Slick Hoosier replacement tire- I found a winner

• As some of you know, I bought a replacement tire based on No's Hoosier treaded tire review. http://community.onewheel.com/topic/6294/hoosier-treaded-tire-review

I went with a slick tire by Hoosier below. This is the exact tire and compound.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/15600A40/10002/-1

I went through Njcustom's Tire change tutorial to get an idea of what was in store for me.
    http://community.onewheel.com/topic/3590/tire-change-here-is-the-tutorial

Thank you guys for taking this on first so I had a good starting point.

I will not be posting pictures of the tire change or it mounted on the board.

The tire is a half inch narrower than the Vega and No's treaded Hoosier tire.

Here is where I found a winner. I think because No's tire has tread, he had to modify the board for it to fit, Not only did i not have to mod the board, I have more clearance on either side between the battery box and the front plug area compared to the treaded tire and the stock Vega tire, 1/2 inch at the front and 3/8 of an inch at the back, these are pretty exact measurements.

Tire pressure, I can't find my digital tire guage right now but I first rode it at a lower pressure which felt decent but i bumped it up to where when I push on it, it gives slightly to my thumb.

Ride quality, it's more responsive to turns both slow and fast. I can ride at say 10 to 12 mph and stall the tail turning the board sideways at a stop with very little effort.

The stock Vega makes the board feel like a longer board where this tire makes the board respond like it is shorter, like a short board surfboard.

Slime- Nope, I left it out on purpose. The board accelerates faster wiith the reduced ground contact and nothing inside to slow the roll.

I had initial problems breaking the bead of the tire from the rim but once i figured it out, I used spoons and a friend to help me take the Vega off and mount the Hoosier. You really have to work on pushing down hard on the sidewall to break it from the rim.

So to wrap things up, 1/2 narrower, better clearance, more rounded profile, quicker acceleration, ridiculous turning and even standing over the board at rest is not terribly hard to get used to even with the tire inflated to almost full.

I will probably not go back to a Vega anytime soon.

I will update on wear characteristics and sidewalk clearances etc as i get out and about on it. I have to sleep for now, work wore me out.

• That's awesome, sounds like you got exactly what you wanted! I'd be interested in the slick but I can't give up my traction on sand, my best trails are in the desert and the treaded tire has a bit of an edge there. It's just cool that people are trying new things, I think the tire is the key to the OW's overall "feel" and if we find more tires that'll fit, we can really push the OW's performance past it's limits

• @No Yea man, thank you for exploring a new tire to try. I would have gone right back to a Vega if not for your review. I can see quick change tire/axle assemblies in the future along with removable battery packs for the OW. I have another idea to dampen vibration under the footpads which could either be one sided sticky rubber tape or weatherstripping of some sort. It's great to see people venturing out and creating aftermarket mods for our boards.

One note: I got out and about in my neighborhood on the streets and sidewalks. I decided to let some air out so it would have a little more give for cracks and uneven terrain. What surprised me is that the lower air pressure had almost zero effect on the turning ability of the board while soaking up bumps much better.

If you guys and girls try this tire, do NOT apply the same foot pressure in turns as with the Vega tire, you will find yourself dealing with some crazy rocker stalls. That's it, this tire adds more rocker to the board. I found myself putting more front pressure on in heelside turns to keep from going sideways at higher speeds. At lower speeds, I can run fast up to a light post or any obstacle and crank around it in about a foot radius, it's ridiculous.

I got up to about 17 mph on my street and it felt fine tracking straight.

If you like to turn, do figure eights, surf the world, try this tire out. I don't regret changing it.

For those of you starting out, wear the Vega out first. learn the board and give it a shot.

• Tire update

Since the tire is smaller and I was running a lower tire pressure today, I didn't quite make it to my gym which is my regular trip. About 5.7 miles. Missed it by about a half a block.

I added 5 bike pump inflations to it tonight and i still like the ride.

If any of you are going to try this tire, I suggest pumping it up to a point where when you go to start on the board, push down on the front pad and you should see just a small amount of flex to the sidewall, not squishy. Now if you are going offroad, go for some squishy, lol

Once I find my digital guage, I can give you an exact psi

• I did the 11/6.5/6 treaded hoosier and run it at 15 psi. It didn't rub too much when I first put it on so I just ran the board off the ground and hit it with an old school metal file over the center of the tire. Now no more rubbing. I'll probably add more air as time goes on and the tire wears. I do really like the increased manuverability of the rouded tire. Can't wait to try the treaded tire on a wet and muddy golf course and see if it helps.

• @wr420 Congrats on the successful install, which compound did you get?

• @No I went with the hardest I could find available for that tire, D30. Still soft though, but not foamy.
    I've been out a few nights and holy shit!, I'm pretty much in snowboard gear. lol

• @wr420 Sounce nice man, the wear hasn't gotten much worse on mine, but I'll be going with the D30 for sure next time

• are you moving faster with the smaller circumfrance and smaller contact patch?

keep in mind your speedometer counts revs and will read a little fast.

• I went with the A40 compound and I'm running it at 13.5 psi

• @Earthpilot I probably would have gone with A40 but it was not available on the threaded model. I think the A30 is still realitivly soft stuff but it's not foamy like the A10.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.