Waterproofing your OW

• Ride One Wheel Home Page
    C
    Waterproofing my OW
    ok so I'm a beach rider and one thing I don't want to do is to ruin my one wheel By dunking it in the ocean but shit happens . So I'm on a quest to make it waterproof or at least the best I can. I will probably have to void the warranty in the process to pot the electronic boards but hey no risk no reward. Will share my journey with you.
    Open to idea from the forum and OW developers

My plan is to nano protect all the electronic boards, pot them with marine epoxy and use TTP shrink wrap on the connectors.

Not sure what to do on the electrical wheel connections haven't dug into that yet. I'm also being weight conscience, don't want to change the designed operations .

Please share your ideas.

Who knows , maybe one day we'll be riding into waves.

• There is a spray I use on my quadcopters for electronic boards. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but I'm sure you could find it if you google it.

• @resistgravity said in Waterproofing your OW:

@ahxe45 Are you thinking of CorrosionX?

https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Technologies-91002-CorrosionX-trigger/dp/B0009GYRWW

not the same brand I used but same idea.

• @ahxe45 Nano protect is similar but can submerge board

• @cocoabeachW1 ok so here's what the controller board looks like on the inside. Not really sealed tight. The grey hole on the bottom it a direct entry point for water - by the way - removing the cover like this will void your warranty - of course so will riding it into water so ...

• This post is deleted!

• 0_1481151387100_image.jpeg

• @cocoabeachW1 next step is to spay boards and figure out a potting strategy for board/ connectors

• @cocoabeachW1 that may be the brand I use. I couldn't find the bottle last night. Thanks for the pictures and confirming my suspicions that the board is not as water "resistant" as they advertise. I am honestly amazed that @Future-Motion hasn't been told by their lawyers to stop showing people riding on the beach/through more than a puddle of water. Someone pissed off enough and with enough money could easily fight that in court.

• Especially when it wouldn't be hard at all for them to seal the electronics up just a little bit more. They are like 85% of the way there just need some tweaking and they would have an almost 100% waterproof board. Also that would make sense that the port you mention is a direct entry point for water. Seems like anyone that has either ridden through to deep a puddle or had water up to the footpads have had issues.

• @ahxe45 thanks for the post and I agree - plugging the hole on the controller end and the on the battery department would help prevent water instrution - not sure of the purpose of the holes other than to let water Drain and in out and cha Ching you get to pay ow more money to fix/replace - I'm guessing they call it the money hole : ) I say that with tongue and cheek , the purpose for the hole maybe driven by thermal or venting requirement.

• @cocoabeachW1 ok plugged the hole with silicone and sprayed connectors with nano protect0_1481281805851_image.jpeg

Next step is to flex seal this side of the case

• @cocoabeachW1 said in Waterproofing your OW:

@ahxe45 thanks for the post and I agree - plugging the hole on the controller end and the on the battery department would help prevent water instrution - not sure of the purpose of the holes other than to let water Drain and in out and cha Ching you get to pay ow more money to fix/replace - I'm guessing they call it the money hole : ) I say that with tongue and cheek , the purpose for the hole maybe driven by thermal or venting requirement.

Let us know if you have any issues with overheating once you seal it.

• Just got my one wheel and its a little bit wet outside, not raining. Just noticed this post. Have you guys heard a lot about one wheels getting ruined after riding in damp/wet conditions? Don't want to ruin it right out of the box, but can't wait to ride!!

• avoid the rain and water at all cost. See my earlier post on problems with water and the front for pad/sensor.

• @ahxe45 will do

• @EmergenCJ from my experience I haven't had problem riding in a light rain - an I don't go thought deep puddles - there are open holes in the ends of the board so there is a risk albeit a small one in light rain - sorry for the non answer

• @ahxe45 ok

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.