What's going to fail first, and how?

• Spending 50% of my time on hills and weighing 220 pounds, something is going to fail sooner or later.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what component might fail and how and if I will get any warning or anything I can watch out for?

• I'm hoping for normal tire wear as my first and only failure...but the reality is, the foot sensors seem to be the most likely component to fail.

• @dalisdair Just as most people hope to die peacefully in their sleep, I hope to have a warning before my Onewheel fails.

• @Roy I would agree on the foot sensor being first to fail. The Tire would be the first to wear out but not fail I expect.

• I figured a sensor as well, but I'm concerned if there's no warning, that I may be on a hill, or near people and lose control.

• Should foot pads be changed somewhat regularly (yearly) or are the stock ones fine for a long time? I'm at 770 miles on the odometer and have the original foot pads.

• I guess my goal is trying to determine a sensible time to replace the footpads, before the sensors are likely to fail, and still get good use out of them.

I'd be happy to spend a couple of hundred extra over the life of the device, to minimize the possibility of unexpected failure, and injury and all the pain and expense of getting hurt.

Same with the motor, FM won't warranty it when it's over 2000 miles, so when would a cautious person replace the motor, or retire the Onewheel?

• I'm hoping OW 2.0 comes out before I get any failures, but honestly I don't think about it. I just ride & enjoy :)

• @dalisdair where did you hear that the warranty expires at 2000 miles?

• @dalisdair a 'cautious person' would not typically buy the Onewheel in the first place. And when they do, they usually get on the forum to sell it soon after it arrives. I personally don't have the time or energy to think about if/when the motor might fail, and I will NEVER retire the Onewheel. It makes me sad to imagine an old beat-up Onewheel sitting on a shelf collecting dust, just because it's odometer had reached a certain mileage. Don't worry about stuff so much, just ride and smile!

• I suppose I'm just a reckless fraidy cat.

• I was wrong it's 2000 Kilometers. (1243 miles)

From the manual, page 43:

The following situations are beyond the warranty scope:

......Total mileage is over 2000 km

(it list 9 other situations - like "overloading the Onewheel")

• @jordo

You will retire your Onewheel, it will not last forever. If something fails when I'm going down an uneven concrete sidewalk that has a 15% grade and 5 degree dip to the side and I get thrown teeth first into a parking meter, I won't be smiling.

• And I'm trying hard to convince myself that the scenario I've listed above isn't inevitable, sooner or later, but I haven't been able to do so yet.

• @dalisdair Quit being a debby downer, bro. Lol. Constantly fearing life is going to make you immune to the joys of it.

• @hustle

You guys baffle me, it's fine to engage in dangerous activities, it make no sense to not try and be as safe as possible.

There are examples of very serious injury on this board as I'm sure you've seen, in situations like "turning into my driveway". I don't care whether it's user error, board malfunction or failure, or a gopher hole, I'd prefer not to jack myself up.

You don't respect the Onewheel. It's a dangerous device and I hope you don't get hurt.

Discussions of safety and maintenance apparently aren't your thing. Why even take the time to chide me for trying to be as safe as I can doing something that has potential for serious injury?

I'm much older than you, probably older than your dad, probably heavier and less athletic than you, and using the Onewheel in a much more challenging and dangerous environment. If I have a serious wreck, I'm going to get hurt. On the plus side, I don't carry.

I'm a pussy and I whimper the entire time I'm on the Onewheel, deal with it.

• @dalisdair, it will cost a couple bucks, but you could treat your OW to an overhaul a couple times per year to keep it in perfect shape and minimize the chance of a mechanical failure.

• And on the flip side you could replace your perfectly good pads with new defective ones and introduce a problem where there was previously none.

• @Roy

I'd like to, it would be nice if FM could suggest a routine maintenance schedule, like a car or motorcycle manufacturer would. Lacking that, I'm not sure these things will or are intended to last more than a couple of thousand miles, even with preventative maintenance. Besides the mechanical parts and sensors, there must be many ways the electronics can get stressed, corroded, or just die of old age. With heavy use, I doubt I'll want to ride it more than two years without getting a new one.

When the tire is worn the Tune up and Reload maintenance will be reassuring, but the tire is the only thing that will obviously tell you that it needs to be replaced.

• Yes, good point, kind of like replacing your recalled airbag and having It inadvertently blow up in your face.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.