FM's redesigned fender is bombproof!

• OK so I'm just wanting to give @Future-Motion mad props for the 2nd generation fender. I've sent my rig tumbling multiple times now and thought "Fing $#*! There goes another fender" only to find a few scratches. And when I say sent tumbling I mean unstoppable end over end kenetic pirouetting that made me close my eyes.
    The new fender has the riser shims built in which will be cool for everyone who has a factory footpad setup. No more fumbling around with shims. For me I had to slice the risers off with my Japanese pull saw in order for the fender to interface with my continuous concave deck. Anyways just wanted to let the OW community know that FM has solved the breakable fender issue!
    @njcustom I still want to work with you on a solution to integrate your carbon fenders with my decks. Mad respect for you as a maker bro your fenders are gorgeous and super clever!

• @ashewheeler said in FM's redesigned fender is bombproof!:

OK so I'm just wanting to give @Future-Motion mad props for the 2nd generation fender. I've sent my rig tumbling multiple times now and thought "Fing $#*! There goes another fender" only to find a few scratches. And when I say sent tumbling I mean unstoppable end over end kenetic pirouetting that made me close my eyes.
    The new fender has the riser shims built in which will be cool for everyone who has a factory footpad setup. No more fumbling around with shims. For me I had to slice the risers off with my Japanese pull saw in order for the fender to interface with my continuous concave deck. Anyways just wanted to let the OW community know that FM has solved the breakable fender issue!
    @njcustom I still want to work with you on a solution to integrate your carbon fenders with my decks. Mad respect for you as a maker bro your fenders are gorgeous and super clever!

Are you selling those decks?

• I can confirm, a co-worker got a new OW last week and the fender is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger and thicker than the original.

• @parrothd yes but no! I'm in Cali right now working but plan on doing a production as soon as I get back to Asheville so hopefully will be taking orders early 2017. Still working on pricing and leaning up the process but I have generated a lot of interest locally in Asheville and have my work cut out just getting those decks done. This next batch will be a huge learning experience and hopefully teach me how to lower the cost so more people are likely to invest. It hands down changes the physics of the board in mine and many others opinion for the better so once people get on it I feel like it will speak for itself. I will keep you posted as I get things rolling.

• @ashewheeler you're not kidding. The OG fender on the wide deck you left me is completely night and day from the new fender. I'm terrified to dump the wide deck and explode the fender!

When you cruising back through Sac?

• @jeffmccosker I've been meaning to call you Im rolling through tomorrow sometime and need to scoop that wheel probably don't have time for a long ride but maybe a short one. I will text you instead of blabbering on the interweb.

• @jeffmccosker do a cool exploding fender trick! I'm gonna get a new fender when I'm in Santa Cruz!

• Yesterday a car pulled out in front of me and Unfortunately I hit the side of the car. The Onewheel was lodged under the car, but I managed to yank it out and there was no damage to the fender. Good build indeed!

• @drew I knew I liked this company! Can't wait to see v2 of the Onewheel! Guess I'd better start saving my pennies...

• @drew I had a fire truck run mine over .. no damage lol

• @njcustom Woah.

• @njcustom Sorry for running over your board. I'm kidding, it wasn't me since I drive a rescue anyway. I would have had you come to the station for dinner after something like that, lol

• I recently got a factory Future Motion fender, but I don't know if it's the new design or not. I also already have an njcustom fender.

When I attached the FM fender with screws, it almost instantly got clogged with wet leaves, which I had to try to dig out with a stick. I didn't have an Allen key on hand to take the fender off.

The magnets on the njcustom fender aren't nearly strong enough, so it regularly rattles off, and even blew off in the wind.

The solution I have to both of these are clips made from metal pallets banding. I have been tweaking the design, but basically they pinch down the 4 corners good enough to hold the fender on, but are easy to remove if you have to clear gunk out, or if you just don't need a fender. (Also, it's probably good to take the wet fender off so the wooden deck can dry out.)

Both fenders work fine. The njcustom one looks awesomer. I was going to put a bunch of stickers on the FM one.

I got caught out in the rain on the beach without a fender the other day, and was quickly reminded how pathetic that is.

• Mine rarely comes off even on flipover. If you sink the screws to deep the magnets won't stick.. Maybe check the magnets and the screws, I have one corner that's weaker than the others..

• I'd post a pic but it's a pain in the ass. I made my own fender of fiberglass with imbedded magnets in the four foot tabs. On the rails, I removed the screws and used epoxy to set magnets about the size of the screw head. Got neodymium magnets from home depot.
    Alright alright I'll take pics..

• 0_1481982761992_rsz_screenshot_20161217-083258.jpg
    I molded it right onto the board over the magnets so where it overlaps the deck it is very snug. It stays on thru small to medium rollovers.
    0_1481983409896_rsz_screenshot_20161217-083309.jpg

The magnets inside the fender feet are two .5" wide neodymium stacked in each foot
    0_1481982973018_rsz_screenshot_20161217-083322.jpg
    To build, I began by building up a spacer mold right over top the onewheel with cardboard and painters tape. Then I snugly covered the whole thing in plastic wrap and layered fiberglass matte right on the plastic. Yada ya, sanding, beers, drying, trimming, quick spray. Ready to rock. And deflect tiny rocks

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.