Aversion to Pads

• Why do so many people have such an aversion to safety equipment? Helmets? Wrist guards? Elbow pads? Knee pads?
    It reminds me of the time when people used to scoff at skiers and snowboarders for wear helmets.
    Compare that to people who don't wear helmets on motorcycles - they know the risks and don't advise people not to wear helmets, they just don't want to wear helmets - that's their choice (where legal to choose). I don't think it's the same with skateboards/onewheels where it seems to be more of a peer pressure thing.
    The choice to wear safety equipment is yours, but if you are not wearing it because you are worried about what other people think, don't be silly and think for yourself.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-rider-dies-protesting-motorcycle-helmet-law/story?id=13993417

• It's not an aversion as much as it's a choice. I don't wear pads because I choose to keep my speed at a safe level where I know I can handle a fall, also I very rarely choose to ride at a location so dangerous that it warrants additional protection. Obviously there's always a risk, and objectively speaking, wearing full pads is the best solution, but I don't live my life in fear of the 0.1% chance a tragic accident might happen. Hopefully this doesn't sound condescending to people that choose to wear pads, but we all have different preferences.

• @HansBoobie Don't know what to say... I just don't like how helmets and pads feel. Nothing to do with what other people think. I've been riding without a helmet for a year and a half, and have been lucky thus far. My trade off for ow+ with my wife was that I start wearing a helmet. I guess I'll slap an oversized bowling ball on my head next month. No chance that I'll start wearing pads, though. The risk reward trade off math just doesn't make sense. I like to be able to grab my OW and take off to wherever I'm headed. A helmet won't be a big deal, but to strap all those pads on to avoid a skinned elbow or knee just doesn't make sense to me.

• For those of us who ride motorcycles, you can probably relate to this. There are two types of Onewheel riders: those that have been down, and those that will be going down :)

• After my first couple of crashes purely from pushing the limits, I found these are to be great pads..

[http://g-form.com/](link url)

Very comfy and under clothes no one know you are wearing them... they have saved me at least a couple of times now and allowed me to just carry on with only my pride hurt a little...

If I'm just popping to the shops I don't bother with pads, but if I'm going for a shred session at 19mph+ then def pads and gloves are a must..

• @No said in Aversion to Pads:

It's not an aversion as much as it's a choice. I don't wear pads because I choose to keep my speed at a safe level where I know I can handle a fall, also I very rarely choose to ride at a location so dangerous that it warrants additional protection. Obviously there's always a risk, and objectively speaking, wearing full pads is the best solution, but I don't live my life in fear of the 0.1% chance a tragic accident might happen. Hopefully this doesn't sound condescending to people that choose to wear pads, but we all have different preferences.

Well said.

• After taking my share of falls I have found that gloves are a must. Never had an issue with hitting my head. So don't really use a helmet. Don't really ride around cars. I only wear elbow and knee pads off road. Never ride without gloves if you ask me.

Looks like your connection to Onewheel Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.