Motor cutting out - any DIY fixes, or should I ship it off to FM?

• I know I've read posts about similar experiences, so if anyone wants to point me to one of those, please feel free.

My motor inexplicably cut out today. I rode about half a mile to my favorite coffee shop and felt a couple little kicks from the motor but nothing too alarming; figured it was just making its normal adjustments. Then I was rolling back and forth waiting for a traffic light and the motor just shut off. I've had that happen when I'm riding too slowly, so I just picked it up and carried it across and tried to sort it out on the other side of the road. But it refused to go after that.

When I tried to balance on it, the motor would kick in for a second and then cut out instead of pushing me forward. I turned it on and off several times and managed to travel about 20 feet on it, the motor kicking and jolting the whole way. Now when I try to stand up on it, it just rolls - no motor at all.

Other context: I had just unplugged the board from charging. The battery was not dead when I plugged it in but I'm not sure how much charge it had left. I'm sure it was plugged in for longer than 20 minutes, as I was not actively watching the charge indicator. Could that have anything to do with it? The battery cells all show the same reading at 3.32 so it seems like it should be balanced.

This is a secondhand board and is no longer under warranty, but I've had it since June and haven't had any other sensor issues that were not attributable to human error. The only other factor I can think of is that I've been practicing curb drops and maybe something got knocked out of alignment. But it was riding perfectly smooth on my way home from practicing yesterday.

• @1woman1wheel

Contact support and they'll try to trouble shoot it.
    Sounds like you may have to send it in.
    This may be a long shot, but try leaving it charging overnight or even longer.
    Also, remove the cover and make sure all plugs are tight and intact.

• @sonny123 By cover, do you mean the footpads? I haven't disassembled my board before.... little scary to think about it. I'm not sure what it should look like inside anyway.

• @1woman1wheel

No, it's the plastic cover underneath.
    Try the charging first and contact support.
    They're so helpful.
    Maybe you need new sensor pad.
    There's a video on how to change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJphZAlfB4

• @sonny123 OK - I'll plug it in overnight and see how it goes. Will it matter that it's almost fully charged now? I can't exactly run the battery down if the motor won't engage....

• @1woman1wheel

It wouldn't hurt.
    Probably it isn't the issue.
    But it's a good idea to let it charge for 24-48 hours once in a while to balance the cells.

• @sonny123 said in Motor cutting out - any DIY fixes, or should I ship it off to FM?:

@1woman1wheel

Contact support and they'll try to trouble shoot it.
    Sounds like you may have to send it in.
    This may be a long shot, but try leaving it charging overnight or even longer.
    Also, remove the cover and make sure all plugs are tight and intact.

x2

• My motor has not cut out since i pulled the grip tape up and then the sensor and put Gorilla tape under the sensor and then put the grip tape back down. The sensor sits lower in between the grip tape. My sensor is now raised and you can see it is raised after putting the grip tape back down.

Note: I only put tape under the actual sensor area so that the sensor tape could adhere back onto the wood.

• Sounds like a sensor issue to me. I've noticed the sensor on my 10-month old OW isn't quite as responsive as it was brand-new, but nothing as bad as you describe.

• @1woman1wheel - When the problem happens and your board dumps you, is the power still on? Or has the board shut down and you have to restart it?

I think the battery manager was the problem in my case. My board would shut off while riding but luckily only on the first few rides of the day when it was cold.(40F).

• @wr420 The board is still on, power button pulsing blue. (6 pulses - does that mean anything?)

I left it plugged in overnight and had to rush to work this morning, so I'll check it out tonight and post an update. I'm also in touch with someone from technical support so hopefully we can get it resolved remotely :)

• @1woman1wheel 0_1478021352937_upload-43f55e41-5382-40b8-ad85-b8558bb450f4

Were you riding downhill just after full charge?

• @Hubbitron Huh. No. I had already ridden half a mile without an issue. I guess charging it overnight was the opposite of what I should have done.

• @1woman1wheel I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think you can overcharge the battery unless there's something wrong with the electronics that you're not going to be able to solve remotely :(

• @thegreck & @1woman1wheel

Agreed overcharging should not be possible unless the electronics are defective.

• @1woman1wheel Oh No!!!!

• @1woman1wheel to my experience the 06 blink will activate in case the motor is not able to run. It is not an overcharging. So in two common cases this will occur. First if the battery is very low. And second if the board is for instance offroad and needs to work to hard to start riding in sand. I expect that low battery is the issue with your board. Try to start charging with the board Off and if not starts loading with the red light on the charger try plugging in the loader with the board first set On.

• for me it sounds like a defective sensor issue...what you can do is to check the sensors with the POWheel app :) you should be able to activate them with your fingers and play with them while looking at their status on the app. Or you could enable the logging feature and try to ride the board then check the logs :)

• @ltl said in Motor cutting out - any DIY fixes, or should I ship it off to FM?:

@1woman1wheel to my experience the 06 blink will activate in case the motor is not able to run. It is not an overcharging. So in two common cases this will occur. First if the battery is very low. And second if the board is for instance offroad and needs to work to hard to start riding in sand. I expect that low battery is the issue with your board. Try to start charging with the board Off and if not starts loading with the red light on the charger try plugging in the loader with the board first set On.

It had just been charged and was around 90% battery, on smooth pavement. So I don't think that's the issue.

• @Tartopom said in Motor cutting out - any DIY fixes, or should I ship it off to FM?:

for me it sounds like a defective sensor issue...what you can do is to check the sensors with the POWheel app :) you should be able to activate them with your fingers and play with them while looking at their status on the app. Or you could enable the logging feature and try to ride the board then check the logs :)

Can OWheelBuddy do this? That's the one I have.

• @1woman1wheel I don't know, I'm not using it...

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.