Board vs Unicycle

• I have been riding my OW for 9 months but am new to the forum--need a new tire, you know (and am located in Europe which does not have its own repair center :( so that brought me to the forum.
    Apart from my tire I'd be interested to know more about the background of all of you OW-addicts. This may be more of a question FM should ask but sounds like most folks here have a "board" background (snow, wave, skate,...). I don't. It's the unicycling that got me to the OW. I now ride both my Uni and my OW. Having a blast on both.
    Still, I believe the OW has potential to appeal to an even broader audience. Any forum members who did not have any particular "balancing skill" prior to riding their OW? Anyone with a very different background than board or unicycle?

• @Wouter I think there are a good amount of people that have a OW that don't have any previous board riding experience. Most of the owners seem to be a little bit older as well simply because of the price and everyone seems to be having no problem riding and having a blast. I would say I am the Minority owner only being in my early 20's.

• I rode electric skateboard for the last 10 years and still do.
    I also grew up skateboarding and skiing.
    While it helps to have a boarding backround, Onewheel is its own thing.
    I was watching youtube snowboarding on powder to see how Onewheel is often compared to it as it seems more like surfing.

Changing the tire is an easy process.
    It's possible to find replacement tire in Europe.
    Someone was able to find a Hoosier brand and worked up fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euqGyf_DFT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQopEPG2SHs

• @Wouter
    Looks like @sonny123 has you covered for the replacement tire so I will focus on your background prior to OW'n question. I had done a bit of wakeboarding, snowboarding, skiing and kneeboarding but for me the balance element comes from my years of Tae Kwon Do (I am a TKD instructor). I would believe if the interested person has no exposure at all to a control and balance activity in the past it would be a mutiplied level of difficulty for them to feel comfortable and enjoy the OW. I was basically carving around the bike paths on my third time on the OW and maybe a total of 25 minutes. If not being totally comfortable on balance and also trusting/ understanding the OW function it may take two or three charge cycles.

• @sonny123 Woohoo, thanks a bunch! I had previously seen only the assembly vid (the second one you list). Looks like I'll start considering the replacement myself...

• @LidPhones Interesting. All your sports are heavily involving the center of gravity, TKD including.. Would you agree that of all the sports you are listing, the OW has a (very) low threshold to learn / have fun? It is my assessment--with unicycling as a benchmark that's easy. But I can't compare with other board sports..

• @ahxe45 While the OW ads are picturing mainly the young crowd...

• @Wouter I agree my biggest challenge was to trust what the OW controls would do, not how to balance and steer it.

• Skate/Snow boarder here . surfed a few times, and i also have decent balance from previous martial arts experience (Kenpo Karate). I've played around w/ a few electric skateboards (older ones) , and hoverboards (i know i know cheesy but i love my hoverboard).

with all this the OW wasn't too hard to get on and go, but does still take a while before you start to feel comfortable. after my 2nd ride i was almost going to sell it , because i wasn't sure i would ever feel comfortable enough on it to really enjoy it , but a few rides later that goes away ....just need to get you're "sea" legs (err OW legs )

• @Wouter I like a good challenge and have been wanting to give the unicycle a try. Maybe someday.....

• @detroitwheelin

Would you compare Onewheel to snowboarding or surfing?

• @sonny123 - it feels like snowboarding to me. I hear it's even more like snowboarding when you do it on the beach (haven't tried that yet).

• @sonny123 it's closer to snowboarding than surfing I think. Especially with how you have to turn heel to toe is the closest to snowboarding I have felt besides maybe a "freebord" longboard. I don't think any electric board can replicate what a Freebord does.

• Interesting. I was under the impression it simulates surfing more as it's body motion that does the carving at times.

• I think the carving aspect is very similar to longboarding and snowboarding. If I start out after a full charge and have a huge hill to go down then I can carve all the way to each side of the pavement/road/grass whatever at a decent enough speed that my regenerative braking isn't kicking in so my board doesn't overpower and shut off on me. I think that the experience I have, especially with longboarding, helps me greatly in this. Feeling more comfortable in the bent knees position also contributes a lot I think to my overall ability on the OW.
    That being said, my dad doesn't do any other board sports and he was the first of us to get a OW and he cruises right along, hitting bumps and carving like a pro. We've paddle boarded together and I took him snowboarding once (which he made it down the hill on his first try no problem) but other than that I am not aware of any board sports he did.
    We are also relatively short at about 5'5 so our lower center of gravity probably does help some.
    I rambled. Sorry :D

• @detroitwheelin I had one experienced snowboarder try my OW. What I remember from that conversation is that with snowboarding you're steering more with your shoulders / entire body. The OW allows for much more subtle movements. I have only snowboarded once but I can see the point. The contact point with the ground is way smaller with OW than with snowboarding.. And thus it's more sensitive and allows for more subtle movements--that help steering nevertheless. With the OW you can rely more on moving your center of gravity rather than the upper body... Anything recognisable for you?

• @Wouter I agree with that to an extent.
    With snowboarding and longboarding if you swing your torso you can control your carve a lot more. 180 & 360's on either type of board(standup slides on a longboard) is much easier to accomplish when swinging your arms/torso to fully commit with the turn. I feel like the same applies with the OW. I haven't tried any 180's or 360's on it yet but I plan on it when I get to the beach this weekend and that is the approach I plan on taking.
    I guess what I am trying to say is slow carving I feel the toe/heel pressure similar to snowboarding but higher speed carving totally feels like a longboard.

• @Wouter well at slower speeds a snowboard requires more upper body movements but once you get moving its more subtle and you can lean and carve , which is similar to the OW at most any speed.

Surfing and longboarding I feel like I need to rock my front foot (pull the board back and forth) to carve rather than really lean-carve... The OW is definitely more of a lean-carve , than foot-rock-carve

• @detroitwheelin I feel like the toe/heel will let you turn, but it's not a true carve. If you want to really carve where you're kicking up a wave of snow you need more of a body commitment. If that makes sense?

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9pPiuA5zI

As much as I love the OW it doesn't even come close to how riding a freebord feels. Now if they could somehow put a motor on that board and make it capable of off-roading it would be a game changer.

• @ahxe45 I'd love to try a freeboard but I never bought one because my terrain is not very hilly.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.