Tips for beach riding / anyone in Montauk

• I'll be spending a weekend at Gurney's (do you see what I did there) next month and am very excited to bring my OW and finally experience the beach riding about which I've seen and heard so much. So I don't eat too much sand, are there any tips for beach riding? Are there any significant ways in which it's different from pavement/grass/dirt/etc.? Recommended extra cleanup steps? Etc.?

• @RLY biggest thing is to make sure you are on the hard packed sand. From my experience the second you hit some soft sand the wheel begins to slip and then digs itself into a hole. Also stay away from the water as much as possible. From recent posts it seems that if you submerge it too far you will ruin your board.

• @RLY One other thing I notice is I fall off the board a lot more on the sand especially if the beach is sloped it is hard to keep your balance. Once you get sand on the footpads and it is caked on there they become much less grippy.

• @ahxe45 Thanks. To clarify - the hard packed sand would be the sand closer to the water, right? So I need to be close to the water but not too close. What about footwear? Barefoot, sneakers... how do you prefer to ride?

• @RLY Exactly best time to ride would be low tide when the water has receded and exposes the harder usually flatter sand. I prefer to ride barefoot on the beach as shoes slip even worse as sand builds up on the footpads.

• @RLY A fender makes a huge difference but there will still be sand flying everywhere.

• @RLY I tried wearing shoes while beach riding. Doesn't work. There's no traction at all. That's where I first learned that riding barefoot can be pretty nice!

• @RLY enjoy the ride. I must get to a beach to try the ride out. Sounds like a blast.

• you can lower the tire pressure, I found it easier on the sand.
    And bring a small pump in your backpack for when you need to go back to pavements

• You can get an XLR plug off ebay to cover the charge port and tape up the power button. I fried my battery the first time I took it to the beach. I went a little deep though.

• @wr420 How do I know which one to get? I typically Amazon (I don't mind paying a few bucks extra); will any of the ones on these page suffice? http://amzn.to/2cLuVxB

• @RLY get the first option for 10 pieces. I bought those as well. Looks like they went up in price a few dollars but still not a horrible deal. You can find them on other websites for less than a dollar a piece but I don't always trust some of those sites.

• @ahxe45 @thegreck Thanks! I think I will get the $0.67 one.

• @RLY I don't think they charge any shipping either. Last time I ordered, I just bought $5 worth, since I tend to lose them every now and then.

• Still nobody in Montauk?

• @ahxe45 said in Tips for beach riding / anyone in Montauk:

@RLY biggest thing is to make sure you are on the hard packed sand. From my experience the second you hit some soft sand the wheel begins to slip and then digs itself into a hole. Also stay away from the water as much as possible. From recent posts it seems that if you submerge it too far you will ruin your board. One other thing I notice is I fall off the board a lot more on the sand especially if the beach is sloped it is hard to keep your balance. Once you get sand on the footpads and it is caked on there they become much less grippy.

I took a look at this from my private balcony:
    alt text

And decided I couldn't wait for low tide tomorrow morning. I went for a ride a couple hours after high tide... and sure enough, the wheel slipped and dug into the sand, and the sloped beach didn't help. I guess I'm waiting until morning.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.