Snow Tire!

• Very interested to hear the results of this experiment for those who are trying it out.... snow season is nearly upon us here in New England, and while that means I can start snowboarding again, I'm gonna miss my OW buddy...

• Just took the snow tire around the block, here's my initial impression:

It's very round, it's a half inch smaller than the Vega tire (the Vega tire is 11.5" in diameter, the snow tire is 11"), but still rubs up against the foot pads and plastic housing when fully inflated, I had to decrease the PSI to prevent the tire from rubbing, but if I can grind down the plastic/wood by half a mm, I should be able to cruise at 20psi no problem.

That round shape makes the OW feel very unstable initially, front to back balancing takes a little bit more effort, but once you get used to it, the OW starts to feel significantly more floaty on concrete. If you thought the OW felt like riding on fresh powder before, it REALLY feels like it now, rolling from front to back is buttery smooth, and I can lean a few degrees further in the carve. Unfortunately, it doesn't improve medium to high speed carving as much as I had hoped, this might be due to the gyroscopic effect of the OW itself, the faster you go, the harder it fights to stay upright. That being said, it is easier to carve at all speeds, but pushing it will still risk coming off of a sensor or two.

It's surprisingly quiet, I like this a lot, the tire makes little to no noise at all.

What you lose in on-road stability...which isn't much, you gain in off-road stability. The flat tire of the OW forces the entire board to rock if one end hits uneven terrain, with a rounded tire, this is far less noticeable. In theory, this may reduce the foot fatigue many of us feel when on a long ride, especially in rough terrain.

The treads do collect more junk, but I didn't notice much more stuff hitting my legs, the only issue will be the junk that stays in the treads when you bring the OW in the house. Also, regarding the treads, it's hard to tell if they're necessary, I did feel more "bite" when accelerating off-road, but that could just as easily be due to the softer tire compound.

Right now the tire is under-inflated slightly, this might be contributing to some of what I've noticed, I'm going to grind out some space when I get the chance, increase the PSI, and post a proper review with pictures. For anybody interested in a rounded tire, treaded or not, do not get 11.5 like the Vega tire, get 10.5 or 11.0

• @No said in Snow Tire!:

Just took the snow tire around the block, here's my initial impression:

It's very round, it's a half inch smaller than the Vega tire (the Vega tire is 11.5" in diameter, the snow tire is 11"), but still rubs up against the foot pads and plastic housing when fully inflated, I had to decrease the PSI to prevent the tire from rubbing, but if I can grind down the plastic/wood by half a mm, I should be able to cruise at 20psi no problem.

That round shape makes the OW feel very unstable initially, front to back balancing takes a little bit more effort, but once you get used to it, the OW starts to feel significantly more floaty on concrete. If you thought the OW felt like riding on fresh powder before, it REALLY feels like it now, rolling from front to back is buttery smooth, and I can lean a few degrees further in the carve. Unfortunately, it doesn't improve medium to high speed carving as much as I had hoped, this might be due to the gyroscopic effect of the OW itself, the faster you go, the harder it fights to stay upright. That being said, it is easier to carve at all speeds, but pushing it will still risk coming off of a sensor or two.

It's surprisingly quiet, I like this a lot, the tire makes little to no noise at all.

What you lose in on-road stability...which isn't much, you gain in off-road stability. The flat tire of the OW forces the entire board to rock if one end hits uneven terrain, with a rounded tire, this is far less noticeable. In theory, this may reduce the foot fatigue many of us feel when on a long ride, especially in rough terrain.

The treads do collect more junk, but I didn't notice much more stuff hitting my legs, the only issue will be the junk that stays in the treads when you bring the OW in the house. Also, regarding the treads, it's hard to tell if they're necessary, I did feel more "bite" when accelerating off-road, but that could just as easily be due to the softer tire compound.

Right now the tire is under-inflated slightly, this might be contributing to some of what I've noticed, I'm going to grind out some space when I get the chance, increase the PSI, and post a proper review with pictures. For anybody interested in a rounded tire, treaded or not, do not get 11.5 like the Vega tire, get 10.5 or 11.0

Cool!!... Thanks for the info, I was also wondering if running the smaller tire would give a little more torque(Still wishing I hadn't upgraded firnware)..

• @No: awesome that you gave it try and thanks for sharing!!

• @No Do you think you will record video of it in action?

• @cr4p no problem, it's actually a lot of fun, now that I've got a few miles on the tire, it seems to be a legitimate improvement on a flat tire in every way, only issue is the difficulty curve is noticeably steeper but the ride is more rewarding once you learn to manage it

@drew If I get good enough to make something worth sharing, sure. The tire seriously changes the carving characteristics, last night I carved so hard that I almost flung myself off the OW, there's a lot to get used to

• I wanted to let people know that the link in this original post is to a tire that DOES NOT FIT the OneWheel! If you install this tire, you will experience rubbing on the frame (front and back) if you use tire pressure >15 PSI (and possibly at all pressures).

The one you want is 5.5" wide (this one is 6.5" wide).

Here is the correct link: https://www.hoosiermidatlantic.com/product.cfm?InvKey=70285

I ride the 11.0 x 5.5 x 6.0 Hoosier Treaded tire at 45 PSI and do not have any rubbing. I have friends with the larger tire that experience rubbing at even low pressure (15 PSI).

OP, it seems that many people are finding your post when searching for the Hoosier tire - I strongly recommend you edit your post so they know to buy the smaller width version.

• @gwinntanamo
    Is there a slick version of this Hoosier tire that you recommend? I ride mostly on pavement. Thanks!

• @wheelcity I looked very quickly and it looks like there are some options. Check here: Hoosier Tire Catalogue

#11600 looks pretty close to what you're looking for. It's 6" wide (11 x 6 x 6), which is .5" wider than the hoosier I'm riding (11 x 5.5 x 6), but I am pretty sure it'd still fit nicely.

There are other options, too - anything with those measurements will likely work.

• @wheelcity Also, I ride on pavement 90% of the time, and the treaded tire is fantastic. There's a reason cars don't have slicks - treads work great (probably better than slicks).

• @gwinntanamo said in Snow Tire!:

There's a reason cars don't have slicks - treads work great (probably better than slicks).

Actually, that makes complete sense. Car tires have grooves for better rain performance.

I wonder if a rounded Hoosier tire would perform better on dry streets if it were slick vs treaded?

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.