Onewheel arrived!

• So, I've been browsing the forums and checking out all your YouTube vids just prepping myself to pull the trigger on one of these. I responded to a "selling my board" post here and feel very fortunate to have purchased a used 7 month old board in great condition at an excellent price. Sent payment last Wednesday and the board arrived exactly a week later! Can't beat that! I'm excited to call myself a Onewheel owner now!

• CONGRATULATIONS! This is what I keep telling people who are hesitant to buy used boards... Your board is going to look several months used after one week of riding, so don't sweat the cosmetics. Only thing I'll advise is that you should avoid being overconfident in the beginning. If you're not sure of a big crack or bump, just avoid it for now.

Get out there and have a great time!

• @sidebox said:

CONGRATULATIONS! This is what I keep telling people who are hesitant to buy used boards... Your board is going to look several months used after one week of riding, so don't sweat the cosmetics. Only thing I'll advise is that you should avoid being overconfident in the beginning. If you're not sure of a big crack or bump, just avoid it for now.

Get out there and have a great time!

Definitely what sidebox said. You can save yourself a lot of pain by learning the basics first! Overconfident definitely isn't the way forward. Speaking from experience of course :wink:

I'd recommend this post by MichaelW
    http://community.rideonewheel.com/topic/256/newbie-real-world-beginners-manual

Enjoy your OW and welcome!!!

• Thank you both for the suggestions! I took it out for my first ride today and I can definitely see how one might quickly become over confident due to the ease of riding it. I don't have an iPhone so I don't know what ride setting it's set to, but there were several times where I felt a little out of control of the board. It happened the same way every time, as I gained a lot of speed I attempted to slow down by leaning back but the board didn't seem to respond the way I hoped. It maintained speed well after I attempted to back off which caused me to really have to fight for balance. The best way to describe it is I was basically doing a "manual" (for those skateboarders) at high speed. Got pretty scary and I thought for sure I was going to end up on the pavement but luckily I pulled out of it every time once the deceleration kicked in. Does anyone know if this is normal or does anyone have any similar experiences with delayed deceleration?

I should mention it was only three or four times this happened. The rest of the ride was easy sailing so to speak and the board was receptive to deceleration, etc.

• @Code-ster So, you are riding in Classic carving mode, and it sounds like you are hitting pushback, which can feel very disconcerting (it just feels so unnatural when the board nose is in the air and you are trying to slow down). If you fight it too hard the nose of the board may well dip down and accelerate super-fast. You might then either lose control and wobble your way off the board, or contact the ground and fall off that way. You'll learn to work with pushback and even accelerate despite it as you ride more and more. I highly recommend switching to Extreme mode. It sounds scary and only for advanced riders, but in reality it means that pushback will simply kick in at a higher speed. You will still have the same level of control over the speed of your board, and you won't have to worry about pushback making you feel out of control at a lower speed. I suggest borrowing a friend or family members' iphone to download the app and switch modes. You don't have to switch every time you use the board, and once changed over you shouldn't have to switch back (unless you run into a glitch at some point). There is a way to manually change with a button push combo, but it isn't recommended.

• Your board most definitely arrived in classic mode especially If it is manual'ing on you. It's probably the pushback and its lame. Do yourself a favor and get it into extreme mode soon...But still don't get too confident too soon, you will feel like a dog being let off a leash.

• Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it. My brother has a 6 Plus so... I think I'll be paying him a visit real soon to tweek my settings:smiley:

• @Code-ster Seems to me that you have to try really shifting your weight backwards, instead of trying to push your backfoot down...

• @Polle Maybe you're right... I the same issue today but at even faster speed, except this time I have the road rash as a reminder. I think I definitely need a game plan for next time and if it means stomping the rear into the pavement to create a skid I'd much rather go that route than the unharnessed speed (which I'm still trying to figure out is normal or glitched).

I'd really like to meet up with some of you guys who are close by in Santa Cruz or San Jose so you might be able to tell me if my board is riding normally or not.

• @Code-ster I work in Cupertino sometimes (will be there late next week) and would be happy to meet up there, if you want.

• @kbern Thanks! What day will you be up there? I might be able to make it.

• @Code-ster are you in the bay area or near the bay area? We have a south bay thread. I'm trying to get people to meet up for a ride! I want to meet more members!

• @enjoi408 No I'm a couple hours south in the Monterey Bay area. So far Gilroy is the farthest north I've ventured on my OW. It's funny how everywhere I go now I see terrain in a completely new light. Like, "Hey look at that... I can ride my OW there! " I love this thing!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.