10+ Mile V1... We can do it :)

• Right, now that the V2 is out, which i'll probably be ordering any second, it's time to HACK/MOD the hell out of our V1's

To be honest, all i really wanted was more range, so many of my journeys/trails are 8-9 miles and that's just a pain with the current range.

Right here goes.

1. replace all 16 18650 batteries with 26650 batteries. ( other than capacity they have the exact same spec as 18650, he says without that much research :p )

[http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/speciality-size-rechargeable-batteries/8183009/](link url)

or

[http://batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Li-Ion-26650-size-battery---3.2-V-3300-mAh-with-solder-tags-1902.html](link url)

1. Job done, go shred :)

Okay, it may not be as simple as this so that's why I want to hear from others if they can spot any obvious flaws in my plans.

• they will fit. (tight but with a custom built pack they should just squeeze in there)
    • Does the BMS charge measure the voltage or also somehow the (mah) as well..???

If it's voltage only then maybe it should all just work as before without any modifications to the BMS (charging system ) otherwise the whole thing could be a pain...

Lets get this done.. So, Please HELP.... As by spring/summer I so want a 10+ mile Onewheel.

0_1483616295230_rsz_img_0136.jpg

• @Zen.Potatoes this is rad!!!

• @Zen.Potatoes Now that's what I'm talking! Way to go! Keep us informed please.

• i know with new consumer electronics they form batteries to fit smaller cases. Wonder if they could make a fender that doubles as an external battery?

• @Franky
    That is a brilliant concept which would really impact range due to the available space claim. I am aware of a customer fender maker to work with once the battery side is solved.... @njcustom

• I would absolutely invest 400+ bucks to make this happen! The last thing I want to do is leave my OW at home in favor of other boards with greater range... I have been reading up on electric-skateboard.builders about skate builds lately and THIS is the OW upgrade I have been looking for. I wish I was more technically adept to be able to help you with the mod, but I'm not. Please keep us updated and I will continue to research on my own as well. Best of luck! I'm excited to see where this goes.

• Keep going. Be careful. Good luck!!!!

• @Zen.Potatoes As far as I remember, the battery pack is already a 16 x 26650. Did you try to open the blue plastic wrap to check it out?
    The BMS measures each cell voltage, so changing the cells may not be a problem. Again I'm not completely sure. Some electronic geek could give us the answers.

• @marcelo You could be right.... but I'm pretty sure they are 18650 batteries... but I don't know the exact spec (mAh per cell) but I'm sure i did read & see pics (somewhere) once that each 4x18650 in the onewheel = 6900 mAh which would be about 1780mAh per cell... So a 3300mAh 22650 batteries would roughly double the range.

Soon I will open up the pack and get the exact spec of each cell... but if anyone does know please SHOUT!

But if they are 22650 or very close to 3300mAh per cell then time for plan 2.

Plan 2.

Redesign the pack end so the battery is removable... this was originally my first idea maybe even using a carbon fibre 3d printer... but this would take a LOT more design work and effort to redesign the back end and spec suitable connectors.... pretty big project that i doubt i have the time for... so really hope plan 1 is do-able...

I plan to start this project in about 4 weeks once work and other commitments calm down a little..as just don't have the time at the mo....

• I love how on this forum there's loads of guys not afraid to innovate and modify your boards. I will be watching this thread carefully. Best of luck I'm not that brave lol.

• Damn, I would love to see this. Quick questions @Zen-Potatoes and anyone else that can answer...

If you do redesign the back end and have something that juts out a bit/removable... Will that change in the board's weight mess with the calibrated auto balance? As well as make it vulnerable to water damage?

I would love to see the fender attachment battery that perhaps connects to the original battery and acts as an extension. Would be great to feed a flat wire through the top or side of the footboard directly into the battery.

I don't know shit about electronics or how this board works btw. Just want to see this magic work!

• @Zen-Potatoes I def recommend checking out electric-skateboard.builders and maybe posting about this project. The guys there seem to know their stuff and could probably help make this happen.

• @braswell I'm fairly sure the self-balancing mechanism is completely based on the tilt of the board, and has nothing at all to do with weight (and definitely not enough that a few ounces would matter). Gotta remember, most of the weight that's getting balanced comes from the rider, and the board has no way of knowing how much weight that is... it's just trying to level the board by going in the direction of the tilt of the deck.

• @braswell said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

If you do redesign the back end and have something that juts out a bit/removable... Will that change in the board's weight mess with the calibrated auto balance? As well as make it vulnerable to water damage?

Pretty sure the auto balance is gyro based.. otherwise incorrect shoes could throw it off... but i could be wrong... pretty much everything I do in life is based on assumptions, guesses and random thoughts... :)

Also yeah... Plan 2 to redesign the back end, I really need to state is a HUGE PROJECT.. the main one being the connectors so that it can disconnect easily and that the power can NEVER fail as that would result in crash and thats just unacceptable, plus there are also just so many other things to consider in a good design... it really is months+ of work to get right & it needs to be done right...

That's why the simplest solution to the range issue is just to use the exact same cells voltage wise with the same spec but just greater (mAh) capacity... 1 day of work max to build new battery cell and fit to OneWheel....

• @Zen.Potatoes said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

pretty much everything I do in life is based on assumptions, guesses and random thoughts... :)

When I die in Glorious battle I will ascend to Valhalla!

• 18650 = 18m diameter x 65mm long
    26650 = 26mm diameter x 65mm long

Are you sure they will fit?

Tight fit is not advisable. Cells grow when hot, squeezing them can cause failure (see Samsung Note 7 problems). 16 fully charged cells going into thermal runaway can burn your house down.

• @borist said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

Tight fit is not advisable. Cells grow when hot, squeezing them can cause failure (see Samsung Note 7 problems). 16 fully charged cells going into thermal runaway can burn your house down.

I think this is less of a concern if using LiFePO4 batteries (as ship with the OneWheel) than in LiPo, or Li-Ion.

• @borist as Mekon said, it shouldn't be an issue with the correct type of HIGH QUALITY batteries, which these will be. Plus they should fit as currently there is about 15mm space between each battery (width wise) and 10+mm at each end.. so it will be a good fit but they shouldn't be squeezed at all and still have a mm of play at each side/top... but if not... then this is a simple redesign of the battery end tray (just a basic copy) but with a few extra mm space where required...

my main concerns is

• will BMS still work and charge correctly with increased mAh cells..

I just want more range damn it :D plus in the UK it takes 40 mins to charge not 20 so waiting around is a pain....

• @Zen.Potatoes maybe this will help you:
    https://youtu.be/Iw2cKDn6KPs

• @borist said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

18650 = 18m diameter x 65mm long
    26650 = 26mm diameter x 65mm long

Are you sure they will fit?

^ So much this. Fun fact: the zero at the end of the number indicates cell shape, in this case they are 'O' shaped.

• Something to think about is whether or not the current battery assembly is a structural part of the OW before trying to design a removable pack.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.