Apple Watch or Android App?

• If you had to choose a software/firmware release from FM what would it be?

Apple Watch: change modes from your wrist, check battery level, ride without your phone
    Android App: bring the iOS app to Android, avoid having to buy an iPod touch for Android users
    Device Free Use: firmware update to allow you to change modes without a device using (some combination of power switch and sensor and power lights as an indicator). This makes the board guest-rider friendly due to not required a paired device, and might satisfy Android users until we have an app.

Note: it's okay to answer  watch app if you would actually use it, I'm curious to hear that perspective. Safe to assume that most of the community agrees that lack of Android support is a big problem for the business, community, and sport.

• There are many more android phones in the world than iphones. Watch market share is nonexistent compared to phones. Ergo, there's no point in even talking about a watch app, much less putting any resources into a watch app while there's no android app (as well as a hundred other features and some quality control issues).

• Android app please lol

• Android!!! Really hope FM is developping and finishing with it soon...

• I don't get what's taking so long

• @ThatGuy Excellent points, but if iPhone users are self-selecting into being early adopters, giving them more might make sense.

I wanted to see any of those folks would go for that, even if they're rather FM do the right thing. Really want to see if the general grumble we see all over these forums is the actual pulse of the community.

Should have asked "what do you want" instead of "what makes sense"... Going to add a note of clarification to the OP.

• Going to answer my own poll here... Android.

Thought it would be a little harder... like many here I use an iPod touch to switch modes, etc. So I was entertaining the idea that a simple  Watch app would show battery and switch modes. But I was playing with our test  Watch at work and found that you can't pair with an iPod touch. So bollocks to that.

• Device installed bases:
    iWatch = 3 million
    iPhone = 395 million
    Android phone = 1.6 Billion

http://www.statista.com/statistics/385001/smartphone-worldwide-installed-base-operating-systems/
    ... and...
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/13/apple-watch-sales-estimated-3m-3-months/

Close the thread? ;)

• Apple watch as a speedometer? That would be perfect!

And battery gauge, definitely.

I don't own an apple watch, but man, that might actually make it worth getting one. Would be the ultimate companion piece to the board.

Personally, I'm still hoping for historical data in the app and more advanced board shaping tweakage.

• Also, to the people screaming for Android...

There are currently 24,093 different models of Android phone out there in the wild:

http://opensignal.com/reports/2015/08/android-fragmentation/

It is a bloody nightmare to support (I am a producer and developer myself) and even when you think you have managed to get it right, there will always be a phone out there that your app does not work with because of some new bug or problem on the phone/OEM version of android that you never knew about.

It is also a massive security problem, but y'all know about that 😱

I'm sure Future Motion are doing their very best, as well all do, but that is never enough with Android.

• @ThatGuy I'm not much of a thread closer. We just got some interesting replies.

• @lardnicus Agreed, it's very easy for us to say give us Android, but another thing to deliver it.

Especially as this is one of those apps that would need to not kill people. Those are a little trickier, and you don't want to ship it half-baked.

If that's the reason, I have more understanding.

• @lardnicus said:

Also, to the people screaming for Android...

There are currently 24,093 different models of Android phone out there in the wild:

http://opensignal.com/reports/2015/08/android-fragmentation/

It is a bloody nightmare to support (I am a producer and developer myself) and even when you think you have managed to get it right, there will always be a phone out there that your app does not work with because of some new bug or problem on the phone/OEM version of android that you never knew about.

It is also a massive security problem, but y'all know about that 😱

I'm sure Future Motion are doing their very best, as well all do, but that is never enough with Android.

Lol...Spoken like a true IOS fan... :)

• @parrothd not at all actually, I just have to work with phones. As soon as one of Googles partners make a good phone, and as soon as Google make a half decent OS, I'll be the first to see it (and the first to switch). I've been waiting a real long time for that!

• Nexus line and moto X.. :) All pure, no crap....

• edit; I might buy an apple watch just for this feature!

• Oh, apparently the apple watch app already exists and does exactly that.

Awesome!

• Besides my Windows computers, I'm all iOS with iPhone and iPad. However I'm no fanboy and if anything think the apple innovation has slowed while android is catching up. I can't imagine switching at this point but I can see why so many people wouldn't want to have an iOS device for ow. I think the android app should be the highest priority behind working directly on the board hardware and software.

• I am due for a phone upgrade and there is the very small possibility that I'd go back to iPhone to not have to carry my iPod Touch. Apple Watch might make it more appealing.

I was on a lot of hills this weekend and it was a pain to have to pull out my iTouch to switch from Extreme to Elevated.

• I'm going to add another option to the OP: Device free mode switching. I feel like the question we're trying to answer here is how FM can to give all riders a minimum viable product: we need to switch modes and see battery levels. The board could handle all that (like it does low battery), if not as clearly as an app. Very much might not be possible if there are hardware limitation.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.