OW front sensor nosedive firmware fix

• Maybe I'm completely missing something (likely), but couldn't future motion fix the potential nosedive issue by simply updating the firmware so that the board will only disengage the balance sensor when under x mph?

I understand the need for the sensor as you need a way to get up on the board and back off again. In contrast a hoverboard begins to balance with power on regardless of foot placement , but it can do this because of the method of mounting and Unmounting the board is different ... I guess technically this could work with a OW but it would require you to hold onto something while getting on and off , or jump off to dismount.

So (and here's the part where I feel like I might be missing something simple) we know two things

1. the sensor is required for getting on and off the board safety
    2. The need to keep this sensor engaged while riding is (subjectively) dangerous at high speeds especially while carving

If those two are true , then I would think a simple change to the firmware that says something like :

OW speed 0-3mph , sensor is required to be engaged for balance to start
    OW speed >3mph board maintains balance regardless of sensor engagement

Just a thought

• Is there really a OW nosedive issue?

I can't speak for everyone or every situation, but I suspect people are simply pushing too far beyond the capabilities of the board.

There will always be a limit to the board's ability to catch you from falling forward - your speed, your weight, the terrain, how fast you accelerate are all going to effect this. This isn't necessarily a bug, but simply physics. The OW is amazing, but not magical.

I've ridden over 500 miles - often times on long straightaways where I'm at top speed for an extended period. In the begining I was fighting push back all the time, but after switching to extreme mode long ago, I just respect it or at least don't charge past it.

Because pushback means "warning - physics applies - you're getting close to the limit that this board can save you from falling on your face!"

The only nosedive I've had, I was trying to see how fast I could accelerate up a hill. Guess what? I found out :) Fortunately, I ran it out and didn't hurt myself.

That's not a bug, just me have fun and paying the price. It never even occurred to me to think "there's a bug here". I just thought "right, my bad, don't do that again."

Did the board shut off? You bet - right as I slammed the nose into the ground and flew off - as it should, otherwise it would have run me over, or perhaps tripped me as I ran it out. :)

• As a software engineer, I'm fond of the saying

"You can make it fool proof, but you can't make it damn-fool proof"

Not to imply any of you are damn fools of course :)

• @jeff8v7 I agree with you (on both posts) , however i'm not talking about a nosedive due to "pushing too far beyond the capabilities of the board". i completely understand nose diving due to too fast acceleration, going up a hill thats too steep or hitting it too quickly , or fighting pushback too far .. those are all acceptable.

The type of nose-dive that i'm referring to is the one that could occur while pushing the board well within the acceptable limits but the board cutting out due to you're foot coming off the front sensor. I think this is an easy fix (as i stated above) , and something that otherwise seems like a constant concern. when i carve (especially on my toe) i tend to lift up my foot and it scares me from really enjoying the ride so far.

• @detroitwheelin I misunderstood. Forgive the rant. Have you tried putting the sensor under the other foot? That might give you a temporary fix. I guess I'm lucky, I haven't experienced that...

• I vaguely remember someone mentioning this before. Perhaps it's already in the software?

If us riders can imagine useful precautions like this, it hard to imagine the engineers didn't think of it too :)

You could test it - put on some protection or ride in the grass and intentionally lift off your foot in the way you're worried about. See what happens...

• @jeff8v7 - to be honest on a few carves i felt like i lifted my heel up enough where it should've dropped me , so you could be right about it already being in the software .. in regards to the testing , i'll let someone else try that lol

• There's 2 sensors, you need both covered to start and only 1 covered above .5 mph. If you fail to cover at least 1 while moving the board stops. Lol..

• The sensors are also helpful for letting your board know it should not continue tearing down the block at 20 mph unridered.

• Your solution can't work...simply because of you fall from the board or jump from it, it will continue to run away by itself until something put it at level or backward. it can be dangerous to let a 24lbs metal board running far from you at 15mph :P So it's safer the way it is :)

• @Tartopom said in OW front sensor nosedive firmware fix:

Your solution can't work...simply because of you fall from the board or jump from it, it will continue to run away by itself until something put it at level or backward. it can be dangerous to let a 24lbs metal board running far from you at 15mph :P So it's safer the way it is :)

That could be solved by the lack of weight. The board will speed up dramaticly (just start it and let it freerun, and check the app, it will double the speed)

• @jeff8v7 said in OW front sensor nosedive firmware fix:

I vaguely remember someone mentioning this before. Perhaps it's already in the software?

If us riders can imagine useful precautions like this, it hard to imagine the engineers didn't think of it too :)

You could test it - put on some protection or ride in the grass and intentionally lift off your foot in the way you're worried about. See what happens...

Oh trust me, you will fly off.. I had that a few times close to max speed, and my foot went of the sensor. Instant flying.

• @BadWolf Lack of weight need to be detected....that's why sensors are there :o

• The issue seems to happen most often with those >200lbs. It might be harder for you to notice blasting through pushback the heavier you are.

• @Hubbitron Yes and No...i'm 113kg (220lbs) and I feel the pushback quite easily, also good advantage to be heavy is that usually you are also tall, so you have bigger feet (12US in my case) therefore I can easily cover the sensors and never had any novedive because of feet ripping or the sensors :P

• @detroitwheelin

you are right. other than 'nosedives' which are due to overweighting the nose, there is a problem with flaky 'sensors' disengaging and the subsequent 'crapout'. if you do not have flaky sensors then you may be unaware of this dangerous quality control issue.

a firmware change that would alleviate the issue of being ignored by your board, would be a longer keep-alive after no sensor contact. this creates an issue of longer unmanned driving after a case of rider error (falling).

the way the board should have been designed, and a good safety measure to prevent issues with flaky sensors is to have sensors for both feet.

• We have two boards: 3xxx and 4xxx series. The latter one has slightly longer delay (maybe 100 ms) from sensor disengage to motor disengage. No problems with either of boards and I personally like the faster 3k-series. IMO: The other way around is a lot more dangerous. If the sensor wouldn't see you falling and the board would rush into other people.

The disengage without purpose could be solved by using foot sensors on both pads.

• @newtechsports

i agree that the board driving unmanned can be more troublesome in certain situations--like a busy intersection or next to little kid or a beehive.

consider this: would you rather have the board dive off a cliff after you safely bail out or, to slide off the cliff yourself with the board sitting there waiting for its next victim.

• @mrb

Has OneWheeling at the side of cliffs suddenly become a thing? :p

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.