Noob Questionaire

• While my BB V2 pre-order continues to delay and disappoint me, I'm thinking more and more about cancelling and buying a OW instead. However, converting from a traditional e-skate to a OW has me wondering many things that I am hoping the community here can help me work through.

I'm mainly planning on using it for fun, although I will attempt to use it for practical applications when possible (navigating around downtown, farmers markets, etc).

• My main concern is the battery. Since it isn't user maintainable, I am worried that once its output decreases (or it dies), that there's no way of fixing it and it will forever be handicapped. Looking at the service section of the website, I don't see any service that includes a new battery. I realize the batteries have a long lifespan, but for $1500 I'm hoping to use it for more than just the 3 or so years the battery has good life. Has anyone had experience with EOL on their battery?
    • I've read that your foot has to be placed on the pressure pads while riding or the board will essentially turn off. If you go off a curb and you lose pressure, or your foot slips off the pads momentarily during a turn, will this cause crashes?
    • I've read some posts that it is susceptible to water (specifically the pressure pads). Is this becoming a more regular problem?
    • How common is it to get flats? I live in an area where goat heads (puncture vine) thrive. They typically wreak havoc on mountain bike tires, but is the Vega tire thicker or more puncture resistant?
    • Can the tire be changed at home without specialty equipment?
    • How is customer service?
    • Are the lights actually bright enough to use for night riding, or is it more for the novelty of it?
    • Is wrecking/bailing a part of life on the OW? It seems like most videos I see of OW in action, the rider falls or bails multiple times.
    • Is locking them up to a bike rack common practice? It seems a pain to carry it around when mobile and not in use.

Anything else of importance to consider?

• @Rig Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries have a very long lifespan, as they only lose a small percentage of their capacity every few thousand charges. I think you'll be able to go a lot longer than 3 years. And the battery is serviceable by Future Motion: https://onewheel.com/collections/service/products/reload-combo-pack?variant=4937870596 (if they're checking the battery life here, clearly they'll be able to do something about it if something is wrong.

The front pad has 2 sensors (heel and toe) and both have to have pressure on them to initially activate, but only one needs to have pressure on it once you're moving over .5 (point five) mph, so that if you lift your toe or heel while turning, you won't suddenly stop. If you take pressure off of BOTH sensors, the motor will stop, but you have about the count of One Mississippi before that happens, so you can go over bumps or off curbs without worrying about it.

The tire is very puncture resistant. It's a professional Vega Go-Kart tire. It comes pre-Slimed, and can take a lot of abuse. I've had to pull pieces of metal out of mine before, and it's still going strong after a year of riding.

Tire can be changed at home. Do a forum search. Most of these questions have already been answered here as well.

Lights aren't for you to see in the dark, but more for people to see you. I carry a flashlight when night-riding.

What board sport is falling/bailing not a big part of the action? Ever watched a Thrasher skate video? Most videos, people are trying pretty extreme stuff when they bail, or else they're just not very experienced. I very rarely have to bail, and have never had a serious fall. Just start slow, and it's all worth it.

• @Rig said in Noob Questionaire:

While my BB V2 pre-order continues to delay and disappoint me, I'm thinking more and more about cancelling and buying a OW instead. However, converting from a traditional e-skate to a OW has me wondering many things that I am hoping the community here can help me work through.

I'm mainly planning on using it for fun, although I will attempt to use it for practical applications when possible (navigating around downtown, farmers markets, etc).

• My main concern is the battery. Since it isn't user maintainable, I am worried that once its output decreases (or it dies), that there's no way of fixing it and it will forever be handicapped. Looking at the service section of the website, I don't see any service that includes a new battery. I realize the batteries have a long lifespan, but for $1500 I'm hoping to use it for more than just the 3 or so years the battery has good life. Has anyone had experience with EOL on their battery?

LIfep04 is pretty good battery tech but worse case I'm sure the pqck can be disassembled and rebuilt with new cels.

• I've read that your foot has to be placed on the pressure pads while riding or the board will essentially turn off. If you go off a curb and you lose pressure, or your foot slips off the pads momentarily during a turn, will this cause crashes?

Foot has to be on both sensors to keep ot running under .5 mph and only one sensor over .5mph. Even if you have both feet off the sensors over .5mph it will still stay on for 1 sec or so. Long enough to go off 12+ inch curbs and other drop offs.

• I've read some posts that it is susceptible to water (specifically the pressure pads). Is this becoming a more regular problem?

I did kill a board by driving in a lake but have not had real problems with the sensors although some here have had issues with them with photos to prove it.

• How common is it to get flats? I live in an area where goat heads (puncture vine) thrive. They typically wreak havoc on mountain bike tires, but is the Vega tire thicker or more puncture resistant?

Hard to say for sure cuase I'm not familiar with that plants spikes but I think they slime the tires from the factory.

• Can the tire be changed at home without specialty equipment?

More or less depending on your definition of special equiptment. Spoons is all you need once the tire is off.

• How is customer service?

Prettty damn good.

• Are the lights actually bright enough to use for night riding, or is it more for the novelty of it?

I only ride at night...mostly

• Is wrecking/bailing a part of life on the OW? It seems like most videos I see of OW in action, the rider falls or bails multiple times.

I've never hurt myself. I drive fast at night on uneven surfaces.

• Is locking them up to a bike rack common practice? It seems a pain to carry it around when mobile and not in use.

I use a heavy duty motorcycle chain link lock.

Anything else of importance to consider?

That shit is fun boy!! <- (don't be a menace to south central while drinking your gin and juice in the hood)

• Hi Rig,
    I’m a relatively new One Wheeler (about 2 months) I can answer some of your questions.
    A bit of background, a misspent youth surfing and skating (a lot), I also considered the BB. I live in suburban Australia, my city has great cycle paths but my concern was that the ever present sticks, cracks and road crossings would mean I was constantly stopping to kerb hop or go flying off when the wheels caught some debris. My intention was to use the OW to commute the 2.4 km (1.5 miles) to work. This was why I chose the OW.
    To date I’m still blown away, the thing is awesome. I ride to work and back and don’t need to charge during the day, average speed is about 20kph (12.5Mph) my top speed is 29kph (18Mph) don’t get off at all, door to door.

Battery:
    Can’t answer your question about battery life, I have similar concerns. I’m really impressed with charge life, can ride 8km (5 Mile) per charge.

Sensor:
    The sensors are more like the safety key on a tread mill at the gym.
    Basically, both need to be active to start, once moving one can be deactivated, say you hit a bump or something and all is well. To stop, you slide/roll/lift your foot off one of the sensors and when stationary the board disengages. I have had no problem with the sensors and feel they have got this aspect spot on. Have had zero crashes from sensor issues, ridden about 100 miles.

Water:
    I’ve seen videos of the OW on the beach etc, the wettest I’ve had it is through puddles after rain. No issue for me but this is not an area I have pushed the limits.

Tyre:
    Again I’ve not tested this extensively, but it’s a Go-Kart tyre, much more similar to a car tyre than mountain bike I’ve ridden over broken glass at times with no problem. Maybe some of the crew who have 6 months + experience could give a better answer. I haven’t changed the tyre (yet)

Service:
    Bought mine locally. FM were quick to respond to emails I had pre purchase, but I have had no formal business with them.

Lights:
    Yes and no, I use them to get home, no problem on a dark cycle path or road, but I don’t jump on the board for fun at night to tear up the single track. They’re better than I expected.

Wrecking ball:
    The only times my OW has been stacked is searching for top speed. At the OW’s top speed, the nose can dip and clip the ground. This only happens at extreme speed. Basically because to accelerate you add force down on the nose and at top speed it struggles to keep you level that’s when things go wrong. It’s worth noting this is not a super speed vehicle. As a rider it would be relatively easy to go 25-30 mph, however as the board cannot maintain stability at excessive speed, the limit is with the equipment not the rider.

Locking:
    I’ve got a small chain and pad lock, similar to a Wallet chain, but rarely use it. If I’m at the bar or Cafe I take it to the table.

What Else?
    I looked into the cheaper Chinese versions but practical reviews are pretty much nonexistent, I’d still like to a Pepsi Challenge but for me the unknowns were too great given they are still more than AU$1000.

I would suggest removing the Bumpers and adding some bolts as soon as you get it, 90% of the scraping and damage to these will happen in the first week.

I’ve been happy with my choice and use it every day.

Hope this helps with your decision making

Mr Camel

• Wow, thanks for all the experienced feedback @thegreck. That helps tremendously. Those little nuance details were exactly what I was looking for!

• @wr420 Thanks, that's all very helpful and further concretes my thoughts on how good OW really is. Starting to really get interested.

• @MrCamel Great info, especially from a beginner perspective and someone who also considered a BB. Glad to hear it's met your expectations, now I'm even more interested.

Question, why would I remove the bumpers, and what does adding bolts do?

• @Rig

You just add bolts to the bumpers to protect them, they go back on.
    Basically the best place to learn is big flat areas like asphalt, but the constant scraping while learning tears the bumpers to shreds.
    If you get the replacement set and fender, I suggest, adding bolts to one set learning on them and keeping the spare set stock.

http://community.onewheel.com/topic/1346/bumpers/19

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.