Two days with my OW and I'm already loving it!

• I got my OW on Wednesday. It arrived to my office, so the obvious questions and try outs of all my co-workers happened. All of them tried it and loved it!

I have never done any board sports other than snowboard and surf, both only once. The first time I hopped on the OW was kind of weird to me, and harder to control than I expected for sure. That afternoon I practised in an empty sidewalk for a while and started to get the feels of it. Last night I went to an empty space and spent an entire battery just riding around and practising turns to both sides. What a blast!
    I have to say after that I feel way more confident. I reached 17 km/h according to the android app POWheel and I'm still riding Classic mode. I haven't tested Extreme yet, but I'll switch soon.

I found that I really like riding at night because since I'm still learning I still don't have the confidence to ride when there's people around without harming them. Plus, I'm not a very social person and I don't enjoy people asking me about it all the time.

One thing I noticed is that when I was about to lose balance, I had to jump off the board a couple of times, and most of the times the board keeps rolling by itself for a second or so!! This scares the sh*t out of me. Last night I was about to fall and I jumped, and the board went rogue and crashed a lamp post that was near me. What if it was a person instead???
    It doesn't go for very long. As I said it's just for a second or so, but it's long enough to make the OW angrily go away for a few meters. It's like a killing machine that escaped from BattleBots.

I wanted to ask you guys; has this happened to someone? I guess there is a delay in the pressure pads on purpose, so if you lift your foot for a fraction of a second the OW does not disengage, but it's making me lose some confidence to ride it near people or cars.
    Any advice?

Thanks!

• @matto You answered your own question. It has a delay so that if your foot loses contact while riding (like if you hit a bump), the wheel won't suddenly lock up on you.

But my advice is switch to Exteme shaping NOW. Don't wait. Experienced riders will tell you you're only asking for trouble riding in Classic. It's not helpful for beginners, it's not helpful for anyone. It's just dangerous, and has literally been the primary cause of hospital visits by several riders.

• What @thegreck said about extreme. I +1 that hard.
    Second thing, practice your dismount over and over and over again until you can do it without thinking about it. This is soooo important for the very reason you said. If you're in a tight situation or something/someone comes out of no where and you need to stop and then get off of it, this is something that should be a natural action.

• Oh man! Thanks for the advice, I'll start with Extreme mode today. No more Classic then :)
    I'm still a little concerned about it running free. I was hoping there was another solution to it, but I guess the only one is not to jump off the board.

Thanks!

• Thanks @hustle! Luckily I feel comfortable dismounting. It's just in extreme / newbie situations when I jump off the board. I'll practise dismounting fast anyway so I can be prepared for those situations and not have to jump.

• @matto I don't consider myself a pro like several of the other folks here but I found "sensitive" a better label than "extreme". Reacts better to subtle movements. So no need to go fast if you want to have fun..

• @SaturnOne Agreed. They need to remove Classic and rename Extreme to USE THIS ONE

• @hustle said:

USE THIS ONE

Hahah that's a great name for it.

• @SaturnOne
    They should add the descriptors:
    Extreme (Controllable)
    Classic (Uncontrollable)

• @thegreck The one time my 10-year old daughter fell off was in the very beginning when, indeed, the thing was out of control. In Classic mode..

• @SaturnOne said in Two days with my OW and I'm already loving it!:

@matto So no need to go fast if you want to have fun..

+1000
    As I always say, Onewheel ain't about speed.
    Spend the first few weeks just hanging around and getting the feel of it.
    An empty parking lot is a good place to practice.
    Mount, go around and back, hold on to something like railing or fence and dismount.
    Do that repeatedly until you're very comfortable with mounting/dismounting.
    Before you know, it'll feel like second nature.

• @sonny123 I will not argue that the OW can be fun at high speed, assuming you have the skills. But I agree with sonny123 that, in essence, it ain't about speed.
    From that perspective: an additional way to acquaint yourself with your OW that I haven't read much about here yet (may be me having just joined forum two days ago), and that still can be a lot of fun, is using it like a balance board.
    That kind of board is obviously not about speed but using the OW in that way helps you connect with your OW (and with yourself for that matter) in a relatively safe "non-speeding"way. Balancing that way on a OW is not as hard as balancing on an actual balance board but the OW gives you already a great feeling at lower skill levels.
    Our 10-year old daughter described it beautifully when she did that in the beginning: "It feels like a little angel swaying in the clouds".
    Enough said...

• For speed, I'd love to pick up one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGHK4k8LvA

But for hanging around and floating around the neighborhood,
    nothing beats the Onewheel.

• @SaturnOne said in Two days with my OW and I'm already loving it!:

@sonny123 ... an additional way to acquaint yourself with your OW that I haven't read much about here yet (may be me having just joined forum two days ago), and that still can be a lot of fun, is using it like a balance board.

Yep. I've said that a few times, too. Putting it in the grass so it won't roll and trying to balance on it with the power off is a great way to get better at riding it when it's turned on.

• @thegreck Agreed. But that's the hard part. Even engaging in that same motion with the OW turned on can be satisfying. Looks and feels a bit as if you're moving in slow motion but that, to me, is part of the entire OW experience. It's as if you're in a different dimension.

• @SaturnOne I agree on the slow motion control side. I love it and practice like that will help in the future on tight turns. I really suggest for all new OW riders to practice several start /stops to get the hang of that. I enjoy a bit of a stomp and push or skid on my stops (like drifting).

I must say that I am really missing my OW now while in Germany. I can not wait to get home!

• For the slow part... it's more like mountain biking.....

Slowly navigate over some ruff terrain and tree roots. Maintain control balance and slow speed. Then your an expert....

Now for the bad news... either get used to riding nonstop with a smug smile or maybe headphones with nothing playing or learning to be social, because no matter where you go, you WILL be the focus of attention.... :) always.....

• Get outta classic. Go extreme pronto.

Practice maneuver at slow speed. You'll get better

• @Aaron-Broward-FL said in Two days with my OW and I'm already loving it!:

Now for the bad news... either get used to riding nonstop with a smug smile or maybe headphones with nothing playing or learning to be social, because no matter where you go, you WILL be the focus of attention.... :) always.....

Agreed. As for the attention you'll be getting. The interesting part is that once you get the hang of riding, and you get into the zone, all that stuf fades away to the background. You notice it. But it doesn't bother you anymore. That's how the OW can transform you. Will be curious to hear you'd second that at some pont.

• We'll see!
    I'm waiting to improve to the point where when people notices me, I'm long gone :)

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.