Board ran away almost went through my house!:

@ajwhitt44 do what @amyt2205 recommended and clean off the sensor pads. I suggest not using water and instead using a soft brush or a cleaner like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H69U7Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=20BUEPJ0IVNUL&coliid=I2UPBEN291IXIP. Also make sure you're in extreme mode, don't ride in classic mode. Trust me (and lots of us on this forum) and avoid classic mode. PS I dig that your gf likes riding the OW- wish my wife did!

Yes I'll try cleaning harder - as the board is new there is not really anything on there but some stuck pieces of grass, but I'll make sure it's completely clean before trying again! Thanks for the feedback!!

Yes she lik(ED) riding it until it tried to ghost after her lol. Now there's some trust issues...

• @ajwhitt44 hey man! I may have had the same problem you are having with your board. My was brand new as well.

Is your board staying engaged after dismount and speeding up(the motor)???

Sans rider your board should completely disengage.

• @ajwhitt44
    In terms of breaking the sensor in, heres what I would do.
    Get a dumbell(the plastic coated one) around 10 pounds and put a block or something under the front beforehand. Sit the weight on the sensor. Leave it overnight. Mine did the same thing when it was new. It felt like it was goong to rip my ankles from the torque. This might speed up the break-in process.

• @Santoki said in Board ran away almost went through my house!:

@ajwhitt44 hey man! I may have had the same problem you are having with your board. My was brand new as well.

Is your board staying engaged after dismount and speeding up(the motor)???

Sans rider your board should completely disengage.

Yes exactly - when you fall off the board and the board stays mostly upright, the torque increases and the wheel keeps spinning. Earlier today this seemed to happen about 7 of 10 times.

@frotozoa said in Board ran away almost went through my house!:

@ajwhitt44
    In terms of breaking the sensor in, heres what I would do.
    Get a dumbell(the plastic coated one) around 10 pounds and put a block or something under the front beforehand. Sit the weight on the sensor. Leave it overnight. Mine did the same thing when it was new. It felt like it was goong to rip my ankles from the torque. This might speed up the break-in process.

So you're saying to keep the board powered OFF. Put a block under the sensor end to raise it off the ground. Then put a ~10lb weight on the sensor end overnight? Isn't there a sensor on the front pad as well that's maybe not breaking in?

Thanks!

• @ajwhitt44 I will be posting a quick video of how my board sensors engage and disengage so you can compare. I have not had any issues. So maybe this can be of some help

• @ajwhitt44 I rode mine for about a month, couple times a week, until I concluded something was fundamentally wrong and needed to be fixed.

It's not that I couldn't dismount properly. Its that if I chose to jump the board would not disengage and would ghost ride itself about 20yards full speed until stopping. It would even do this upside down after flipping itself.

Long story short, I documented this, showed FutureMotion and they agreed that it wasn't right. They sent me a new sensor, I swapped it out.

The board is night and day. It stops when jump off and disengaging is much more "snappier" and satisfying. I couldn't be happier!! This is the board I've seen others riding.

I know it's kinda hard to explain to others if you have a runaway board. Its down right sketchy. I can empathize if this is your problem.

Maybe ride it a bit more, away from people and property and come to a conclusion...??

• @ajwhitt44 , Protection from what?

• @ajwhitt44
    Yes im referring to the front sensor(blue)
    With the power off. Just a suggestion. It may or may not work.
    The alternative is having them check it out. But that takes a month if you're on the East coast.

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.