Man I am too old for this =(

• I am 42 and have had knee surgeries. I can snowboard and skateboarded as a kid so I thought I could catch on to this and have fun with my kids on their hoverboards.

I have spent maybe a total of 20 minutes with crutches (seriously) to balance me. I never fell but knew quickly I am just too old for this lol.

It was a total impulse purchase.

This thing is as close to new in a box as could possibly be.

I have the charger, the bumpers and the fender. The fender and the bumpers I never even had a chance to put on but I have them brand new.

While this has no wear on it, one wheel says if it's been ridden it can't be returned and I respect that. I knew that when I got it. I am just not sure the best way to sell it.

I have great eBay feedback. Should I just post it there and post the link here? Is that ok?

I am super bummed but it is what it is.

• @shoemoney Oh no! If you're too old at 42, then I'm way beyond at 53... I guess the knee surgeries must make it way harder, but I really hope you can persevere and find the joy we're all experiencing every time we ride!

• @shoemoney Yeah, your knee surgeries might be the deciding factor here. There are riders on this forum that could be your parents, so you're definitely not too old. Hell, I'm 46 and I'm just getting started!

• Give it a couple more tries before you sell, I can understand your frustrations.
    I too have knee and ankle issues from skate and snowboarding in my younger years, and I was thinking the same thing at first. But now I can imagine not having a onewheel

• Ok you guys are giving me hope here.

I think I need to get back in the gym and strengthen my peripherals as I was so shaky. I work from home on a computer all day then running my kids around so I don't get a lot of activity from walking or whatever.

Do you recommend starting on concrete or carpet? I have a slick basment concrete I tried with I dunno if that was the best to start.

I have looked for newbie guides but the ones I came up with were a bit more than like PURE newbie.

BTW my knee surgery wasn't THAT bad it was just a fully torn meniscus. Sometimes my knee will pop but only when I am sitting and it twists weird.

Ok you guys are really inspiring me.

I think getting back in the gym and getting back some core will be all the difference?

Anyway THANK YOU for posting. I really do not want to give up. Just got frustrated initially.

• @shoemoney I was kind of in the same boat as you (but slightly different). In my case i picked up the basics quickly , but just felt a little uneasy for the first 5-6 rides. I actually was going to sell and the guys on here convinced me to give it a few more tries, and now i love it!

a couple tips:

1. go right to extreme mode , do NOT use classic : classic mode is awkward , extreme lets you lean more and feels more natural

2. you can't learn by going slow: it's not like a hoverboard where you can sit in one place and slowly make you're way around. To get a good feel for the one wheel you need to get moving a bit. I would recommend heading down a sidewalk or street with no traffic and get moving , once you feel good moving in a straight line try carving a bit

3. practice on cement, not grass: you might consider practicing on the grass in case you fall , but grass is uneven and has occasional roots, etc.. you really need to get you're one wheel "legs" first before tackling grass and other terrain

4. once you get the basics down, take a loooong ride: head out at night or when low traffic and take a long leisurely ride (2-3 miles) ...after about 3-4 or these and you're confidence will skyrocket

5. don't overthink it: just relax and enjoy the ride

• If it makes you feel better, I'm 50, out of shape, overeight with multiple knee surgeries including ACL reconstruction.
    That said, I've had one of the best Summers.
    Heck, Onewheel is way better than Prozac.

• @shoemoney the shakey knee thing is (I'm assuming) totally common for all of us at first. I was afraid that would never go away and after 6 or so miles a day for the past month I have no issues.
    Strengthening your legs and core at the gym would work wonders.
    Also, these things sell at 1000-1200 used, regardless, so you might as well get some practice and be positive your knees can't handle it before you do anything too drastic (:
    Happy riding!

• @detroitwheelin wow really... to be honest I havent even got the app yet. Really extreme mode at the start?

That is really interesting.

• @detroitwheelin said in Man I am too old for this =(:

@shoemoney I was kind of in the same boat as you (but slightly different). In my case i picked up the basics quickly , but just felt a little uneasy for the first 5-6 rides. I actually was going to sell and the guys on here convinced me to give it a few more tries, and now i love it!

a couple tips:

1. go right to extreme mode , do NOT use classic : classic mode is awkward , extreme lets you lean more and feels more natural

2. you can't learn by going slow: it's not like a hoverboard where you can sit in one place and slowly make you're way around. To get a good feel for the one wheel you need to get moving a bit. I would recommend heading down a sidewalk or street with no traffic and get moving , once you feel good moving in a straight line try carving a bit

3. practice on cement, not grass: you might consider practicing on the grass in case you fall , but grass is uneven and has occasional roots, etc.. you really need to get you're one wheel "legs" first before tackling grass and other terrain

4. once you get the basics down, take a loooong ride: head out at night or when low traffic and take a long leisurely ride (2-3 miles) ...after about 3-4 or these and you're confidence will skyrocket

5. don't overthink it: just relax and enjoy the ride

Also I been reading PSI can make a big difference have you messed with that at all ?

• I can definitely recommend switching to extreme mode. I just started riding about a 2 weeks ago, and I went against the advice I had already read here and started in classic mode. I have a background in skateboarding and snowboarding, but it's been quite a few years since I've done either, and am now in mid 40s, working in front of a computer, and not in great shape.
    My starts and stops are still pretty wobbly, but once it get moving just a little bit it's good. Extreme mode feels much more natural in the response of the board.

On my second time out, in classic mode, I had a pretty hard crash. I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but I think I might have went past pushback or my front foot came off the sensor. I was about to make a heelside turn to head back down the street when the board basically just went down and threw me off. No warning, just BAM! If you've ever hit a big crack or rock when skateboarding and didn't see it coming, it's like that.. instantaneous crash. I didn't have any wrist guards yet, so my hand got pretty chewed up on impact, but I had enough presence of mind and residual reflexes to roll over on the fall, so no bruises or other impact injuries. I was pretty reluctant to get back on the next day.
    Switched to Extreme mode a couple of days later (with wrist guards and a helmet) and it's been good since.. just need lots more practice on start. dismount, and maneuvering at slow speed.

Don't give up yet!

• @hustle The shaky knee is there because your body isn't used to this (anymore). I totally agree it's normal in the beginning. Getting comfortable on the board is the very first thing you'd want to do and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with holding onto a railing and using the OW as a balance board--with motor on. That makes it easier to let go of the jitters and gives you a chance to connect with your board. Before you know it you'll feel like you're in a rocking chair or a hammock--instead of in something that's making your knees shake.. The next thing you know you're in the zone.

• @shoemoney Don't give up dude or you will regret it! Plus you already have dozens of friends who will help you to love this thing ;) (and everybody's right about!!!)

• @shoemoney
    I recommend starting out on astroturf at the local school football or soccer field. This ride will be grass like maybe a bit smoother due to the rubber balls. This helped my confidence in the beginning and if needed you have a softer surface to roll on if needed. I am 45 so you are not too old and it is okay to be a bit cautious on the OW. Actually it is better to be cautious. Absolutely switch to extreme mode as other have said the ride will be more natural and you can control the speed yourself (not the board controlling it). I suggust getting access to a bosu ball (the half exercise ball & deck) this will help your fine muscle developement and balance. I used this after my left knee ACL reconstruction. Keep going and work on start and stops with moderate speed. Remember to look forward not down at the board. Good luck.

• Don't give up, i'm 54 double hip replacement, pinned wrist and shoulder, it takes a while but keep at it.
    Its worth it in the end!!

• @shoemoney take every ones advice and get out of classic and into extreme. The wording extreme scares people off but if you read around the forums you will see that it is not as extreme and scary as it sounds. It is much safer and you have pretty much total control of the board compared to in classic mode. Also Grass can be tough to learn on as it is very bumpy. Turf would be great but not always available. Pavement is the easiest and smoothest to learn on even though it hurts more when you fall. Just give yourself as much room as possible when you are first learning so you have room to make mistakes and correct them. Sometimes confining yourself to a basement is more dangerous than a big open parking lot.

• @shoemoney unless you have a gigantic basement that's a different story. Also wear a helmet, pads, and wrist guards. I am stupid and usually do not wear a helmet or pads but I always have wrist guards on and they have saved the skin on my hands countless times. Also the pads will give you more confidence in the beginning.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.