The quick charger is a bit worrying..

• [SOLVED]

Recently having read up a bit about batteries, the lack of a slow charger is a bit worrying. All facts and data point to a slow charge is a lot more gentle way to charge a battery, and not having a choice of a slow charge means that we are going to mishandle the batteries quite some and they are going to loose out on performance faster. This means we are going to have to send back the boards to FM quicker, and for us in Europe its going to be extremely expensive, just by adding about 300$ for one way shipping.

The charger should have an option, quick or normal charging..

Thoughts from electronic engineers and alike?

• @BadWolf these batteries are designed to be charged fast.. And leaving it plugged in over night balances them.. They should last a few years

• @carlo is well into 2000 recharges and he still gets perfect milage. I don't think this is really an issue. Hope that helps! @badwolf

• @njcustom said:

@BadWolf these batteries are designed to be charged fast.. And leaving it plugged in over night balances them.. They should last a few years

Whats your source to that fact? If you look up the actual component of the battery, the datasheet for just that chemical mixture, they ARE long lasting litium batteries, but it says nowhere that they would magiclly be "built to fastcharge", quite the opposite. Batteries dont like being charged fast and they take a hit.

• @MichaelW said:

@carlo is well into 2000 recharges and he still gets perfect milage. I don't think this is really an issue. Hope that helps! @badwolf

Thanks! Yeah, that is helpful :) just to check, he IS using a fast charger?

• Yes. He uses the fast charger. Has clocked in over 10,000 miles! Pretty amazing!! @njcustom @badwolf

• @MichaelW said:

Yes. He uses the fast charger. Has clocked in over 10,000 miles! Pretty amazing!! @njcustom @badwolf

Nice.. thats awesome. Thanks for clearing out my questions in the matter!

• @BadWolf Simple equation, 1 milliamp battery gets charged at 1 amp.. The OW charger is 3.5 amps.. Although I don't know the milliamps of the OW battery I believe it's over 3.5 milliamps.. The reason I believe so it because of the milage I get .. I'm very familiar with batteries..

• Correct me if I'm wrog but:

Full capacity (1C) is charged in 20minutes -> So charger is able to charge three bateries (3C) in one hour. 3C during one hour must be equal to 3.5Ah (3500mAh, charger output), which means battery capacity is 1,17Ah. For this type of battery chargin current up to 10c is allowed (in this case 11,7A), depending on battery quality. 3C is safe.

Seems like battery in OW is quite small (56Wh = 1,17Ah * 48V), but this is explanation for its smaller range comparing to Airwheel.

• @Kwok my OW is 130wh

• @njcustom Where can I find this information?

• @njcustom if your battery is 130wh (where did you find the info?), it would have to be 130wh/48v = 2.7AH

The charger is clearly labeled as a 3.5 amp charger. a 2.7AH battery would take 54 minutes to charge.... (2.7/3.5 = 0.9 x 60 minutes)

most people have stated that their chargers take about 30 minutes to charge. 30 minutes @ 3.5amps would be 1.75AH = 84wh

• @tomtnt Agree. If 30min probably less than 84wh because charging current is always lower at the end of the process.

• It's on the bottom of the board etched in the blue aluminum.. My charger is 20 mins or less.. Never ever more then 20 mins even when 100% dead

• 0_1447799860121__20151117_173655.JPG

• @njcustom weird.. my older onewheel doesn't have that etching....... so 58v.... 130wh / 58v = 2.2AH..... still can't figure out how they do a 20 minute charge... 2.2AH at 3.5A charger should be about 35 minutes

• @tomtnt Some numbers are wrong or our logic is wrong (don't think so). I'm wondering why they just can not put battery capacity into specification. Anyway there is more strange things in this product and FM approach ;)

• @Kwok I think the battery is over 4000mah /milliamps

• I believe you divide the amp hours by volts.. So i now believe the OW is 7500 mah.. 7500÷58v is roughly 130wh.. Makes sense to me

• @njcustom um, that's not correct electrical math....

Wh = mAh × V / 1000

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/mah-to-wh.htm

a 7500mah battery would be 435wh!

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.