OW Foldable idea

• Hello,
    Just waiting for mine, dreaming of nice memories and bruises... I've sketched an idea of a foldable OW.

This is a free idea, probably costly to develop... all i know is I wish I could fold it and keep it 'light'.

0_1472554343664_Foldable-OneWheel.jpg

Cheers
    Rno

• @Rno Bad ass idea but I don't think It would be doable and hold it's structural integrity.

• Very cool concept. Long term durability might be an issue but for a travel or lite model it could work.

• It's a great idea and absolutely could be done. The OW is not stuck with the current frame design. As time goes on I could see OW offering other designs from aluminum, carbon fiber and maybe even titanium.

• @Roy You wouldn't be concerned with any hinges breaking or anything from the weight on both side of the wheel? I guess you could get a brace that slides over the frame locking it in.

• Hustle, I don't think it would be too hard to engineer, but it would add cost and also weight.

• Neat idea, but I wouldn't want a foldable snowboard, surfboard or skateboard. So I'm not down with a foldable OW either. Really they are not that big that they are hard to deal with, are they?

• @CABALLERO said in OW Foldable idea:

Neat idea, but I wouldn't want a foldable snowboard, surfboard or skateboard. So I'm not down with a foldable OW either. Really they are not that big that they are hard to deal with, are they?

No, they're tiny! I keep mine in my pocket.

• Nice idea, and I'm sure it's possible to make it strong enough. It cracks me up how unimaginative people usually are about strength.

A good example is my Strida folding bike. Several things look impossible, like the folding plastic petals - which hold your entire weight when extended - or the fact that each wheel uses a single fork on 1 side (instead of a fork on each side). yet, both are plenty strong, and lightweight.

anyway, you may be missing the biggest feature of your folding design..... you don't need to stuff it into a backpack, because you could easily roll it behind you like carry on luggage. you just need a long handle.

This is actually one of the best features of the Strida folding bike - when folded up, you can roll it along beside you with 1 hand... I'd love to see that on the OW...

• @jeff8v7

True, or the Brompton bike.
    Folds 3 ways and feels as sturdy as full size bike.

It's also been done on e. skateboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-53aDuCzQ

• Meanwhile I made a shoulder bag: Cheap

1. Nice large Strap from an old bag can go around the frame (Black).
    2. Wheel protection (in fact hip/dirt protection, in Yellow) made with soft plastic and strings.

0_1473061933879_Summary.jpg

Definetly in need of a fender.

This is how it stores, really light:
    0_1473061968027_Summary 2.jpg

I am oK with "Diaper like" comments but more looking for improvment ideas.
    This is for urban use in underground with lots of staircases etc.

Bye
    Arnaud

• This post is deleted!

• RNO, love the simplicity and how you cover the wheel. The other solutions do not seem to address how dirty the wheel is.

• @Rno nice carrying solution!

I live in Tokyo and take my OW on the train often. The floors are super smooth here, so I found it easier to simply roll the OW instead of carrying it. Might not be as practical with stairs though...

Here's the link if you're interested...
    http://community.onewheel.com/topic/571/build-you-own-clip-on-wheels-for-5

• @jeff8v very Nice, I'll add this to my quiver! love the "Dirt Cheap" solutions, don't know why.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.