Not charging to 100%

• I have been riding for about a year and I have noticed that my board no longer charges to "100%" as measured by the Onewheel app (or the new OWheelBuddy app). I am now maxing out ~85%. Anyone else notice something similar?

I tend not to drain the battery down to <20-40%. Maybe that is part of it?

• @ted try taking it all the way down to zero and then let it charge for 24-48 hours

• @groovyruvy said in Not charging to 100%:

@ted try taking it all the way down to zero and then let it charge for 24-48 hours

This has worked for me twice, just make sure you ride it til it's dead, and no longer able to move, it has to be 100% empty

• @ted listen to @groovyruvy .. My board was shipped like this but only ran for a few minutes before dying.. I did 48 nonstop charge and it was sorted.. This is a battery balance issue.. There are 16 cells that need to balance and the fast charger only goes into balance mode when the green light is on..

I leave my board on overnight charges once a week to keep all cells balanced.. Sounds as if your cells need a balance charge too.

• @groovyruvy Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and report back.

I don't think it's a balance issue as I regularly leave it plugged in for 24-48 hours. I will try to run it all the way down and see it it helps.

• I would recommend you to get OWheelbuddy app if you are on iphone. There you can check how your cells are charged and balanced.

Plus its about the best you can buy for you onewheel for 5 bucks :D the rest of the app is amazing

• @BadWolf Where in the app does it tell you that?

• App should be more powerful

• @clinton said in Not charging to 100%:

App should be more powerful

Are you talking about the same app? What else would you like it to do? Teleportation?

• @thegreck said in Not charging to 100%:

@clinton said in Not charging to 100%:

App should be more powerful

Are you talking about the same app? What else would you like it to do? Teleportation?

It sucks. It doesnt make me dinner, walk my cats, give me the correct lottery numbers or revives lost loved ones. What were Andi thinking!

• The app shows 12 cells at 3.62 and 4 at 3.60 with total charge of 89%. This is after taking it to 0% and then 48 hour charge.

Although it is not back to 100%, the full discharge/recharge did increase the max percentage from 85% to 89%. I may give it a try again (fully drain it and recharge) to see if: (a) the max recharge percentage increases and (b) I can get closer to the 3.64 charges listed in @DocBlock picture above. Thoughts anyone?

• @ted

Might wanna try soft discharge at the bench.
    Use a clamp to press 1 sensor, place it on 2 boxes freeing the wheel and then press the second sensor and release.
    It'll start rolling and let it run until it stops.

Is it affecting the range?

• These batteries do NOT have to be drained before charging.. it will have no effect on the batteries longevity.. it's actually better to charge them before they are dead.. with the right charging cycles these batteries in theory can last forever..

• @njcustom Maybe not forever, but for the life of a human being at least.

• I would love to have a way to PREVENT it from charging to 100%.

I would much rather have a way to only charge it to 96% or so. That way I could ride it down my driveway after charging.

I do not have a good solution right now, but I may try putting the charger on a timer that cuts off after some calculated time based on the current battery.

• @thegreck lol

• @Zluz you can .. turn the board on while charging and you can actually watch the battery charge from the app

• @njcustom that's a good point, and I have watched it before.
    I was hoping to be able to regularly plug it in overnight.

I'll probably end up using an arduino to calculate the amount of power it should take and cut off when it approaches 90%.

• @Zluz good point.. that needs to be done every so often..

• Mine was only charging to 97% I ran battery all the way down. It ran up my hill several times on 1%charge. Then plugged it in and within 1 hour back to 100%. Maybe lots of short runs with short charges over 1400 milles (love the new app), so could be a good idea to run it dead every so often.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.