I think I want to ride the onewheel too fast

• So I'm a snowboarder by trade (not exactly for money but it's 1/2 of all of the days of my life) and I just got a onewheel used from a retailer that sold out their stock and was discounting their demo.

Here's my issue. As soon as I feel like I'm flying on the onewheel like I might feel as I'm bombing down a fresh powdery run, I get thrown right the fuck off the front of the thing onto my forward shoulder and neck.

What I've found is it happens when I'm approaching a fantastic, perfect cruising speed on the board, and I might hit a small upslope and the next thing I know I'm flying through the air and the board is nowhere below me.

I have had this happen on classic and extreme modes. It's very frustrating for me as a snowboarder, as having a downhill or forward lean is very important to riding the mountain in control, and this seems to be counter intuitive to me on the one wheel. In fact, in classic mode, the board seems to tilt rearward so much that it almost drags the ground when I'm at a comfortable speed.

I feel like I want to fall in love this thing but if it's gonna keep chucking me off the front I'll have to pass it on to someone else that is interested in going 12mph or whatever the maximum safe speed is...

• yes this is the "main issue" when you are confortable with the onewheel speed, the max speed is around 15mph in extreme, if you go over, it will first push you back, then if you fight against, it will nosedive...I'm also snowboarding very often and I'm also a little frustrating because it's really missing just maybe 3 mph to feel satisfied with the cruising speed :P

• For anyone who couldn't read the OP, here it is again. (Next time don't post it as computer code.)

@notfastenough said in I think I want to ride the onewheel too fast:

So I'm a snowboarder by trade (not exactly for money but it's 1/2 of all of the days of my life) and I just got a onewheel used from a retailer that sold out their stock and was discounting their demo. It's a ******
    Here's my issue. As soon as I feel like I'm flying on the onewheel like I might feel as I'm bombing down a fresh powdery run, I get thrown right the fuck off the front of the thing onto my forward shoulder and neck.

What I've found is it happens when I'm approaching a fantastic, perfect cruising speed on the board, and I might hit a small upslope and the next thing I know I'm flying through the air and the board is nowhere below me.

I have had this happen on classic and extreme modes. It's very frustrating for me as a snowboarder, as having a downhill or forward lean is very important to riding the mountain in control, and this seems to be counter intuitive to me on the one wheel. In fact, in classic mode, the board seems to tilt rearward so much that it almost drags the ground when I'm at a comfortable speed.

I feel like I want to fall in love this thing but if it's gonna keep chucking me off the front I'll have to pass it on to someone else that is interested in going 12mph or whatever the maximum safe speed is...

• And if you search "nosedive" and read through the 2+ years worth of posts on the subject, you'll find a lot of help. It's almost always user error and it can be corrected. My three best tips:

1. Don't EVER ride in Classic mode. This causes more wipeouts than anything else.

2. Keep your knees bent and use your legs to take the bumps, and de-weight the board whenever you see a bump or pothole coming.

3. Keep your center of gravity over the wheel and don't LEAN to go faster, just adjust the tilt of your board with your legs and stay balanced.

Good luck! I've been riding 8 months, nosedive free!

• Sounds like you might be happier with a boosted board or something similar to it, the truth is, it's not a snowboard and can't be ridden exactly like one, there are electric skateboards that can hit 30+ mph if you're primarily interested in speed.

• I just rode mine and was speeding around in elevated mode. I could feel it dipping as i approached the limit, and I had time to lean back and let off. Keeping my bearings oiled has stopped the bucking when you let off. This might be what lurches you forward. You do need to maintain these things to a certain degree. After every ride I brush mine off with a cheap paint brush on the rims. Or if theres dirt I use a wipe so that its clean when I ride it next. I also wipe the sidewalls and use tire protectant which has uv protectant in it.

• @Tartopom I concerned I can't ride the onewheel slowly enough on my terrain to be safe. I'm honestly pretty scared of it at this point. As a snowboarder yourself do you think I can learn to ride the onewheel "correctly" and therefore safely?

Thanks for your opinion.

• The result of my nosedive in Extreme mode at 14.5 mph. Shoulder broken in 4 places!

I have tried to ride again but am very nervous and afraid to ride the thing!

0_1475798741845_IMG_1722.jpg

• Sometimes this forum makes me feel like i'm in an elite class of Onewheelers lol. I've put over 2100 miles on my board and consistently hit a top speed for 24 miles an hour... I have only scratched up my hands a handful times on the OW (and now I wear gloves haha).

Today, I rode my board to work in the rain - and it was amazing. Carving through giant puddles, over 2 bridges and in downtown traffic. Over huge cracks in pavement and a bit of offroad in the park. One year later and I still love the OW more and more every day.
    //
    I don't know how long you've had your board, but here's some tips.

--Stay in extreme. I keep my tire pressure at 17psi and weigh 150lbs.
    --As you're riding around, stop and stand still on the board every once in awhile. Literally, just keep it still and balance. I challenge myself at stop signs and lights to stay as still as possible, perched on the thing haha. Focus on keeping your weight directly in the center of the wheel and feel the strength of your legs/core stabilizing your body. You will get better with time, so keep practicing!
    -I suggest doing 180 and 360 turns. Heel side and Toe side. Try to make the circle as small as possible - I like to circle around poles and statues. Practice enough and you will start to control the board without thinking - just lean!
    --Acceleration can be tricky (especially when fighting against wind) - so practice that as well. It's about shifting your weight over the wheel while keeping your feet planted firmly on the footpads - maintaining the core balance you practiced while standing still.
    --Learn the motor. There is a "sweet spot" where you can accelerate as fast as possible while not pushing the motor past it's capabilities. I think classic mode was SUPPOSED to teach you that sweet spot.... but IDK as I'v never touched classic and have heard bad things. Remember that acceleration is gradual as the wheel picks up speed. Just shift your weight and listen/feel the motor.

I suggest practicing every day - if you can. Pretty soon you will hit the speed you're looking for and have a blast with the freedom of carving around on one wheel. I keep up with boosted boards for freaking sake - something that still blows my mind.

• @notfastenough sure you will adapt the speed with time. The onewheel is great but is not a very fast toy, the max speed I went was 20mph according to the powheel app. If you really want something more speedy, have a look at the Evolve GT for example, the feeling is more like carving on slopes. For me both toys are complementary :)

@slydogstroh honestly there is no way my onewheel can keep up with my Evolve Carbon GT, except on tight terrain where the speed in not the main factor. In that case, yes, it can :)

• overbearing the nose has less to do with the speed limit and more to do with available traction(vs force). you can't snowboard down a wall.

if one had perfect traction at the wheel, the limits of the fields in the motor would be more of a factor.

pushback does causes swaying across the axle which doesn't help anything. as there is a perfect curve for each condition, for getting to speed without overbearing the nose--there is one for each condition, for rebounding pushback.

different firmwares have different limits.

• @notfastenough

think of the smooth way gravity pulls you along the snow on a board. the slope of your approach may change but gravity is always smooove. you should be too when stepping on the gas and you'll be able to go faster without touching down.

i think you would appreciate your onewheel and its limits more riding off-road. maybe a Ducati for the road.

• pick your lines

• @mrb Yes I would gladly downgrade to the firmware that pushes back a little later. Can't remember the number off hand but saw it on the board a few days ago.

• @notfastenough I would kill just to have pushback start at 17mph. I like to ride at around 15-16mph so I'm fighting to keep that nose down the entire time and it's uncomfortable.

• @thegreck exactly the same for me...

• Riding around 12mph using the app as a speedometer, I can only imagine how fast I must have been going the last time I went over the handlebars, I'm gonna guess double.

Anyway, trying to find the limits of the onewheel a little more safely :-)

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.